Y+ Booking Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2008, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Y+ Booking Question

Looking at booking the following flights in Premium Economy Saver fare:

AKL-SYD-LHR-SYD-AKL

Do the AKL-SYD and SYD-AKL flights book into Discount Economy or Economy? It's not clear when booking on the Qantas website. I have a feeling it books into Discount Economy as it's essentially a Discount Premium Economy fare, but then again it is a higher cabin class than Economy so it may book into Full Economy. Anyone have any experiences?
Old Oct 17, 2008, 4:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
It books into economy (remember that other than within australia only full Y counts as full economy). These fares do not book into full Y on segments that have no premium economy.

As a guide (different fares may have different rules), my premium economy fare booked into H trans-tasman. If you can get the full fare rules this will specify for you.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
My experience is the fares book into B or H....
While the QF codeshare on BA booked into Y.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 6:09 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
My experience is the fares book into B or H....
While the QF codeshare on BA booked into Y.
Seems right. My previous experience (a few years ago) with a T class SYD-Europe-SYD BA fare in WT+ saw the BA Euro extension from LHR booked into Y class.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 9:56 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
I say that on a trip like yours to AKL-SYD-LHR-SYD-AKL, they should put you in J for the AKL-SYD and the SYD-AKL because Tassie J class isnt much better then Y+. The new Y+ plus would be better then the Domsic J seat you would get on the tassie.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I say that on a trip like yours to AKL-SYD-LHR-SYD-AKL, they should put you in J for the AKL-SYD and the SYD-AKL because Tassie J class isnt much better then Y+. The new Y+ plus would be better then the Domsic J seat you would get on the tassie.
Ha! Fat chance of that happening (it books into economy for the TT). We can only dream though...
Old Oct 18, 2008, 4:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

It will never happen (nor does it in reverse flying Air NZ Y+).
Old Oct 18, 2008, 7:45 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
my last Y+ trip had some domestic legs and they were booked into (B) - gets full econ SC (dom) so it's not all bad news
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:46 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by d00t
my last Y+ trip had some domestic legs and they were booked into (B) - gets full econ SC (dom) so it's not all bad news
Unfortunately for Trans Tasman flight or NZ Domestic flights only fare class Y is considered full economy for SC or upgrade costs. All others are considered as discount economy
Old May 19, 2009, 3:15 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Ha! Fat chance of that happening (it books into economy for the TT). We can only dream though...
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It will never happen (nor does it in reverse flying Air NZ Y+).
Don't know if i've missed a thread about this but I have just noticed that when you book a PE fare from NZ (to beyond but via Australia), if seats are available, you are seated in J for the TT sectors. With the current sale for J and PE fares from NZ makes for a fairly good deal (cost to get to Asia, for example, is much the same as a J fare trans-tasman e.g $2199 AKL-HKG rt)

No idea what it books into though

Jeff
Old May 19, 2009, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by jswong
Don't know if i've missed a thread about this but I have just noticed that when you book a PE fare from NZ (to beyond but via Australia), if seats are available, you are seated in J for the TT sectors. With the current sale for J and PE fares from NZ makes for a fairly good deal (cost to get to Asia, for example, is much the same as a J fare trans-tasman e.g $2199 AKL-HKG rt)

Jeff
Really? Are you sure the cabin class is business or are you referring to the fact that you are now seated in row 4?
If so I would not look too far into it as that has been made the first row of economy for TT flights now. eg. my SYD-WLG flight tomorrow night.
Old May 19, 2009, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Really? Are you sure the cabin class is business or are you referring to the fact that you are now seated in row 4?
A random test booking (no actual booking, just up to fare screen) warns:
Note : Your flight from Auckland to Sydney will be in Business (and vice versa)

If a Jetstar flight is chosen, then it warns the flight will be in JQHell (or rather Economy )

Last edited by Aus_Mal; May 19, 2009 at 6:25 am
Old May 19, 2009, 1:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by jswong

Jeff
It didn't work that way for me last month.
Old May 19, 2009, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It didn't work that way for me last month.
Yes it did not work for me last month or early this month either.
I went through a dummy booking and even though flights out of WLG individually show no Business Class available doing the PE option it shows that the TT flights are in J.
However what I did notice was that the quoted fare for SIN was $3074 while Business is $3999 that is advertised in the current "Experience luxury for less" promotion. Both of the PE choices were the "Saver" option, yes I know there is no sale fare for SIN in PE.
Old May 20, 2009, 3:49 am

Programs: QF WP, SPG Plat again and non elite member of many
I have confirmed booking in I seated in row 1 from AKL-SYD, and in T from SYD-SIN, and same on return as part of the PE sale last month. I think only some of the flights offered the I option, so it wasn't guaranteed.

A big thankyou to Kiwi Flyer as I also managed to enrol in the NZ bonus points offer ^.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.