FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Qantas AIR Magazine (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/867289-qantas-air-magazine.html)

nonce Sep 18, 2008 1:10 am

Qantas AIR Magazine

It appears QF have launched a new magazine;

This publication will be available only to the top one per cent of Qantas Frequent Flyers and will be mailed quarterly.

The magazine is being done in partnership with ACP Magazines and is meant to be aimed at the travelling elite. No idea why I got one and I am presuming it is some sort of a mistake or an effort to show me what I could be experiencing if I was in the top one per cent of QF FF.

I really have to admit, I just don't get it. I can get a magazine but I can't get a plane that arrives on time or the occasional free upgrade or spare seat next to me? You know something useful and rewarding for being in the top 1%.

serfty Sep 18, 2008 1:25 am

Yeah, it was reported last week in Qantas keeps it's head low in the news lately.

nonce Sep 18, 2008 2:21 am

Oh right, would have never bothered to look there. I gave up on that thread quite some time ago. :-)

infoworks Sep 19, 2008 1:47 am

Got mine yesterday. Didn't inspire me particularly. Already passed it on to my TA who was interested in seeing it.

The card with it pointed out that it only was being sent to top 1%. I would assume that's still a circulation of 50,000 or so!

mattm199 Sep 19, 2008 4:56 am

Got mine today, and two questions come to mind:
1. Who really thinks it is just for the "top 1%", or are then buttering up the customers? I'm WP, with 1855 SC this year - would that make it into the top 1%?
2. What's with the odd mix of content? Who do you think they're aiming it at? It isn't quite all "toys for the obscenely rich" as I thought it might be. The Australian Way is almost a more entertaining read!

What does the forum think the purpose of it is?

BiziBB Sep 19, 2008 5:34 am

How does it compare, in terms of advertising, to the AFR Magazine (or the FFX Sydney or Melbourne mags)?

What percentage of editorial is devoted to QF hard product?

I have yet to check my letterbox for a few days.;)

infoworks Sep 19, 2008 5:49 am

No Qantas hard sell, no focus. Aimed more upmarket, but "scattered" IMHO. If targeting the "top 1%" then we travel a lot, what can it give us that helps be smarter about it, provides special opportunities, gives deeper insights into what we do that are different from the other magazines - a tall order perhaps.

Aus_Mal Sep 19, 2008 7:12 am

Originally Posted by mattm199 (Post 10392589)
What does the forum think the purpose of it is?

From the original Age article about it, Qantas seems to think the WP's/CL's are worth 2 Mill+:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/q...725900969.html

Targeting travellers worth more than $2 million with stories such as features on the merino wool used for $3000 Zegna business suits, the magazine will give ACP and Qantas a new avenue to secure advertising dollars from luxury brands, hotels and car makers.
BTW, 1% covers quite nicely the WP+CL population of the Qantas FF Scheme (on paper). On an Aircraft/In a lounge, things are much more different with the ratios of various FF tiers ! :)

infoworks Sep 19, 2008 7:23 am

A bit OT, but on flight back from BNE last night, CSM came to me and told me I was only Plat on plane (& no 1 on the list - so I assume no CL on board) I was quite surprised. A good leader and consequently good team!

DownUnderFlyer Sep 19, 2008 7:39 am

Originally Posted by mattm199 (Post 10392589)
1. Who really thinks it is just for the "top 1%", or are then buttering up the customers? I'm WP, with 1855 SC this year - would that make it into the top 1%?

Yes. All WPs will be in the Top 1%.

I think the Magazine is actually quite nice. I was just wondering how I can commission a Symphony for my wifes birthday and this article came just at the right time.

The magazine was discussed last year in the Qantas Customer Advisory Panel and we were asked about what we thought of the idea. I guess enough people responded positively.

asiaflyer Sep 19, 2008 7:50 am

I've been SG for a few years, about 100 SC shy of hitting WP at the moment, which I plan to achieve in the next month or so.

Anyway, I was suprised to come home this week and find the magazine in the mail. Not sure where or how they determine the 1% cut off.

It kept me occupied for about 30 seconds, and my wife who was excited based on the glossy envelope, was also unimpressed on looking at the magazine itself.

I think the concept is good - just not the right articles and advertising to draw me in at this stage.

perthite Sep 19, 2008 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer (Post 10393102)
I think the Magazine is actually quite nice. I was just wondering how I can commission a Symphony for my wifes birthday and this article came just at the right time.

I do hope you share the symphony with us.

Blackcloud Sep 19, 2008 7:43 pm

I have not got mine yet....or an A380 invite.:(
Oh well have to wait for Kiwi Flyer to return from CHC Do to see if NZ WP get it.

sailrob81 Sep 22, 2008 7:29 pm

Air

Just received edition 01 of the new Qantas Magazine - AIR - that will be distributed to the "top 1 percent of Qantas Frequent Flyers". It is exactly what was to be expected, a vehicle for advertising.

The first article is about how to commission a unique piece of music and this can fluctuate madly but runs about about $500 per minute of music for one player. Add more $$$ for many instruments.

The rest of the mag is just expensive watches, lifestyle furniture and apartments. Not one photo of a seat or plane nor one special offer. Guess as "the top 1 percent of QFF's" I have seen enough of that stuff and have sufficient funds to not need a sweetener. Would it ruin them to know that I got WP with one well thought out DONE4?

In all a bit of wank. I think the mag will hang around but a bit more editorial direction would help, a little listless in this edition.

shillard Sep 22, 2008 7:53 pm

No guns.

No cage dancers.

No Wicked Weasel Bikinis.

No cage dancers in Wicked Weasel bikinis with guns.

Pity.

Otherwise ok.