Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

New Amadeus System Bumping Qantas Economy Passengers Off!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Amadeus System Bumping Qantas Economy Passengers Off!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2008, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
hi

can I just ask what happens if the flight is really empty?

Does the system still allocate just the number of seats per status pax, or does the system calculate a proportion of the empty seats and lock those off for each level? For example, if there were 6 plats in Y on a 737 with only 20 odd pax in total, do the plats just get allocated row 1 of economy only, or would they get all of rows 1-3 or 1-5 locked off?

(it would seem a bit unfair if there were 6 plats that all had to sit in the first row and then the remaining 20 gold, silver, bronze had 100 seats to choose from and could spread out).

regards

lme ff
Old Aug 1, 2008, 6:02 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by formeraa
Unfortunately, it is an operational nightmare. How on earth are the agents supposed to straighten this out [...]?
I think it is QFs intention that the agents do not have to straighten anything out but that the system handles 99% of the issues.

Originally Posted by formeraa
How on earth are the agents supposed to [....] get passengers on the plane? ?
Stairs? Aerobridge?
Old Aug 1, 2008, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by denCSA
Actually in your case (if I understand correctly), you would be in a favorable position. Say there's a plane with 150 seats, and booked full with 150 pax. Each pax is given a ranking from 1-150. Say there were 60 status members on the flight, but each one bought a low, low fare ticket. Say you (for example, have no status) bought an expensive ticket closer to departure. Depending on how QF has setup there rules, and how much weight each one has, you may end up somewhere below A platinum flier, but above say, a gold flier because of your fare. So in theory, let's say you were placed at #47 on the list. Basically, when you go to check-in, you will see 103 seats open for your selection.

In that same scenario say someone with no status, and a super cheap ticket went to check-in and they were #146 on the list. They will ONLY SEE 4 SEATS AVAILABLE FOR SELECTION. It does not matter when you check-in (unless you had your heart set on a specific seat), you will still see the best seats available at the time you check in, because the seats YOU see will not be made available to a lower ranking pax. Hopefully that makes sense. Cheers!
That actually makes me more concerned, now you're saying a non status passenger could be ranked higher than me (which sounds really self important but you get the idea). I'm often not attached to a printer (or a computer for that matter) so typically I check in at the airport, usually having a quick look at the seatmap to see if there are aisles with empty middles. Basically I'm not too fussy about what seat I have except I utterly despise flying in a middle seat. What I'm worried about is if qantas ranks a middle near the front higher than an aisle near the back and check in at the airport I'll only be left with middles when there are seats I'd much rather have which have been taken. Thats where the old system was great, the passengers were ranked and the passengers preferences were looked at. Under the current system that passengers are ranked more precisely but their preferences are basically ignored when allocating the seats.

I'm SG at the moment so pretty much every flight I take will result in an aisle at worst in the middle of the aircraft and as long as I check in within 30 mins of the flight (I've learnt that lesson) pretty much no-one can kick me out. I can see what they're trying to do but with the way I travel/check in etc I can only see this new way of doing things as being worse for me.

Best way I can explain my feelings is that I have a minimum level of what I am looking for (ie, not a middle seat), below that I'm miserable, above that (eg aisle 2 rows from the front vs aisle 10 rows from the front) is nice but I don't really care. The way this system works seems to be about trying to get me that extra joy which I don't care about by risking my minimum level of comfort which I really do care about.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 2:00 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Checking in at T-23.59 (middle of the Bledisloe)
on a J0 flight as a WP/J Fare.
Sequence Number is 1 !

Aircraft a 767-25J so seat choice good.

Pre-allocated 1K (Forward window pref). Following seats not selectable
1A, 1E, 2A, 2J, 2K (Maybe CLs, but I don't understand how I could be allocated 1K but not able to select 2K).

Naturally changed seats to 3A.

So far I like the new system - benefits for early web check-in
Old Aug 4, 2008, 1:05 am

I had 2 very different experiences on the weekend.

Flying to Melbourne, I had front row with a seat blocked next to me (and was a reasonably full flight, I couldn't spot many other empty seats).

However, coming home last night I was given 57F. 3rd last row of economy..

FWIW I am a QP PS, flying on a red e-deal.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:48 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Well I am liking the new system. On my SYD-MEL flight this week I had the choice of all except 2 seats in the J cabin flying on S class upgraded to U. The return I had the choice of all but 4 seats flying on N class. My return was cancelled yet I was rebooked and checked in with a seq number of 68 into seat 4A on a full 738. So the system works in my opinion and works well. Both flights were during peak times.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 1:27 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Yesterday I was assigned 6A. Went to OLCI and went to see if there were better seats, 2D 3C 3F 4C 4D & 4F available, on a 734. ...! So I took a J seat, SEQ 4.
Not happy but at least I was able to get a seat I wanted.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:11 am

Blackcloud I feel for you. A WP and a choice of so many bad seats. :-)
Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Thursday pm flight with check-in online wednesday pm. Seq 2. Allocated first row aisle. Only other seats available were ALL the exit row seats. Rest of plane booked solid!

So system works well in allowing you to select exits!

yay!!
Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:32 am
Suspended

Actually I find another problem with the new system is through checking in an outport.

I experience problems in NRT last week whereby the local DCS can't interface properly and won't allow the agent to select seats for the domestic sector, they have to send a SSR to SYD to rectify that on arrival. Also it keeps on spitting out a Y Class BP where i am in J.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:05 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by moa999
Blackcloud I feel for you. A WP and a choice of so many bad seats. :-)
Whoops. My was in regards to the fact that I was not pre-allocated a J seat that upon OLCI showed there was availability and I felt I should have been allocated one in the first place.
Sometimes I cannot do the OLCI or the fact that those doing a FIFO can access the return flight before I can when they checkin for their morning flights, means that I may not get my stated preference.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:10 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
So I am really liking the new system so far after having done 2 on departure upgrades and getting row 1 of J on both occasions. The only issue to be aware of is that if you have checked in for your return flight and ODU you will loose your seat and be checked back in again. So this morning I lost 1st row of Y for 3rd row of Y for my return flight. I was warned about this when doing the ODU but didn't realise the impact until the new BP was printed.

What I have learnt is OLCI as soon as the 24 hr period opens to maximise your ability to pick a seat because as soon as you are checked in a higher ranking pax cannot displace you.

The real test is Saturday when I do CHC-ZQN with the wife as the new system should see us at the front of the plane, where as the old system would see us down the back.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:23 am

Programs: QF, Golden Circle, Marriott Rewards
Think I've just made a mistake.......

I just changed flights because the original flight looked so "empty" at OCLI that I was sure it would be cancelled and decided to go a flight earlier rather than be pushed back.

But if I understand the new system as explained by denCSA, those seats are not vacant at all but are just available to me as a high paying fare customer?

What is the best way now to check that flights are not half-empty (and therefore likely to be cancelled)
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:48 am

Seatcounter.com or Expert Flyer generally provide a good indication of flight loading.

Note, EF has a subscription fee.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:48 am

Correct - As a high status member you are now likely to be able to see most of the plane

Think you now need access to acess flight data -
free services include seatcounter.com
or paid services including expertflyer.com

A plane with cheap seat availability last minute (eg N,O classes) has a high degree of being cancelled.

(Edit: beaten be a millisecond)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.