Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Water & ice cream. Is that "full service"

Old Feb 15, 2009, 3:16 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P

Flew QF SYD-ABX-SYD on the weekend. Both flights offered water and an ice cream (rock hard, but looked like chocolate - I just think they forgot to add the flavour). I asked if they did a tea/coffee run and was told "no - not unless you specifically ask for it".

Mrs og flew on ZL (long story about being on different flights - enough to say that Mrs og likes ZL and I was using a BA comp voucher...). ZL had tea/coffee and a choice of muesli bar or biscuits.

Maybe its just me, but it seems QF regional has slipped and ZL is now the better choice. Strange really - since there is a 3 way choice on that route. Of course, that is only relating to catering. I would have more confidence of QF looking after you in irrops than ZL (which does nothing).
Old Feb 15, 2009, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
I'm based in the UK, but all trips back to Oz include the obligatory family runs from SYD to both ABX and WGA. I was in Oz in December '08 and tea and coffee were served on all sectors (I flew four in total), so withdrawing this service must be a very recent development.

As for comparing QF Link to ZL – I realise there may be absolutely no logical or sensible rationale for this statement – but I'd happily go without tea and coffee and be seated on a new(ish) and four abreast Dash-8 rather than a 20 year old three abreast Saab.

Just my 2p worth.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 4:47 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inasmuchas
I'm based in the UK, but all trips back to Oz include the obligatory family runs from SYD to both ABX and WGA. I was in Oz in December '08 and tea and coffee were served on all sectors (I flew four in total), so withdrawing this service must be a very recent development.

As for comparing QF Link to ZL – I realise there may be absolutely no logical or sensible rationale for this statement – but I'd happily go without tea and coffee and be seated on a new(ish) and four abreast Dash-8 rather than a 20 year old three abreast Saab.
The only attraction now with QF is the Crash8-400 and more chance of being looked after if the last flight of the day is cancelled. Actually, the single seat on the SAAB is quite pleasant (so long as you have the ear plugs).
Old Feb 15, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
And I'd happily fly on virgin with their new E Jet and have a choice of whatever I wanted to eat/drink... ie wine, beer, sandwiches etc
Old Feb 15, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
I would go DJ as well providing the flights went at the right time. I think QF stopped afternoon tea/ coffee service about 24mths ago on all flights, not just QFLink. After 4pm you now get a free drink instead (cityflyer and QFlink).
Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:30 am

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
I was also slightly disappointed with the water and ice cream service on my BNE-ROK flight recently (but I guess I shouldn't complain about the ice cream as it was a pretty hot day and the plane's a/c system was not too effective). As og mentioned, coffee/tea is available on request only.

On the way back, we were served the 'standard' QantasLink refeshment box which contained pate, crackers, nut mix, chocolate and water, plus complimentary bar service and savoury mix.

Overall, it is not that different from a QF mainline refreshment flight (sometimes minus the drink/bar service).
Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Re the tea/coffee - they still serve t/c - you just have to request it - how is that a lack of full service. Those pax that want t/c get it.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:50 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simongr
Re the tea/coffee - they still serve t/c - you just have to request it - how is that a lack of full service. Those pax that want t/c get it.
Thing is that it is not even offered until requested. I am sure the bar cart has the full range of soft drinks and juices too - but it too is not offered. I assumed the bar cart had the soft drinks because I could hear the crew opening cans for their drinks after serving the ice cream and water to the SLF. To me, "full service" is offering the range of goodies - rather than just delivering the basics without even a hint of more.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 3:20 am

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
Originally Posted by og
Thing is that it is not even offered until requested. I am sure the bar cart has the full range of soft drinks and juices too - but it too is not offered. I assumed the bar cart had the soft drinks because I could hear the crew opening cans for their drinks after serving the ice cream and water to the SLF. To me, "full service" is offering the range of goodies - rather than just delivering the basics without even a hint of more.
I think the bar cart might be catered and loaded for the return flight (if it departs after 4pm) as most QFLink prop flights are double-catered at the major ports (SYD, MEL and BNE).

Having said that, however, it is somewhat disappointed to see tea and coffee are only available on request on afternoon services.

Last time I travelled on SYD-ABX, I was offered muffin and water along with tea and coffee on my late morning outbound flight, so I guess tea and coffee are still served to all pax on all morning flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.