Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Access for One World Sapphire

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Lounge Access for One World Sapphire

I am planning a trip to Australia for January, travelling with my fiancee. I will have a BA Silver Card - with a One World Sapphire lozenge.

We are looking at the following possible flights:

MEL-ADL
ADL-ASP
AYQ-SYD
or
ASP-SYD

We are considering flights with QF, JQ (Jetstar) or TR (Tiger). Obviously we would get no lounge access with TR. Would we get lounge access for flights with QF or JQ - and if so, what are the lounges like at MEL, ADL, ASP and AYQ?

Grateful for advice.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:20 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
You will get lounge access at all airports (except AYQ) when flying QF, as per OW entitlements. Although not officially documented, you will also be admitted into QF lounges when flying JQ.

Dave
Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks Dave - I'll look forward to it and try to avoid TR.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
AYQ is also a significant distance from ASP, about 4 hours on the b*s so i would recommend if you wish to go to AYQ you should fly in and out of AYQ. It will also be hot, in the 50's C every day from sunrise to sunset. This will mean all the tours and activities will take place early in the morning. I just had 4 nights at Longitude 131 last month and the touring program departed at 5am most mornings and finished at 9pm most nights. In summer the staff mentioned the touring program starts (departs) at 4am due to the heat.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 1:10 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by nonce
It will also be hot, in the 50's C every day from sunrise to sunset.
Sure - but only if you leave the thermometer in the sun. I'd believe more like mid 30s.
http://www.alice-springs.world-guide...s_weather.html
Old Oct 22, 2008, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I know it will be hot, but we survived Egypt in July (45c in Luxor). The plan now is to hire a car in ADL and drive north through Coober Pedy and on to Uluru, pay the charge for leaving the car at AYQ and head to SYD. That means missing ASP, but at least that will be something to look forward to in the future. It also means weilding my silver card only once - in MEL.

Last edited by Mr H; Oct 22, 2008 at 9:23 am Reason: horrendous spelling
Old Oct 22, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by Mr H
The plan now is to hire a car in ADL and drive north through Coober Peedy and on to Uluru, pay the charge for leaving the car at AYQ and head to SYD.
I really enjoyed the afternoon-overnight Ghan train from ASP to ADL (but do pay up for the spacious deluxe cabin if available). Having driven from ASP-AYQ-ASP, which is a pretty monotonous 7 hours over two days, the train was a welcome break from the car. And although you can legally punt along at 180kmh in the section of highway south of ASP to the border, hit a roo at that speed and you are dead meat.

PS Coober Pedy.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Sorry about the spelling - I should have looked it up. The Ghan would be lovely, but unfortunately it's outwith our budget right now.

I will ask for a bullbar on the car so it won't matter if we hit a kangaroo at speed. And I'll make sure to buy a large bottle of mineral water in case we get lost or stuck.

Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by James S
I really enjoyed the afternoon-overnight Ghan train from ASP to ADL (but do pay up for the spacious deluxe cabin if available). Having driven from ASP-AYQ-ASP, which is a pretty monotonous 7 hours over two days, the train was a welcome break from the car. And although you can legally punt along at 180kmh in the section of highway south of ASP to the border, hit a roo at that speed and you are dead meat.

PS Coober Pedy.
Speed limit in the NT is 130km/h these days
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:41 am
Original Poster

I guess I won't need to ask for a bullbar after all
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
You might want to also note that most car hire companies will not insure you against damage between sunset and sunrise which is when the majority of bull-bar related issues occur.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:00 am
Original Poster

As the great man sang:
Originally Posted by Rolf Harris
Sun arise, she bring in the morning.
Sun arise, bring in the morning, fluttering her skirts all around.
Sun arise, she come with the dawning.
Sun arise, come with the dawning, spreading all the light all around.

Sun arise, on the kangaroo paw.
Sun arise, on the kangaroo paw, glistening the dew all around.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:07 am

Having hit a piece of bouncing australiana at 120kmh I can assure you that you do (and that was only a wallaby which is kinda like a rat compared to an outback big red)
Old Oct 22, 2008, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
Speed limit in the NT is 130km/h these days
130kph on 4 roads only... The Stuart, Arnhem, Barkly and Victoria Highways only.

Everywhere else is 110kph.

The days of no speed limit went early last year. Just remember, the Speed declassification sign (black ring with line through it) don't mean anything anymore. 110 for most places, 130 in a few

Don't wanna get busted by speed traps

Last edited by drewbles; Oct 22, 2008 at 6:43 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Oct 22, 2008, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by IMOA
Having hit a piece of bouncing australiana at 120kmh I can assure you that you do (and that was only a wallaby which is kinda like a rat compared to an outback big red)
Just to add to that, I can assure you that even with a bull bar fitted on, you can still end up having a serious accident. We were out in the west recently visiting a couple of mining operations. I won't entertain you with the driving incident reports that were regaled to us ad nauseum, and yes plenty of them had to do with hitting the odd 'roo here and there.

Notwithstanding the amount of road kill seen on the sides of the road as we drove between mine sites. (I became official wildlife spotter for my colleague who was driving. Lucky for us, we didn't even see so much as the limb of a live animal whilst we were driving.)

So take care whilst driving out there. Belting at > 130 km/h is fun but is asking for trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.