Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Melbourne International Transit

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2009, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Melbourne International Transit

I am arriving MEL from LAX and connecting 2 hours later to WLG. I assume I do not have to clear Immigration and Customs but is there a security check between international arrival and departure? I'm particularly thinking about duty free liquids which might not be allowed MEL-WLG.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by jrussell
I am arriving MEL from LAX and connecting 2 hours later to WLG. I assume I do not have to clear Immigration and Customs but is there a security check between international arrival and departure? I'm particularly thinking about duty free liquids which might not be allowed MEL-WLG.
I'd recommend just pre-ordering your duty free in NZ. It's *much* cheaper and also a lot easier.

Check out:
http://www.regency.co.nz
and there's also another company that delivers to the airport for you, but i'd just use regency. The NZD is even worse than the AUD, so it makes it a lot cheaper for you.

Saves you carting the booze all the way too (I always buy my DF Booze on arrivals into NZ rather than leaving AU)
Old Mar 13, 2009, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
You will need to clear transit security at MEL and the liquids rules will apply.

So you will not be able to carry those litres bottles ex LAX. However you can buy D/F in MEL, once past transit security.

Personally, I'd take drewbles' advice and buy in NZ - it's generally much cheaper.

Also, www.dutyfreestores.co.nz offers a 20% discount on pre-orders for "members" (allow 3 working days) and can often be less expensive that regency.

Last edited by serfty; Mar 13, 2009 at 4:31 pm
Old Mar 13, 2009, 5:41 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Agree that NZ is generally cheaper than AU for liquor, however checking Bombay Sapphire it is:
AUD 30 in MEL for 1L
NZD 39 in AKL for 1L

QF onboard dutyfree is AUD 25 for 0.7L as a point of comparison (which is what I chose to buy).
Old Mar 13, 2009, 5:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Last time I transitted in MEL the temporary int->int transfer corridor had a locked door and needed to find someone to unlock it! I'd check with QF ground crew on arrival that they know you are transferring to another international flight and that transfers are open.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 5:59 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Last time I transitted in MEL the temporary int->int transfer corridor had a locked door and needed to find someone to unlock it! I'd check with QF ground crew on arrival that they know you are transferring to another international flight and that transfers are open.
A couple of days ago it was open at 10 am (manned by 2 staff, so I can see the incentive to not always have it open -- imagine not many such transits at MEL).
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
Agree that NZ is generally cheaper than AU for liquor, however checking Bombay Sapphire it is:
AUD 30 in MEL for 1L
NZD 39 in AKL for 1L

QF onboard dutyfree is AUD 25 for 0.7L as a point of comparison (which is what I chose to buy).
Look at Cointreau. I often pick it up in NZ for around $25-30 NZD. When I went out SYD the other day, it was $45 AUD.

I make sure i pickup the expensive stuff at the best price
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
AUD 30 in MEL for 1L
NZD 39 in AKL for 1L

Using my "Frequent Buyer Club" membership, I can pre-order Bombay Sapphire 1000ml for $25.52 NZD. (Std Price NZD31.90)
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:56 pm
tt7

.. however checking Bombay Sapphire ...
Glad to see you have an excellent taste in gin. Now if you could arrange for AA to get rid of that awful Tanqueray and bring back the Bombay Sapphire, that would be excellent....
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by tt7
Glad to see you have an excellent taste in gin. Now if you could arrange for AA to get rid of that awful Tanqueray and bring back the Bombay Sapphire, that would be excellent....
Blasphemy!

As a fan of *both* Tanqueray and Sapphire, I've got to say it really depends what mood i'm in as to which I prefer.

If you're after super-premium, you can't go past Tanqueray No. 10, but i'm yet to see that anywhere near NZ Duty free (It's around $65AUD from the AU Airport stores). That's a Martini Gin though.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:08 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by drewbles
Blasphemy!

As a fan of *both* Tanqueray and Sapphire, I've got to say it really depends what mood i'm in as to which I prefer.

If you're after super-premium, you can't go past Tanqueray No. 10, but i'm yet to see that anywhere near NZ Duty free (It's around $65AUD from the AU Airport stores). That's a Martini Gin though.
Exactly. I do prefer the No. 10 but Sapphire is quite good, too. Never did like Gordon's (though many in the UK consider that to be the finest gin, and 007 drinks it even if number_6 does not). QF serves Gordon's. I was pleased to see QF offering Sapphire for duty free sale, at a reasonable price (much cheaper than LAX duty free, for example).
Old Mar 14, 2009, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm. This thread has gone off topic to one the favourite subjects for the Au branch of FT : booze
Old Mar 14, 2009, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Hmm. This thread has gone off topic to one the favourite subjects for the Au branch of FT : booze
It's still discussing 'liquids' just not in relation to transit. It's half on topic
Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:19 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
FT tradition is Scotch, beer and champagne (in that sequence) are on-topic at all times; gin is a new addition. Wine is on-topic as long as it includes moaning about F not having x available.

And I kept it even more on-topic by including the QF duty free sale reference. Kudos to QF for stocking some fine products in onboard duty free (though sales seemed poor on my flight).
Old Mar 15, 2009, 9:18 am

FT tradition is Scotch, beer and champagne (in that sequence) are on-topic at all times; gin is a new addition. Wine is on-topic as long as it includes moaning about F not having x available.

And I kept it even more on-topic by including the QF duty free sale reference. Kudos to QF for stocking some fine products in onboard duty free (though sales seemed poor on my flight).
I think Vodka/Gin need to be added. So many fine vodka's and gins available!

*sips his morning bloody mary at the QP in T4 LAX*

Yup. Vodka needs to be included in the tradition for sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.