Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Is Advance Seating So Difficult?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:55 pm

Programs: SQ TPP
Politics has a lot to do with the lack of airline choice across the Pacific to/from Australia. Qantas has fought long and hard to keep the revenue from this premium route. They currently make more money from Australia to/from US than most of their other international operations put together. When UA is their only direct competition, they can really do what they like re fares and service. Hence their wish to look after their most valuable high revenue customers.
The only other viable options, at least until V Australia starts services next year, are NZ via AKL or even AC via YVR.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity, *Alliance
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
That's an island hopper flight though isn't? I'd rather take the non stop rather than make five or six stops before getting to HNL, and then the associated connecting flight ex-HNL.
No. Just the one quick stop in Guam
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:00 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by MEL-World
Politics has a lot to do with the lack of airline choice across the Pacific to/from Australia. Qantas has fought long and hard to keep the revenue from this premium route. They currently make more money from Australia to/from US than most of their other international operations put together. When UA is their only direct competition, they can really do what they like re fares and service. Hence their wish to look after their most valuable high revenue customers.
The only other viable options, at least until V Australia starts services next year, are NZ via AKL or even AC via YVR.
I'm not sure I agree with the conclusion drawn here.

As has been discussed previously, (lots) there have been various "players" on the Trans-Pac through the years, most have withdrawn because they have not found it to be profitable (enough), within their business model, suitable to fleet etc etc. QF may have had a direct or indirect influence in some of those decisions - but definitely not all - and they find themselves now in a situation where they can make big profits given various market conditions.

However, wrt the OP, their service with respect to advanced seat allocation is consistent across all their routes (not just the very profitable ones). With respect to fares, we generally suspect that QF will charge the maximum that they believe the route will bear - certainly on the routes to Europe they aren't amongst the cheapest!! - this seems to be their general business model.

To put the two together is drawing a long bow.

BD
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by MEL-World
They currently make more money from Australia to/from US than most of their other international operations put together.
I've heard that said before, but nobody's ever provided anything to back that claim up.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 3:23 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by jjclancy
I've heard that said before, but nobody's ever provided anything to back that claim up.
From a few years back:

A report by investment bank JPMorgan said Qantas' most profitable route earned 15 per cent of the company's overall profit, and 41 per cent of the profit from its international operations despite accounting for 27 per cent of its international capacity.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
I have read through this thread and understand how Qantas allocates seats and understand the rational. I just booked two award tickets from ORD to OZ through AA and wasn't able to pre-select seats for the QF portions. Are the chances good that we will at least be seated together? Honestly, I don't think I can complain too much since the tickets were free (less taxes) but at least would like to sit together. If a call to someone at QF would help increase the odds that we are together, I am willing to do that. Thanks for the help.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
First, find out your Qantas(Amadeus) booking reference; you can then look your booking up on www.checkmytrip.com and check for any existing allocation - and, perhaps, a seat map.

You can then call Qantas, and make your request. As a oneworld Ruby you should have access to the premium forward areas if that's your wish.

This is based on the assumption that, as it's an award booking, there are many unsold seats and you should be able to obtain seat pre allocation.

Last edited by serfty; Dec 2, 2008 at 7:48 pm
Old Dec 3, 2008, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
From a few years back:
Thanks, appreciate the follow-up.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
First, find out your Qantas(Amadeus) booking reference; you can then look your booking up on www.checkmytrip.com and check for any existing allocation - and, perhaps, a seat map.

You can then call Qantas, and make your request. As a oneworld Ruby you should have access to the premium forward areas if that's your wish.

This is based on the assumption that, as it's an award booking, there are many unsold seats and you should be able to obtain seat pre allocation.
Thanks for the tip serfty. I did call Qantas and they put us in seats 70JK which are on the right side of the 2x4x2 seating area. I know it's in the back, but according to seatguru it's one of the higher rated seats. The higher rated seats towards the front of Economy the woman said was reserved for Qantas FF. She said if they are available at the airport they may assign them to us, but her recommendation was 70JK. She did give the disclaimer that something may happen which could change the seat, but she said honestly that is not very likely. I figured that is good enough for me.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:47 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by chiil1974
....., but her recommendation was 70JK. She did give the disclaimer that something may happen which could change the seat, but she said honestly that is not very likely. I figured that is good enough for me.
I have once seen a stretcher laid out over the tops of the three twin seats at the rear. There was a curtain installed to maintain privacy. The accompanying doctor was allocated 4 centre seats for his exclusive use. The passengers who lost their twin seats were located on the aisles of the 4 nearby centre seats - a good outcome giving everyone a free seat next to them. But this only worked because of the light loading (it was a 743 out of FCO).
Old Dec 6, 2008, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by chiil1974
Thanks for the tip serfty. I did call Qantas and they put us in seats 70JK which are on the right side of the 2x4x2 seating area. I know it's in the back, but according to seatguru it's one of the higher rated seats. The higher rated seats towards the front of Economy the woman said was reserved for Qantas FF. She said if they are available at the airport they may assign them to us, but her recommendation was 70JK. She did give the disclaimer that something may happen which could change the seat, but she said honestly that is not very likely. I figured that is good enough for me.
I'd go with 73JK myself. 70K has a pretty decent sized gap between the starboard arm rest of 70K and the bulkhead. Good if you want space to store things, bad if you're like me and you like resting against the bulkhead when you sleep.

But beggars can't be choosers I suppose, although 73JK are usually among the last to be allocated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.