Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awful QF/Jetstar Experience!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by nonce
QF and JQ are different airlines. So if JQ (either 3K or JQ) haven't paid QF (or at least QF don't think they have been paid) then are you expecting them to carry you for free? This is no different to an issue I nearly had with a reticket on a QF flight where my CC wasn't processed correctly and the charges never posted. Luckily I needed the change the flight again otherwise I would have been offloaded at < 24 hrs unless payment was made.

Apart from the small "member of the Qantas Group" at the bottom of the JQ website can anyone actually show me where JQ claim to be as tightly part of QF as many of you believe they are? As from first hand experience I am yet to see what many here believe.
I don't think the OP was expecting QF to be carrying them for free - they had paid JQ, they fully expected JQ to have honoured their contract and have paid QF to carry them on behalf of JQ. The OP suspected there were issues with the booking and alerted JQ prior to departure - JQ insisted all was well and that the issue was purely one in their email system. I expect their credit card had been charged at this point, so would not be similar to the cc not being processed (which we've probably all experienced at one stage or another).

If all is as above, I would be going straight to my credit card company and asking them to resolve. It looks like JQ have charged for a service they did not provide. The only fly in the ointment may be that without the e-ticket, how do you prove what you actually booked? I think what we're missing here is JQ's response now. The OP stated that JQ staff at MEL stated that the issue was Qantas' - in that case it sounds like JQ recognise that they had a booking for the OP. Should be a simple case back to the cc company.

The issue then becomes that I suspect the refund for PER-MEL on JQ will be far less than PER-MEL last minute on QF - how do you recover that? Would a standard Travel Insurance policy schedule - even if the OP had cover - list this scenario? I doubt it.

TBH: This is one reason I always use a trusted Travel Agent, even if that does cost me a booking fee. Mine is like a bulldog and will ensure that everything is 100% before travel and when things do go awry (as they inevitably will) they've proven to me that they'll get it sorted to minimise my concerns and disruption.

BD
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:22 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
QFApart from the small "member of the Qantas Group" at the bottom of the JQ website can anyone actually show me where JQ claim to be as tightly part of QF as many of you believe they are? As from first hand experience I am yet to see what many here believe.
Apart from the fact you can purchase QF flights as part of a JQ/3K itinerary from the Jetstar website (eg BKK-SIN-PER-MEL-BKK), in a single transaction. Or JQ/3K flights from the QF website (eg PER-SYD-OOL)in a single transaction.. I am not aware of other airlines that JQ/3K sell (codeshare) connections to, directly from their website or other airlines that sell JQ/3K connections directly from their website.

In the case of the OP I believe it is some sort of ticketing glitch that Jetstar (not QF) should be responsible for. I have experienced similar on a star alliance C class Circle Asia, where Air China denied boarding PEK-ICN as they were unable to see a valid eticket, yet I went across to Asiana and got on a flight leaving two hours later no problems at all. I am sure it would have been resolved eventually had the OP had luxury of time to resolve.

In the case of the later poster if QF sell a through fare PER-SYD-OOL in a single transaction and JQ move the SYD-OOL sector someone (QF or JQ?) should have the responsibility of getting the passenger to OOL at no extra cost to the passenger. If not they shouldn't be selling them in a single transaction.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:12 am

Programs: QFF
I agree 100% lokijuh!
Old Apr 28, 2009, 2:13 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Actually didn't EY just sign an interline deal with JQ? So you could potentially buy a JQ flight from EY (and vice versa). In the case of a codeshare, as was the case with this flight (you are buying a seat on the JQ code which is operated by QF) the agreement is with JQ, not QF. JQ will make you aware that the flight is operated by another carrier (3K, JQ or QF) but you cannot buy a JQ seat on a QF flight and then think you have an agreement with QF, you have the agreement (and the ticket) with JQ. If JQ mess up (or even if QF mess up) you still have to go back to JQ to sort it out.

Later this year, I have a flight with QF which is a codeshare with Air North. If I want to change that flight, do I call QF or Air North? If I turn up for the flight and Air North say that QF havent paid them for my ticket and if I want to make my connecting flight with QF I will need to buy a new one, do I get grumpy with Air North or with QF?

This isn't a Qantas/ QantasLink arrangement where the two companies from a sales and marketing perspective are one and the same, this is an arms length commerical agreement. As a result it is not relevant that QF own JQ because unlike QF/ QF Link JQ is run as a standalone company. If JQ need to charter a plane, do you think QF provide this for free? Likewise ground staff, line maintance etc? So those who think the two companies are one and the same need to break this and realise that this is not the case and if you book with JQ, QF is not going to look after you (and v.v.). This is no different to any other codeshare arrangement that either QF or JQ have with any other airline.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 2:31 am

Actually didn't EY just sign an interline deal with JQ? So you could potentially buy a JQ flight from EY (and vice versa).
Oooppsss!! I think someone else is starting to get QF and JQ confused now!

QF have signed codeshare agreements with EY

... and the cross-charging argument holds little sway within the Qantas Group: Qantas Engineering (for example) will fully charge Qantas Mainline for its services, as does the Training Section IIRC. Alan Joyce is looking to roll-back these separate Business Entities into the one company cost structure (good article in the current Australian Aviation mag).

BD

Last edited by BD1959; Apr 28, 2009 at 2:40 am
Old Apr 28, 2009, 3:50 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Actually didn't EY just sign an interline deal with JQ? So you could potentially buy a JQ flight from EY (and vice versa). In the case of a codeshare, as was the case with this flight (you are buying a seat on the JQ code which is operated by QF) the agreement is with JQ, not QF. JQ will make you aware that the flight is operated by another carrier (3K, JQ or QF) but you cannot buy a JQ seat on a QF flight and then think you have an agreement with QF, you have the agreement (and the ticket) with JQ. If JQ mess up (or even if QF mess up) you still have to go back to JQ to sort it out.

Later this year, I have a flight with QF which is a codeshare with Air North. If I want to change that flight, do I call QF or Air North? If I turn up for the flight and Air North say that QF havent paid them for my ticket and if I want to make my connecting flight with QF I will need to buy a new one, do I get grumpy with Air North or with QF?

This isn't a Qantas/ QantasLink arrangement where the two companies from a sales and marketing perspective are one and the same, this is an arms length commerical agreement. As a result it is not relevant that QF own JQ because unlike QF/ QF Link JQ is run as a standalone company. If JQ need to charter a plane, do you think QF provide this for free? Likewise ground staff, line maintance etc? So those who think the two companies are one and the same need to break this and realise that this is not the case and if you book with JQ, QF is not going to look after you (and v.v.). This is no different to any other codeshare arrangement that either QF or JQ have with any other airline.
I do think ultimately the OP needs to get redress via JQ (or 3K as the case may be). But, as per my last post, the OP had paid someone real money for a seat on that flight, hence was not expecting to be transported potentially for free, as you suggest, but simply to use a service he/she had paid for. And should be peed off it didn't happen like that.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 4:28 am

Programs: my name is SANDRA
Im glad i didnt choose jetstar to travel interstate.. From all i been hearing lately about this airline. Jetstar seems quite tight on its rules and regulation to the terms and conditions.

But jerstar is run by qantas and qantas owns jetstar because qantas built jetstar and they are not separate company airlines. Am i right to that?
Old Apr 28, 2009, 4:50 am

I don't think I am confused at all: http://www.etravelblackboard.co.nz/a...id=64116&nav=2
Jetstar to commence interline agreements with Etihad, Air Tahiti Nui and Air Calin
I am not saying that the OP doesn't have every right to be annoyed etc but not with QF but with JQ/ 3K.

Finally, I have not seen anything yet that indicates that Joyce plans on consolidating the back end of the business units within QF with the back end of JQ. From everything I have heard JQ will continue to be JQ and QF will continue to be QF. The primary reason for this is the legacy of QF would simply be a cost burden to JQ. Since day dot JQ has been free to use its own commercial relationships, that is why for example IBM, Telstra and Amadeus do not manage any IT for Jetstar. As a result JQ can drift in and out of QF Group as best fits on a commercial basis. From everything I have heard this remains unchanged.

QF could cut JQ free tomorrow if needed without having to worry about any messy decoupling.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 6:16 am

I don't think I am confused at all: http://www.etravelblackboard.co.nz/a...id=64116&nav=2
Apologies - I (as stated in my response) read that to mean code-share rather than interlining ticket agreements .... I'll get me coat!

BD
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: QF Gold
I'd charge back the whole amount you paid to Jetstar as they didn't provide the service you purchased.

Let them chase you up for the money, then settle for the amount you owe them minus the 400 odd you are out of pocket.

Credit cards offer great protection to the customer. You need to learn to take advantage of it in cases such as this.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by davem4
I'd charge back the whole amount you paid to Jetstar as they didn't provide the service you purchased.

Let them chase you up for the money, then settle for the amount you owe them minus the 400 odd you are out of pocket.

Credit cards offer great protection to the customer. You need to learn to take advantage of it in cases such as this.
perhaps you may not be aware that qantas/jetstar has fought chargebacks before and refused refunds even if you didnt sign for the transaction and its an online or phone transaction. The fact that the pax wasn't able to utilise the jetstar ticket doesnt matter to the qantas/jetstar group as its on the same physical aircraft. This means the pax if he disputes the transaction will receive a letter from the bank stating that qantas is disputing the dispute and the customer is asked for further information. I do however side with the customer here and hope he/she gets a quick resolution in his favour.

what probably happened is that the booking was present but that the ticket number was missing and like many, im highly surprised that the qantas/jetstar entity can continue to do such things to customers. Its not the first time it has happened.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:52 am

As I said, and I am sorry that you don't understand this, there is no single back end for JQ and QF, especially when it comes to credit card transactions.

In this case davem4 is suggesting to roll back the JQ transaction on the card and in which case QF would be none the wiser. So the OP would get a letter from the bank saying JQ was disputing the information. Not from QF.

Based on the fact that the PAX had done the right thing and JQ failed to deliver part of the service the minimum would be a refund of the JQ fare for the PER-MEL flight which through no fault of the PAX has nothing to do from the PAX perspective with QF. If JQ won't provide this then the OP has every right to go back to AMEX, who I have found to always be excellent with chargebacks/ duplicate transactions/ disputed charges. But this issue has nothing to do with QF, they are just the operating carrier of a JQ codeshare. It is all about 3K/ JQ.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:04 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Apart from the small "member of the Qantas Group" at the bottom of the JQ website can anyone actually show me where JQ claim to be as tightly part of QF as many of you believe they are?
Well it is painted onto the fuselage right under their name - photo.

I can back up nonce tho, I have had dealings with JQ and been in their offices - they are very much separate from an infrastructure and ops point of view.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 5:15 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
Well it is painted onto the fuselage right under their name - photo.

I can back up nonce tho, I have had dealings with JQ and been in their offices - they are very much separate from an infrastructure and ops point of view.
When it suits them. JQ relies on QF's credit rating to get favourable financing terms, favourable aircraft purchase costs (witness the 787 program, and how the initial aircraft will be for JQ and later switching across to QF) and so on and so forth.

Like I said, when it suits them, they are all one big happy family, when it doesn't they distance themselves as far apart as possible.

Dave
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:07 am

Programs: QF
Angry Separate Airlines

If JQ and QF are truly separate airlines someone should go after them for illegal trade practices: it is obvious that "Qantas" determines the where, when and for how much of both QF flights and JQ flights, and the two "airlines" are not separate at that level. They move flights from one to the other as they see fit. Is this legal? Ethical? Fair? I don't think so. If course IMHO, IANAL.

Last edited by malwcal; Apr 29, 2009 at 6:09 am Reason: Spelling (Stupid iPhone)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.