Award redemption on LAN

Old Apr 2, 09, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Award redemption on LAN

Basically, does it exist? I'm trying to get to South America for xmas/ny. Yes, I do realise that it's a peak period. But there is a level of availability on QF, but nothing ever turns up on LAN. Is this normal? Should I just ring QF and ask them to see what the deal is?

Any ideas gratefully recieved!
Old Apr 2, 09, 7:47 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
There is SYD-SCL and SYD-EZE availability on QF but it goes quickly. There was plenty available a few months ago. Sth American LA (ex EZE) is only available via the QF call centre at extra cost.

Try for PE SYD-EZE (QF). Plenty available - every flight (at least with my WP number).

Last edited by og; Apr 2, 09 at 7:54 pm
Old Apr 7, 09, 9:40 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Hadn't thought of LAN for redemption anywhere since QF has distance-based awards, but I recently found out they fly YYZ-JFK. Nice wide-body alternative to AA and the baby jets from YYZ to NYC!
Old Apr 7, 09, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by abcedaria View Post
Basically, does it exist? I'm trying to get to South America for xmas/ny. Yes, I do realise that it's a peak period. But there is a level of availability on QF, but nothing ever turns up on LAN. Is this normal? Should I just ring QF and ask them to see what the deal is?

flying from SYD-SCL, you would have to find availability on QF321 rather than LA800 since awards for this route must be booked on the codeshare

Dave
Old Apr 8, 09, 12:12 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by abcedaria View Post

Just playing around with my BA miles, I can get business class reward seats in December SYD-EZE-SCL on QF/LA and SYD-JFK-SCL on QF/LA but the direct flight SYD-SCL on LA doesn't show availability.
Old Apr 8, 09, 2:01 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by James S View Post
... but the direct flight SYD-SCL on LA doesn't show availability.
try AKL-SCL
Old Apr 8, 09, 4:55 pm

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by og View Post
try AKL-SCL
Good point!

In which it offers me AKL-LAX-LIM-SCL on QF-LA-LA.

So redemptions are possible on LAN, but that AKL-SCL direct flight has rare availability or is snapped up quickly.
Old Apr 16, 09, 7:38 am

Programs: Qantas FF/Singapore Kris
Have used points to travel CBR-AKL-SGL-GIG on LAN before but seats are limited because of Qantas's code share deal with LAN and the smaller aircraft operating the route.

Qantas new flights to BA might be a better option with connections to LAN there.

Have also just returned from South America - used QFF points to travel from Punta Arenas to Mount Pleasant in the Falklands on LAN. Only 20,000 points return which was a bargain compared to the cost of flight on LAN's website which was over 400 pounds! I had to use the Qantas telephone enquiry line to book as South American redemptions to other South American destinations can't be done online.

Also flew from SGL to Mendoza (Argentina) on QFF points.

Couldn't crack any flights with LANArgentina using points though.
Old Apr 16, 09, 3:59 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sanjose View Post
Have also just returned from South America - used QFF points to travel from Punta Arenas to Mount Pleasant in the Falklands on LAN. Only 20,000 points return which was a bargain compared to the cost of flight on LAN's website which was over 400 pounds! I had to use the Qantas telephone enquiry line to book as South American redemptions to other South American destinations can't be done online.
Isn't that a brilliant flight (to MPN)! I did it on QF points when the rules were based on continents rather than the current system. It took a lot of arguing with the QF phone agents trying to explain that SCL-MPN was within South America rather than a Sth America - UK flight (the operator assumed that MPN was part of Europe - specifically Britain due to ownership).
Old Apr 17, 09, 5:22 am

Programs: Qantas FF/Singapore Kris
Yes it sure is OG.

Another great one is Punta Arenas to Puerto Montt during the day as you fly alongside the Andes all the way.
Old Apr 17, 09, 6:10 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another great one is Punta Arenas to Puerto Montt during the day as you fly alongside the Andes all the way.
The NAVIMAG ferry is also a good way to go - Puerto Natales to Puerto Montt - 3 days on a working ferry through the inside passage islands.
Old Apr 18, 09, 1:54 am

Programs: DJ Silver, BA Silver, PC Gold, QF, SQ
Agreed, I remember seeing a glacier on that flight... I decided to always keep my camera accessible after that one.
Old Apr 18, 09, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by og View Post
The NAVIMAG ferry is also a good way to go - Puerto Natales to Puerto Montt - 3 days on a working ferry through the inside passage islands.

I remember doing that 20 years ago Puerto Montt to Puerto Natales when backpacking through SA. The cheapest ticket was Class Pionero which entitled you to an economy class airline type seat amidst a hundred or so others inside a structure made up of welded together shipping containers on the ships deck.

2 toilets which were not cleaned for the duration of the trip (2+1/2 days if I remeber correctly) which meant that after the first episode of choppy seas the bathrooms were awash with vomit.

For the entire duration of the voyage two TV monitors played the most dreadful selection of E-grade movies (think of something three pegs in quality below Hostel 2 if that is possible).

3 meals a day were included but very few Pioneros were in a fit state to avail themselves of the delicacies provided - and the word delicay just reminded me that when passing one of the small communities down the Chilean coast the fisherman came out to the ship and provided some of their catch. That night we feasted on Centolla - King Crab.

Trying hard to avoid the smells, sounds and movie program, I spent the majority of the trip on deck (quite chilly by mid-April) and that $70 trip was probably more enjoyable - certainly more memorable - than any 1st class flight I've done.

Sorry OT rambling but the mention of Navimag brought the memories flooding back!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: