Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awful QF/Jetstar Experience!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
Well it is painted onto the fuselage right under their name - photo.
But not on

3K (Jetstar Asia) - photo.

or

BL (Jetstar Pacific) -
photo.

which are ~49% and ~10% owned by Qantas.

I believe the OP booked on 3K.

Not excusing at all this oversight by 3K but I think bringing the whole Qantas Group thing into it is going a bit too far.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nonce
As I said, and I am sorry that you don't understand this, there is no single back end for JQ and QF, especially when it comes to credit card transactions.

In this case davem4 is suggesting to roll back the JQ transaction on the card and in which case QF would be none the wiser. So the OP would get a letter from the bank saying JQ was disputing the information. Not from QF.
if i may rightly assume your post was in response to post 41, maybe you need to reread the entire thread. The op did not say which credit card he/she used. It could very well not be amex.

As someone who had to initiate disputes against unauthorised charges from qantas, i can assure you that unless the phone agent in the first instance agree to do a refund, it is likely you have to write a few letters.

Originally Posted by Brewsterz
You might be interested to know that I was actually told by the Jetstar personnel at Melbourne that Qantas were exactly the people that I had to apply for a refund to,
As you can see from the above quote given by the op, the advise given to the op was to seek a refund from qantas. That puts the ball solely in QF's court.

what you are trying to do is to discredit posts that argue that its QF's fault. From a customer view, it is. QF is the operating carrier. I could be wrong but aren't JQ ticket numbers the same as QF ticket numbers. both may maintain different computer systems but qantas, the group holding and the carrier obviously are responsible for its implementation. And JQ(based on the op's post) did advised the op to seek a refund from qantas.

What I object to is people are willing to take the LCC fare from JQ because they think big brother QF will bail them out if there is an issue.
Qantas has been known to bail out JQ when their airplanes are down. The honolulu fiasco a year or 2 ago is what comes to mind. There may be some internal financial arrangements but thats behind the scenes and both JQ and qantas essentially belong to the same parent. The same as Qantas city flyer and qantas main line.

You cannot make a complaint to DFT without attempting to resolve the issue yourself first. It is the first question the DFT officer will ask. It also cost $$$ to go to DFT.
Assuming you mean department of fair trading, a lodgement done online is free and while DFT does encourage individuals to seek own their own redress, the department will contact qantas if the complaint reaches them. Costs are only incurred if the complainant seeks to go to small claims tribunal and in most cases, merchants normally accede to customer complaints.

I don't quite understand, how is this QF's fault?
While you are clearly posting in view of saying its not QF's fault, perhaps you should consider: 1) Qantas set up jetstar Australia. They control its financial and operating decisions. In this case, QF is the operating carrier and reading between the lines of the op, it is quite possible the issue may be due to ticket numbers being missing.

The right thing to do is to refund the "walk-up" charge incurred by the op and recognised the inconvenience caused to him.

From a business view, the group may decide to refund him only the fee charged by jetstar as its likely to be lower and keep the additional revenue. Unless customers start speaking out for themselves collectively, you are only encouraging businesses to charge you as much as they can.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Question regarding department of fair trading/small claims etc. Is this purchase actually in any Australian jurisdiction? The original purchase for services was made with Jetstar Asia in Thailand, I assume in THB for travel from BKK-PER-BKK (via SIN and MEL). Feel free to shoot me down if I'm wrong and the ticket was made in two separate transactions.

If for example one bought a ticket LHR-SYD-MEL through BA on BA codes all the way through, with the last sector codeshared on QF obviously, and QF refused carriage SYD-MEL, would the claimant be able to pursue through consumer asssitance channels, BA or QF in Australia or would they need to pursue BA in the UK?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Ahh well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The motivation for my posts is not to defend either JQ or QF or even claim the OP is in the wrong but to explain that if you want to continue to kid yourself that operationally JQ and QF are one and the same then you are setting yourself up for more service issues when something goes wrong. You cannot take the expectations and experience from one airline and apply it to another, even if the first airline owns the second, especially when they are operated as stand alone businesses.

You can kick and scream about JQ all you like but it doesn't change the fact that they are here to stay, they will continue to take over routes QF cannot operate effectively as mainline routes and when things go well, they are actually a very good airline. When things don't go well, then you are generally stuffed as you are with any LCC.

I accept that there is nothing I can post on a public forum which will change the point of view of many here who want to have their cake and eat it as well (have a low fare airline but offers full service, or want a full service carrier and would prefer to see that carrier loose money on leisure routes). If you want to continue that point of view you are only setting yourself up for issues when something does go wrong.

So yes, the OP was screwed but not by QF as QF is not responsible for JQ/ 3K ticketing and if QF didn't think they had been paid for the codeshare sector then they are entitled under a commercial agreement to deny boarding. This is something that has to be taken up with the point of sale airline, which is going to be either JQ or 3K (I would look at said credit card statement to see who the billing merchant is). Regardless of what a JQ agent in Melbourne says this from the OP perspective has nothing to do with QF.

You can stuff around with chargebacks, fair trading, and QF until the cows come home but the right people to deal with this are either 3K or JQ depending on who did the ticketing.

So please, continue the pointless QF/ JQ bashing as it changes nothing, especially for JQ who seem to have no issues in turning a small profit in these times. From what I hear DJ is no better and Tiger is worse (speaking of Tiger, based on the thoughts in this thread everyone who has been done over by a Tiger cancellation or time change should be claiming refunds from Singapore Airlines).

Short of sending everyone on work experience at JQ and QF I am not sure what else (I doubt anything) could be done to demonstrate the level of operational seperation between the two companies. I have tried to help, you won't believe me so I will retreat and leave you no better off than you were before. Makes the whole purpose of FT pointless though doesnt it?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Ahh Short of sending everyone on work experience at JQ and QF
Actually if what the OP says about the advice from Jetstar to follow up the complaint with QF is right ... maybe work experience there might not even help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.