Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas in advanced merger talks with BA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: QC/Qff Gold Starwood SS/venetian HHon's Accorgold AmexPlat

It was mentioned to me tonight that the front page of tomorows Fin Rev will report on QF in pretty advanced merger negotiations with BA.

In my opinion BA was always the most logical choice for the Red Roo nuptuals.
They have both been having an affair for many years, so it's only right they do the Charles & Camilla thingy.

Now looking at this senario (if it comes to pass) this will open for QF some new and very interesting propositions for the future.

It makes me think that maybe AA would be the next light at the end of the tunnel forming a very formidable triangle (Europe, North America & Australasia/South Pacific).

Or maybe i'm just dreaming.

It's just that QF have kept repeating a lot recently about airline consolidation.
Although on the down side, BA needs a fair bit love and care at the moment, the past couple of years have not been kind to her.

QF is lucky to be in the position it is at the moment l recon.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:06 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I wonder if Alan Joyce feels ripped off that he didn't really get to be the CEO of Qantas for very long.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:39 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Reuters coverage here
Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
I like this paragraph from a Bloomberg report:

The two airlines are discussing a combination after the
Australian government eased restrictions on the ownership of
Sydney-based Qantas, the Australian Financial Review reported
earlier. The two companies would retain their individual brands
and national identities, the newspaper said, citing nobody.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by James S

Does this really make sense for Qantas? Wouldn't they get better economies of scale by merging with or buying an Asian carrier? I mean BA operate in one of the most competitive markets for aviation in the world, whereas QF have a fairly easy ride out in Oz.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
Does this really make sense for Qantas? Wouldn't they get better economies of scale by merging with or buying an Asian carrier? I mean BA operate in one of the most competitive markets for aviation in the world, whereas QF have a fairly easy ride out in Oz.
If the directors want to waste money playing at the QF-BA connection - so be it. I can't see the synergies, but they obviously exist.

At least we know the result can't be anywhere near as bad as that aborted private sector takeover which would have left Qantas near bankruptcy today...
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:47 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
CNN article here: http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/02/news...ion=2008120209

WSJ article here (subscription may be required): http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122822660309172305.html
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
At least we know the result can't be anywhere near as bad as that aborted private sector takeover which would have left Qantas near bankruptcy today...
Not near....it would be a sunken ship and the "Future Fund" would be bailing it out.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal

Indeed. For all of Geoff’s achievements at Qantas you really must wonder what the h*ll he was thinking here. Absolute madness.

Makes you wonder if a lot of his achievements were “right place right time” or the fruits of good management/leadership on his behalf.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by James S

Does this constitute "advanced talks"? Maybe. Talks must be evolved enough to where they feel a public announcement is necessary. Also, on they seem to have worked through a number of important details: they have decided that the combined company would maintain a dual listing and that the carriers would retain their individual brands and national identities.

What's missing is the when and how the combined FF program would be rolled out.

This could also be a pre-emptive move by BA, given that the Australian government has eased ownership restrictions, not wanting to see QF merge with a competing carrier.

I say: ^^^.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.1)

According to wire reports it was QF that made the first move and talks started in August.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:45 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by ian001
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.1)

Citing expected financial catastrophe as motive?

According to wire reports it was QF that made the first move and talks started in August.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:07 pm

Well, we called it first....

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...040&highlight=

It makes so much sense, the rationalization of services, crew, resource would be a huge cost plus to a BA-QA merger.

This would be the on set to a open skies in AU where the like of SQ will have the US route out of AU.
By which point the cost base of the new BA/QA would be competitive.

Smart move.!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:09 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
It's great day for the Irish..both QF & BA CEO's being Dubliners! Irish conspiracy?

CJ
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:23 pm

On ABC2 News Breakfast this morning, they did say British Airways is also seeking "synergies" with Iberia, Finnair, American Airlines and Royal Jordanian. They also mentioned Qantas had considered Malaysian Airlines while Singapore Airlines "has always been in the wings". Could we see the remote possibility, of a large oneworld entity?

Got to laugh at the Sunrise newspoll though....

"Should the brits buy Qantas? If Yes vote xxxx, If you are patriotic and want to save out flying kangaroo etc vote No xxxx"....as expected Yes 9%, No 91%....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.