Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF reliability & changing to V*rgin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:55 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Oops, eoinnz, I posted before you amended your post. Sorry about that.

Dave
Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:06 am

That's alright Dave,

I decided, after I posted, I better have some facts.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:14 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by eoinnz
That's alright Dave,

I decided, after I posted, I better have some facts.
No dramas.

I apologise if I am getting a bit uppity - my gas heating has run out, it is currently 0.6º, windchill is taking it down to -4.4º, and I do not have any heating.

If my posts get a bit uppity, it is because I AM FREEZING!

Dave
Old Aug 8, 2008, 6:12 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
This might be a naive question now, but if QF is always late, how comes they have a 80%tish on time performance?
I unsure whether anybody has actually said that QF is ALWAYS late - m,any have said that their relaibility is very bad and not to depend on tight connections.

I have an issue with an overall average for relaibility. The figure issued to the media should be on individual sectors or flight numbers. For example, QF21 SYD-NRT is scheduled to depart at 2155. I can only recall one instance in the last couple of months where it has departed the next morning - ie a delay greater than 1 hr 5 min (23:00 curfew at SYD) - not that bad really. Now if it was QF 1 or QF 31, there is a good chance that either flight might be at least 3 hrs late (often 20:30 for QF1) and last month you could almost be certain that one or the other would depart next day (typically ~12 hrs late). Sure, you might be able to get 80% reliability out of these 2 sectors, but the figure is meaningless if you actually are booked on QF 1 or 31.

Delays for domestic flights (esp SYD-MEL-BNE) can be accommodated in the next hour or so. Delays for internationals are far more sever - connection problems, overnighters etc. Most here would know this already but it demonstrates the stupidity of an overall % for the whole network.

Last edited by og; Aug 8, 2008 at 6:20 pm
Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:43 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by Poguemahone
The fact is that Qantas Link are late ALOT.

I catch regular services on ABX-SYD and find that most my flights are late.
Ah, this from the one who would lecture us on "...understanding that somebody else can have a different experience...." Right.

I reckon I've spent more time on QF Link than most - in fact one year I racked up over 1200SCs in DISCOUNT economy on QF Link flights (cop that, if anyone can beat me in that pissing contest, I'll send them a bottle of the good stuff).

Back when it existed, the 17:30ish MEL-NTL on QF Link was almost always late - but that was the last flight for the day for an aicraft that went through CBR - see previous comments re: weather.

Otherwise, most flights are within 10 minutes of schedule - which I don't consider "late" at all. I often wonder what universe people live in - seriously.

People only get disappointed when there is a mismatch between their expectations and reality. Frequently (though not always) the problem lies more on the expectation side of the equation, than with the reality side.

YMMV.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 1:48 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by shillard
I reckon I've spent more time on QF Link than most - in fact one year I racked up over 1200SCs in DISCOUNT economy on QF Link flights (cop that, if anyone can beat me in that pissing contest, I'll send them a bottle of the good stuff).
Lets do another contest next year. The one who gets 1400 SCs through domestic discounted economy wins a bottle.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 4:26 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Lets do another contest next year. The one who gets 1400 SCs through domestic discounted economy wins a bottle.
Gotta be on QF link to pack the gear.

Those were all real flights too - no bus trips.

Vale QF1647 & QF1648.....
Old Aug 9, 2008, 7:52 am

I reckon I've spent more time on QF Link than most - in fact one year I racked up over 1200SCs in DISCOUNT economy on QF Link flights

That is about 6 months flying for me, all red e-deals (city flyer not link, but you will ned to explain why that makes a difference). I suspect everyone who is complaining is talking about the last 4 months or so. Qantas seems to agree with me that the service hasn't been so good of late , and the crews, a I said earlier, are not very happy.

cop that, if anyone can beat me in that pissing contest
Mind your shoes.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 2:56 pm

Well.

My year to date is

Current Status: Platinum
Status reassessment will occur: 31 Mar 2009
Status credits earned from 01 Apr 2008: 800
Additional Status credits required by 31 Mar 2009 to retain Platinum: 400
Additional Status credits required by 31 Mar 2009 to receive
complimentary 'Partner Gold' membership: 1,300

Now, all of this was on the DASH 8 SYD-CBR.

I have qualified for P for the last three years all on the DASH 8 service to CBR.

Current lifetime Status credits: 4,695

I fly six times plus a month.!....

Now can you understand why I am a miserable git.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 3:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
First rule of FT - there are always other FTers who fly more than you.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 3:58 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
First rule of FT - there are always other FTers who fly more than you.
But are there more FTers who fly on QFlink more than shillard?

Dave
Old Aug 9, 2008, 4:38 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
...People only get disappointed when there is a mismatch between their expectations and reality. Frequently (though not always) the problem lies more on the expectation side of the equation, than with the reality side.

YMMV.
Fair enough to a point, but it is also very much the case that sometimes its the reality/experience that creates the expectation.

On my recent trip to Oz I flew QF a total of 8 times, 4 international, 4 domestic. All 8 were late - three by around half an hour, three by 45 mins. to an hour, and the last two (connected flights) a total of over 5 hours. This was in addition to three of the flights having to have been rearranged due to QF flight cancellations (1 int., two domestic).

And this was all in addition to frequent poor to awful customer service on the phone and on the ground from QF staff (linking in to earlier comments from another poster about QF in general) - inc. four really bad/notable examples on one trip - combined I'm glad to say by two examples of excellent, excellent customer service when matters were escalated.

All I got out of it was a long-haul Y to J op up !

BA are as bad (with both delays, and frequent awful service) - last year I had something like 12 (short- and medium haul) sectors (out of about 14) that were delayed, almost in all cases with the delay longer than the flight (2-3 h. delays on 1-2 h. sectors) : So... do I not get angry at QF cos they are little or no different from BA (low expectations, or realistic ones depending on your perspective), or do I just get angry at both of them for being rubbish (high expectations, or unrealistic ones depending on your perspective)?

You might chose the former, personally I choose the later : it all depends what your standard of acceptable punctuality and customer service is.

For me, QF thus are indeed a late airline with poor customer service... why, because that is my enduring recent experience formed from a set (not just one) of experiences. This impression will endure until QF do something to change it sometime in the future, and thus my current and future expectations will lean towards the negative until that moment comes.

And as for those of you earning WP purely on domestic Disc. Y flights alone, you really do, genuinely, have my sympathy and respect... ouch, true Road (Sky ?!?) Warriors. (I thought I spent a lot of time 'down the back' - little did I know !)

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Aug 9, 2008 at 4:45 pm
Old Aug 9, 2008, 5:05 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
And as for those of you earning WP purely on domestic Disc. Y flights alone, you really do, genuinely, have my sympathy and respect... ouch, true Road (Sky ?!?) Warriors. (I thought I spent a lot of time 'down the back' - little did I know !)
PLEASE spare a thought for those of us who do not quite manage to make it to SG status - 520 SC's last year, apart from 80 SC's on QF mainline, all of the rest were on QFLink, at 10 SC's per pop (so 44 QFLink flights).

Dave
Old Aug 9, 2008, 5:13 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by thadocta
PLEASE spare a thought for those of us who do not quite manage to make it to SG status - 520 SC's last year, apart from 80 SC's on QF mainline, all of the rest were on QFLink, at 10 SC's per pop (so 44 QFLink flights).

Dave
Double ouch ! If QF don't consider that a justifiable reason to comp. SG status then shame on them !
Old Aug 9, 2008, 5:18 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
Double ouch ! If QF don't consider that a justifiable reason to comp. SG status then shame on them !
I agree (although I really should disagree, the service on QFLink is immeasureably better than the service on QF, my SK reward flights SYD-PER to watch the Weagles eventually lose to the Swans notwithstanding).

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.