Wiki Posts
Search

Credit card fee increase

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Only if the only reason for having a debt card is for paying for airline tickets. bpay payment is pretty straightforward and nice n free

Dave
Bpay is not available to non Australians
Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Bpay is not available to non Australians
You do not need to be Australian to be able to open a bank account in Australia, so it is possible if really wanting to.

Dave
Old Feb 15, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Not so easy without an Australian address though!
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:50 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
You do not need to be Australian to be able to open a bank account in Australia, so it is possible if really wanting to.
Doesn't anyone opening a financial account in Australia need to satisfy the 100point ID check? Can't be easy from OS.

BD
Old Feb 15, 2009, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by BD1959
Doesn't anyone opening a financial account in Australia need to satisfy the 100point ID check? Can't be easy from OS.
a passport fulfils the 100 point check

It is harder to open from overseas, but v easy if visiting Australia. You don't need to be Australian to open an account in Australia.

Dave
Old Feb 15, 2009, 3:47 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Not by itself, it doesn't. The most I've seen is 70 points for a valid passport. Typically, a passport counts as a primary document, which is worth 70 points, then you need a second and different document to get you the other 30.

Maybe some private banks may let you do it, but I haven't seen a bank that will let you open an account without an Australian address.

I haven't tried, but I doubt banks will open an account for you if you give them your hotel address either.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 3:57 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold

It is harder to open from overseas, but v easy if visiting Australia. You don't need to be Australian to open an account in Australia.
A passport only counts as 70points. A foreign drivers license counts for only 25points. You'd have to use an existing credit card or utility bill to make up the rest given that most other options:
  • License issued under Australian Law
  • Government Authority or Public Service Employee Card
  • Social Security, Health Care or Pension Card
  • Tertiary Education Institution ID card
  • Medicare Card

are only available to Australians.

...then there's the problem of presenting the original documentation so that whoever is auditing the 100point check application can take copies.

Yep, all this has to be done in person - when visiting Australia - which defeats the object of the exercise of having BPAY in place to purchase the ticket to get to Oz in the first place!

BD
Old Feb 15, 2009, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by BD1959
A passport only counts as 70points. A foreign drivers license counts for only 25points. You'd have to use an existing credit card or utility bill to make up the rest given that most other options:

BD
A Passport counts for 100 points when used within 6 weeks of arriving in Australia so meets the entire requirements outright

Also, if unable to attend the bank personally , you can use a certified identity form

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Feb 15, 2009 at 4:05 pm
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:43 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
A Passport counts for 100 points when used within 6 weeks of arriving in Australia so meets the entire requirements outright
Not in my experience.

However, for Kiwis, it's relatively easy to open an Australian bank account if your NZ bank is owned by an Australian bank. ASB will happily open a CBA account for you without much fuss.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:28 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
ajnz that doesn't match my experience (with a different Australian bank).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.