Wiki Posts
Search

J Award Seats to Tokyo (NRT)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2009, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
J Award Seats to Tokyo (NRT)

So I have a pretty good idea about how/when QF releases award seats for LAX flights, but never taken much notice of NRT flights until now.

Any tips/times on when QF releases more seats in J for say SYD-NRT flights.

For the whole month of February 2010 there are only 2 days with J availability and that is via PER
Old Mar 8, 2009, 7:09 pm

I've been watching J to NRT this year and it's been very thin on the ground with qantas now that jetstar has been picking up a lot of the japan business. Only thing I might suggest is to give qantas a call as I believe the only JAL availability shown is codeshares so you might get lucky there otherwise there's CX via HKG.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 7:47 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Agreed - even exactly 12 mths out appears on many days there are no seats offered up.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 1:45 am
Original Poster

IMOA: Thanks I have been watching MEL-LAX every day for the past 6 months so I know what happens on that route with award seats now.

Hmmmm I might scrap the idea of MEL-NRT then, but if a 2for1 sale comes up I will purchase J seats!

Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:59 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
AndDee - Are you able to share with us your conclusions on MEL-LAX
Old Mar 9, 2009, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Yep

For MEL-LAX-MEL

Small selection of seats in Y and J, usually about 4 in each class are released at 330 days out, but usually not for Thur/Fri/Sat flights for MEL-LAX.

A few days later so at about 320-325 days out a few Y seats appear on Thur/Fri/Sat flights

About the same time more J seats seem to be added both ways

Getting F seats MEL-LAX - Impossible

Getting F seats LAX-MEL - Easy, but not on the Mon or Wed flights which are A380

After recently flying the A380 in J and a 744 if F, I would rather be in J on the A380. Yes the food/drinks/service was better but I prefer the J seat on the A380 than the 744 F seats. Even a 2002 744 feel old when compared to the A380

With another 4 A380's coming this year for QF, the first one going to the SYD-LHR & SYD-LAX route, I am hoping one or two more go on the MEL-LAX route ^

After flying both QF cannot really get the A380's quick enough in my opinion, the only downside was the NZ based crew on the A380, no-where near as good as a normal QF crew, but of course that may have just been a bad day for a few of the staff members....
Old Mar 9, 2009, 4:29 am

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, JAL JGC Sapphire
After flying both QF cannot really get the A380's quick enough in my opinion, the only downside was the NZ based crew on the A380, no-where near as good as a normal QF crew, but of course that may have just been a bad day for a few of the staff members....
Just FYI all A380 Crew are Australia based. No NZ Crew on A380s.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kevinyhli
Just FYI all A380 Crew are Australia based. No NZ Crew on A380s.
That's what I thought, but I am sure I read on here that A380 crew had something to do with NZ....
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
One poster here is a FA and did work for Jetconnect, last year I believe he took the option to transfer to the group flying the A388. He is based in SYD. There are probably a few others who have done the same.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:21 pm

Location: Home of the 2001 & 2004 Rugby Super 12 Champions - the Brumbies (Canberra, ACT) and Australia's best ski resort (Thredbo, NSW)
Programs: QF SG (LT PS, 54% LT SG), Priority Club Gold
Going skiing AndDee? Which resort are you planning to go to? I was at Hakuba in January and I've skied at Niseko (Kuta-on-the-Snow) as well. I've heard Nozawa Onsen is nice for the cultural experience and Myoko Kogen is good for powder if you time it right. I'm sure you've been reading the relevant threads on Sno-Info.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by AndDee
Yep

For MEL-LAX-MEL

Small selection of seats in Y and J, usually about 4 in each class are released at 330 days out, but usually not for Thur/Fri/Sat flights for MEL-LAX.

A few days later so at about 320-325 days out a few Y seats appear on Thur/Fri/Sat flights

About the same time more J seats seem to be added both ways

Getting F seats MEL-LAX - Impossible

Getting F seats LAX-MEL - Easy, but not on the Mon or Wed flights which are A380

After recently flying the A380 in J and a 744 if F, I would rather be in J on the A380. Yes the food/drinks/service was better but I prefer the J seat on the A380 than the 744 F seats. Even a 2002 744 feel old when compared to the A380

With another 4 A380's coming this year for QF, the first one going to the SYD-LHR & SYD-LAX route, I am hoping one or two more go on the MEL-LAX route ^

You might be thinking of the QCCA staff
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Craigo
Going skiing AndDee? Which resort are you planning to go to? I was at Hakuba in January and I've skied at Niseko (Kuta-on-the-Snow) as well. I've heard Nozawa Onsen is nice for the cultural experience and Myoko Kogen is good for powder if you time it right. I'm sure you've been reading the relevant threads on Sno-Info.
Only in early stages of planning as yet And yes
Old Mar 19, 2009, 5:05 am

Programs: QF LTS, AA 2MM, CO
Spent the last week in December in Hakuba and Tokyo. Good skiing and excellent powder - would definitely do it again!

GF & I flew up on JAL in J. Gave up on trying to secure award seats on QF and managed to get our flights straight away flying JAL from SYD.

Plan well and enjoy!
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Interesting to note that there are no Y seats on MEL-LAX have been released after the 31st of January...

LAX-MEL for February showing lots of Y+ but limited Y, J/F showing normal availability at this stage.

I wonder what is up for MEL-LAX in Feb/March with Y award seats....
Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; QF PS; SPG PLT
Originally Posted by AndDee
Interesting to note that there are no Y seats on MEL-LAX have been released after the 31st of January...

LAX-MEL for February showing lots of Y+ but limited Y, J/F showing normal availability at this stage.

I wonder what is up for MEL-LAX in Feb/March with Y award seats....
The last 2 weeks I've been looking at SYD/MEL-JFK in F/J during April. There was quite a sudden change in availability at the end of last weekend for all classes (i.e. Y too, haven't been looking at Y+). The past week I've been checking frequently to see if seats get rereleased, but without any luck. Tonight I had a closer look at some flights that weren't on the dates we were looking at.

The surprise was that J SYD-JFK is being routed via LHR! And not on QF, but BA to LHR and AA LHR-JFK. I selected a number of random dates during April and saw that consistently, outbound premium awards from Sydney and Melbourne are routed via London (sometimes on QF). Frequently the inbound flight is on QF on a more direct route, but saw many examples of routings via LHR in that direction too.

Is this normal??

I didn't select any flights last weekend to see what the award routing was, so don't know if it's always like this MEL/SYD-JFK.

Looking at general availability trans pacific during April, in all classes, availability seems very favourable. Fascinating yield strategy to put award passengers on two other airlines and send them an extra 3,600 miles...

Interestingly, this matches with what American Airlines see with regard to Qantas. There's simply no award seats being made available from Qantas transpacific ex Australia.

Anyway, as I said, interested to hear if this is normal (the LHR routing thing).

Does a last minute window open up with F/J awards, or do you really have to get in close to a year in advance on SYD/MEL-LAX/JFK.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.