Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF 107 - if late arriving in LAX, appears QF uses different aircraft to JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF 107 - if late arriving in LAX, appears QF uses different aircraft to JFK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Firstly I wouldn't book a Ford Ghia as it is against company policy, secondly considering I drive a Fiat 500 any rental car is going to be a bucket of bolts to me anyway, and I would consider there to be little difference between a Ghia and a Festiva especially coming from Avis who seem unable to rent me a car with a straight body panel or honour my upgrade vouchers anyway. So to me now a car is a car, as a seat in Y is still a seat in Y regardless of carrier. A bit like QF and AVOD which rarely works for me, I always seem to have someone in the seat next to me in Y and the food is rubbish. That leaves the cocktail which after having travelled for 17 hours already I usually pass and just sleep. So while QF might be a Ghia to you it really is the same as a Festiva to me, as it is still just a cramp, less than ideal seat in Y which ever way you look at it. It serves the purpose of transporting me from LAX to JFK as as long as I get there within a few hours of when I was planning, I am OK with that.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 6:51 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
If you hold an Australian passport Ausralian customs will not stamp the passport when arriving or leaving Australia...
They will if asked. I just say that I need it for work (and it is evidence of travel if you want your private health insurance company to refund contributions for while you are overseas).
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by nonce
Firstly ...
YMMV

Cheers ...
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:38 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
I must admit, the idea of QF cancelling a leg of a scheduled service due to late arriving aircraft - and bumping all the pax onto other airlines - had never occurred to me. I just assumed that the service would continue and impact down the aircraft's schedule until it returned to Oz (at which point QF could play reschedule-reshuffle). Does this happen often, does it happen with other airlines? The only one I can think of being mentioned here before is LAN cancelling AKL-SYD-AKL.

Do UA cancel SYD-MEL-SYD if their inbound is late? Do BA cancel GRU-EZE-GRU?

Is there a term for this practice? If not, can I suggest "short shunting" - just like trams!!

BD
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I got the answer to my question. What QF does is if QF107 is going to be significantly late arriving into LAX from SYD, then they use a different arriving flight (say QF93 from MEL) to provide the QF107 service from LAX to JFK. I suppose this allows the return QF108 to leave JFK on time and fly back to LAX to continue to SYD.

Since many traveling from SYD-JFK are likely on QF107 - the flight to JFK is likely light in loads. People transfer from the MEL and BNE flight to go to JFK.

QF then puts the QF107 people on another flight - likely an AA flight to JFK.

The net here is that if you buy a ticket on QF107 from SYD to JFK - there is no guarantee that you continue on QF107 to JFK if there is an irregularity. Hopefully, this is infreqent. QF really does not have any other choice as the turn from LAX-JFK is rather tight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.