Wiki Posts
Search

Best Flight To Cairns.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold
Best Flight To Cairns.

Can anyone please tell me what is the best Qantas flight to catch from Brisbane-Cairns (Return).

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:42 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BD*S, Hertz 5
You may need to narrow down your question a little bit. Are you roundtripping on a milage runin one day, travelling in J or Y and are you making connecting flights?

QF is pretty good at the same standard of service accross different flights and only the choice of aircraft may make a difference.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:57 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Definitely QF69 - it's on an international 763, some of the best mainline crews in Australia (ex Australian Airlines).
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum/MM, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by willyroo
Definitely QF69 - it's on an international 763, some of the best mainline crews in Australia (ex Australian Airlines).
Ah! I was put on the flight 30 min later, QF782, as I'm coming off an international connection... could I make an international connection at BNE in 1h 30? I will be in Business, and would much rather try and get on QF69 if I could... is there meal service on those flights in C?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 12:06 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by JDS@LAX
Ah! I was put on the flight 30 min later, QF782, as I'm coming off an international connection... could I make an international connection at BNE in 1h 30? I will be in Business, and would much rather try and get on QF69 if I could... is there meal service on those flights in C?
INT-INT in BNE in 90 minutes is very achievable, depends on who you are arriving on. Not sure what the MCT is, but if they gave you two hours for INT-DOM, I am sure that 90 minutes would be fine for INT-INT.

Dave
Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:13 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
When is the trip occuring, QF69 ceases to operate after 17th December?
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by markis10
When is the trip occuring, QF69 ceases to operate after 17th December?
13 NOV... Flt 69 is operating that day... I would be connecting from QF16 from LAX, our final destination is CNS. They put us on the later flight just to give us more time, but its a 73H, versus the int'l config 763... are those flights usually busy? Maybe I'll just try to stand by on QF69 if everything runs smoothly that day and I have time... never been down under, can't wait!
Old Oct 14, 2008, 1:19 am

Most definitely - especially in C class - and even more so on an Int'l leg. Even in Y class Domestic we still have meal service (albeit a snack/sandwich/something light) - still very nice to have!
Old Oct 14, 2008, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
13 NOV... Flt 69 is operating that day... I would be connecting from QF16 from LAX, our final destination is CNS. They put us on the later flight just to give us more time,
That made no sense. Xfer at BNE between INT and DOM is quite a chore. Terminals too far to walk (really, too far) and the only connection is a train service that is very infrequent. (still don't worry about the connection time).

But since you're connecting from the INT service, the connection to 69 is tres easy, and with the luggage transfer you'll go thru customs in Cairns, not in BNE.

DON'T BRING IN ANY FOOD. These people aren't kidding.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by jimmc66
That made no sense. Xfer at BNE between INT and DOM is quite a chore. Terminals too far to walk (really, too far) and the only connection is a train service that is very infrequent. (still don't worry about the connection time).
Well there is taxi if the train doesn't work. Driver will be annoyed at the short fare! They can't refuse you under Qld Taxi law though...

Airtrains run at min (I think) 30 mins most of the day, with more frequent services during peak times.

http://www.airtrain.com.au has all the details.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 3:25 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Well there is taxi if the train doesn't work. Driver will be annoyed at the short fare! They can't refuse you under Qld Taxi law though...
The taxis charge a flat rate per passenger to go Int-Dom (used to be $10, has probably increased), so they don't mind at all!
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:50 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
I would take QF 69 as changing terminals in BNE is a pain in the rear. If it is all on one ticket and the inbound flight is late QF will rebook you anyway.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by nonce
I would take QF 69 as changing terminals in BNE is a pain in the rear. If it is all on one ticket and the inbound flight is late QF will rebook you anyway.
So are you saying that QF 69 BNE-CNS departs from the international, not domestic terminal since it goes on as an international flight? If that is the case, I wouldn't need that extra 30 min that QF 782 affords me because w/ that flight I have to switch over to the domestic terminal (which sounds like a total pain)
Old Oct 15, 2008, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Exactly, you simply go though transit security and then up the escalator to departures.

Note however, that you will not be able to transit liquid (e.g. Duty Free), however you will be able to make Duty Free purchases of liquids at SYD T1 departures or CNS arrivals.

You will also do immigration/customs at CNS if you take QF069.

Last edited by serfty; Oct 15, 2008 at 5:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.