Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Does owning Qantas shares gets you FF IPO Shares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2008, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald)

Well not a traveling question but want to know if anyone one can confirm this. If you own Qantas shares you are allocated Qantas FF Shares when they float...?
Old Aug 3, 2008, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
The IPO has not been announced yet. I suspect there is still a big question mark over whether they should or should not float.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 2:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Depends on how it is arranged - split, rights, etc.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 4:14 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
From what I have heard - the IPO is still planned to take place. It was one of the main drivers for relaucnhing "The one & only" FF program.

QF will retain about 60% with 40% floated. I doubt QF shareholders will get shares as they will benefit fromt he cash raised by QF in their current QF shares.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Planned maybe but nothing more than some vague statements. Let's see whether they will really do this or not. It depends on how people react to the program changes and of course on the market conditions. The QF shareprice might be affected too, once QFF's income isn't there anymore.
And the other question is: If they would sell QFF, what are they going to do with the money? Other than distributing it to QF shareholders I can't see what else QF would do with the money.

Edit: I thought of one thing they can do with the money: Buy another airline
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:09 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Air NZ, anyone?

Or AA has got to be going cheap as soon as congress gets with the 21st Century, and realises that Americans are really good at building aeroplanes and waging war with them, but hopeless at using them to make money carrying people from place to place.

As for the IPO, QF SOP sees an initiative kick into gear approx 2 years after it is announced (Skybed, IFE, Bloatbus, you name it).
Old Aug 4, 2008, 2:08 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
Like most things QF, the hype is so far ahead of the reality, anything is possible!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I wouldn't be surprised if there is some offer to existing QF shareholders, especially if the issue is oversubscribed.

Originally Posted by Kiwiflyer
Depends on how it is arranged - split, rights etc
It will be the first stock split I have heard of to raise money

I'm not sure a rights issue can be used for an IPO, as generally a rights issue requires a lower level of disclosure than an IPO would require.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 5:09 am

Like a lot of other floats, I would expect that Qantas shareholders get some kind of preferential application status.

Eg - guarantee of X shares for every QF share hold.
Minimum guaranteed allocation of shares.

But nothings been released yet.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by bensyd

I'm not sure a rights issue can be used for an IPO, as generally a rights issue requires a lower level of disclosure than an IPO would require.
rights issues are primarily to raise capital, this is essentially a spinoff so no need for a rights issue.

They could also do a trade sale, say Aeroplan take 20-25% and the rest floated on the market(tho i think I read somewhere QF will retain 40% of the shares?)

QF might pull/delay the sale tho, given the conditions in the equity markets and the fact that they are not desperate for the cash.

Of course, whether its a good time to buy into a business that is heavily reliant on air travel is another question.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: QF Gold MB Gold Elite
The lead and co managers have been assigned to the float and currently they are reviewing market volatility to determine timing.

With an enterprise value of about $1.8bn it will probably be one of the biggest floats of this year (lets hope it doesn't follow in BrisConnections shoes).

The QFFP represents about 12% of QF's valuation and there is a lot of cash there that Dixon/Joyce want to get their hands on. Look at Qantas retaining at least 50% of the company for control but at the same time they want as much stock out there to ensure the free float is high.

Don't place much of a chance for FFer's to get an allocation. All depends whether the the lead/co lead managers can place the stock by way of firm allocations to their clients. They may say download a prospectus and send it in and we'll see what we can do, but if the demand is strong the public has a snowball's chance in hell of getting stock.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 7:48 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by bravoecho
The lead and co managers have been assigned to the float and currently they are reviewing market volatility to determine timing.

With an enterprise value of about $1.8bn it will probably be one of the biggest floats of this year (lets hope it doesn't follow in BrisConnections shoes).

The QFFP represents about 12% of QF's valuation and there is a lot of cash there that Dixon/Joyce want to get their hands on. Look at Qantas retaining at least 50% of the company for control but at the same time they want as much stock out there to ensure the free float is high.

Don't place much of a chance for FFer's to get an allocation. All depends whether the the lead/co lead managers can place the stock by way of firm allocations to their clients. They may say download a prospectus and send it in and we'll see what we can do, but if the demand is strong the public has a snowball's chance in hell of getting stock.
No idea where you get the 12% from. QF market cap is $6.4bn currently. Dixon has said he has seen a price tag for the FFP of about $2.5bn to $3.5bn. In other words, they are expecting the program to be about half of the QF value. Even if only 40% of this are floated, this will still be more than 12%.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:46 pm

Programs: QF Gold MB Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
No idea where you get the 12% from. QF market cap is $6.4bn currently. Dixon has said he has seen a price tag for the FFP of about $2.5bn to $3.5bn. In other words, they are expecting the program to be about half of the QF value. Even if only 40% of this are floated, this will still be more than 12%.
The 12% is in relation to their share price valuation and not their total market cap. Dixon is dreaming to get those sort of valuations - consensus is between $1.7bn and $2.7bn. In this market there is no room for a healthy listing premium and if there was staggers would be all over it on the first day pushing the capitalisation down.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 6:56 am

Programs: SG, PR, Avis Preferred and so on
I await the opportunity to become a shareholder through the "new improved FF scheme". thats right people, use your points to become a shareholder in the FF scheme. Varying prices available of course depending on classic or any share options, preference provided to WP's and CL.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.