Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

What is and how to use a Multiple Purpose Document (MPD)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.

Hi,

I have heard of a few of these floating around as a result of QF's less than excellent OTP for flights last year and have collected a couple myself. I finally got around to working out how to use them and what they really are. So I thought I would share FAQ style.

1. What is a MPD?
A MPD is essentially a gift voucher from Qantas. It arrives looking like an old school paper ticket usually with a letter from QF saying sorry for some sort of mess up on their behalf. Under name of Passenger on the MPD it will say "Gift Voucher". A MPD is essentially cash or as the name says a gift voucher which can be used to book travel in anyone's name within the specified valid period (typically 1 year from issue). The voucher is typically valid for Qantas and OneWorld Travel including surcharges and taxes but not for Jetstar.

2. How do I use one?
You can use the MPD to pay for QF travel book over the phone on 13 12 11 or in person at a Qantas Travel Centre. You will then need to exchange the voucher for your tickets either by sending them to your closest travel centre or taking them there in person. You then pay for any difference using a credit card.

3. Can I use the MPD to book sale fares which have to be ticketed the same time as booking?
Yes.

4. Can I use more than one MPD for a single booking?
Yes.

5. Can I use the MPD for a booking with more than one passenger?
Yes.

6. Can I use the MPD to change or upgrade an existing booking?
Yes. However you need to call Qantas on 13 12 11 to do so.

7. Can I book online and then use the MPD to pay for all or part of the booking?
No.

8. Will QF then charge me a booking fee for booking or changing my flight on the phone?
Probably.

9. Are there any time frames for booking and then flying using a MPD?
Yes. You must allow enough time to exchange the MPD for your ticket and for ticketing to take place.

10. Wouldn't it have been easier if QF could have just used e-Vouchers instead that let you book and ticket online?
Yes.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:11 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by nonce
10. Wouldn't it have been easier if QF could have just used e-Vouchers instead that let you book and ticket online?
Yes.
My BA "sorry we stuffed up" e-voucher didn't cover fines, taxes and surcharges - (good to see the QF MPV does). BUT, it typically took BA up to 24 hrs for their ICC to contact another BA call centre / back office to validate the voucher. THEN ticketting had to happen - so they needed 48 hrs pre flight as a minimum for it to be useful.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Don't forget the higher fares through contact centre than are available online (this on top of service fee).

At least QF's MCO allow a new one to be issued for balance if travel purchased is less than value of MCO (unless it has changed recently). With BA's MCO you lose any unused value.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:10 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
With BA's MCO you lose any unused value.
I used my BA voucher for SYD-ABX-SYD. I could only get S class from BA (for the QF flight) whereas the QF web had red-e deals. At the end of the day, I came out roughly even with the higher fare minus the e-voucher credit - but I did get the points and SCs (and the water and crappy ice cream). Verdict - not worth the trouble.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:11 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The latest one I have is so small I'll likely end up paying more $ if I try to use it
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:28 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Don't forget the higher fares through contact centre than are available online (this on top of service fee).
Not IME. When I used a MPD at the QF sales centre on Collins St in Melbourne, I was able to buy an N class fare at exactly the same price I found on the net, without any additional service fees. This was 2 years ago, so it may have changed since then.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:26 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
The MPD's I have received as service recovery vouchers have SPECIFICALLY stated that telephone booking fees do not apply, and when I have used them, when telephone booking fees have been applied, after arguing the point, I got them removed.

Dave
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Anyone have any experience in using these from outside Australia / NZ? I am based in the UK and have a couple of them which are going to run out shortly. In the past I've been able to book using the QF London office but with this now being closed I'm at a bit of a loss.

I did call QF (twice) but they had no idea how to go about using them...
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, QF Silver, AA Platinum
nonce - thanks for posting this.

I've had one of these hanging around for a number of months and given I can't redeem it online (where I do 99.9% of my airline reservations) it's been gathering dust. Time to hunt out one of these fabled 'Qantas Travel Centres'!

Interestingly it arrived unsolicited, apparantly as a result of the IFE failing on a flight back from Hong Kong... which was strange as it was working just fine whilst I was using it!

Oh well, not going to turn down $300. It just made me wonder if they'd automatically sent these to everyone on the plane, which given it was a F0 J0 Y0 flight must have cost them a small fortune.

: )
Old Feb 19, 2009, 1:43 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gavin_phillips
Oh well, not going to turn down $300. It just made me wonder if they'd automatically sent these to everyone on the plane, which given it was a F0 J0 Y0 flight must have cost them a small fortune.
But not everyone will redeem it. Indeed, it may be the catalyst for a huge expenditure on QF just to get the $300 "value". So, its venture capital.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 1:55 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by gavin_phillips
Time to hunt out one of these fabled 'Qantas Travel Centres'!
I've used the one here in Canberra to book my RTW trips for the past 3 years. I've seen one in Melbourne. No idea about Sydney.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 2:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
I always make the phone booking and them post in the MPD's - the printout of the flight, and a new MPD for the residual value, usually comes back a few days later.

Dave
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:19 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Never got one from QF in my life. But still have a few undated UA MPD around. Validity is the short of the paper disintegrating or the airline going bust....
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by wiluk
Anyone have any experience in using these from outside Australia / NZ? I am based in the UK and have a couple of them which are going to run out shortly. In the past I've been able to book using the QF London office but with this now being closed I'm at a bit of a loss.

I did call QF (twice) but they had no idea how to go about using them...
How about calling the Qantas Australia or UK number (you can reach the Australian number from the UK on Skype if you prefer)? You'll need to post the voucher in. I used one of those MPDs when I was overseas, so I called 131211 and had them do the booking, and posted the voucher to them.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:03 am

My experience is that of going into the Qantas office in the Perth CBD (next to Central Park) and I was able to book O class fares without issue or a booking fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.