Where Did My Skybed Go?

Old Jan 25, 09, 8:48 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RickyT View Post
It appears QF sometimes get into habit of swapping different types of B763 on domestic routes. I recall one time, my flight was swapped from a ZX* series Millenneium a/c -> OG* series Millenium a/c -> Dreamtime a/c. So the short answer to that is, it would be pretty hard to find out excat which a/c would operate one's flight.
I've had this happen when checking OLCI for a better seat assignment, and each time I look there is a different config of the plane.
Old Jan 25, 09, 10:12 pm

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
Originally Posted by perthite
I've had this happen when checking OLCI for a better seat assignment, and each time I look there is a different config of the plane.
What happened to me on said flight was I checked in and scored a bulkhead seat 23A. However, when the flight was swtiched to a Dreamtime B763, my orginial seat assignment is gone (Dreamtime B763 does not have seat 23A) and I was instead allocated an emergency exit row window seat. So it worked out well at the end.

Originally Posted by bugayev View Post
Is there a bulk way to see the assigned aircraft type for a given day, excepting amadeus or other booking systems?

I'm due to fly MEL - SYD on the 2nd and then SYD - MEL on the 4th, and would love to get myself a taste of skybed if i can
Alas, I guess one would need to have access to QF's internal systems to find out the assigned aircraft type for your flight.

As for your second question, the chance to sample Skybeds on short hops such as SYD-MEL has greatly diminished since QF has discontinued most domestic legs of international flights (e.g. QF 136 which operated NRT-SYD-MEL or QF73/74 to/from SFO via SYD) . Having said that, the best way to find out is to check QF's online timetable. Have fun searching
Old Jan 26, 09, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Having just returned from a brilliant long weekend in Melbourne, I am happy to report that the only seat not present on my two flights was the Millennium variety.

QF459 (SYD-MEL) was operated by a Dreamtime B763 in the 1-2-2 configuration, allowing for a comfortable ninety-minute ride. The cabin crew on this leg were excellent, setting the tone for a great weekend and some great tennis at the Australian Open.

QF452 (MEL-SYD) was operated by an A333, which meant one thing: Skybed! Another excellent flight and my first Qantas lie-flat experience - the cabin crew were more than happy to help me capture the moment with a few happy snaps. All good things come to an end so just after an hour we were descending into Sydney, what a way to end the trip!

While at the Business Lounge in Melbourne, I noticed they now have Beez Neez on tap (well, it's a separate dispenser). Nice to see a variety of beers on offer, especially since it happens to be my preferred.

Thanks for all the help and research, special mention to serfty for his insider information.