Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF30 emergency landing MNL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2008, 1:29 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Reported on the beeb over here in the UK now. Also shows a different picture of the hole.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7524733.stm
Old Jul 25, 2008, 1:30 am

Programs: Qantas, Air New Zealand, United
thanks an_boy

thankyou for that interesting to know
Old Jul 25, 2008, 1:33 am

Programs: Qantas, Air New Zealand, United
so now qantas are down a 747 with premium economy

interesting to note so their will be lots of annoyed passengers in the future who will be without premium economy it will seem
Old Jul 25, 2008, 1:40 am

BBC link if you want to read it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7524733.stm

Just watching BBC Breakfast and they've shown a picture the hole in the aircraft. Wow!
Old Jul 25, 2008, 2:20 am

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
VH-OJK Delivered 1991

Last maintained in Avalon. Rumoured ot have had corrosion issues when it was in last Feb for maintenance.
One NEWS report I saw TEN at 5 said it was the plane that took the Pope home but obviously not
Old Jul 25, 2008, 2:44 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Typical sensationalist reporting. "Passengers were terrified when the plane plumetted from 40,000 feet to 25,000 feet.". No you idiots, it's called a controlled emergency descent, the purpose of which is to allow people to breathe. It's my understanding that the oxygen masks only provide a few minutes of air with the idea being that the plane should always be down at a "breatheable" altitude within this space of time.

If I was in a rapid depressurisation and there wasn't a sudden descent, frankly then I'd be worried.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 2:52 am

Programs: Qantas Club Gold
It appears that QF 29 scheduled for Friday 25 July is now being sent via Manila to drop off the investigation team from Australia and/or pick up some of the affected passengers to take them onto Hong Kong. Not sure if they will be accommodated onto other flights from HKGMEL or whether a new plane will fly over to pick them up.

Current timings (in local times) for tonight's QF 29 are as follows:

Depart MEL 22.50 Arrive MNL 0445
Depart MNL 0555 Arrive HKG 0755
Depart HKG 0915 Arrive LHR 1500
Old Jul 25, 2008, 3:04 am

Allow me to further expand from ozzie's post.

On the 747 there are actually oxygen tanks. They supply more than enough oxygen to the point crew don't have to know how much is stored and how long the supply will last. The supply can also be shut off and restarted again. The same tanks can also supply individual oxygen to one person using a therapeutic oxygen connection above every seat. You've probably seen it before.

On the 767/737/333/332 there is a limited amount of oxygen. Depending on the aircraft the supply is anywhere from 12 to 22 minutes. Unlike the 747 when you pull a mask it will supply oxygen to all masks in that row since the oxygen comes from a chemical reaction in each unit.

If the plane was at 30,000FT as per reports passengers would of had about 1 minute of consciousness had the plane not rapidly descended and passengers placed their masks on.

When an explosive decompression happens it gets windy onboard and probably quite cold. Oxygen masks will drop, all cabin lighting automatically goes bright and a very very very loud PA plays automatically 3 times.

This hopefully will give you an idea of what actually would of happened onboard.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 3:11 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by eoinnz

This hopefully will give you an idea of what actually would of happened onboard.

At which time most people would be slightly terrified! I think it is only natural.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 3:12 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Bows to superior knowledge ... I thought the chemical thing applied on all planes and didn't realise that the 747 was different ... I thought the idea of the chemical process was that it is fully self-contained. What if a bit of the plane between the oxygen tank and your seat goes missing ?
Old Jul 25, 2008, 3:22 am

This is MAJOR news right now in Australia with a huge picture on the front page of The Age (www.theage.com.au). Qantas can expect a lot of flack about this, especially following on from the recent job cuts announcement.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 3:26 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Damm, PPRUNE and OzFF ae unavailable (or maybe its just my computer).
Old Jul 25, 2008, 3:31 am
SFU

Programs: QFF Gold
Vision just shown on Sky in the UK shows the interior, as taken on a mobile phone.
Aircraft seems to be one of the recent refits, with red Y seats.
Vision also shows landing, and audio of passengers clapping on touchdown.
Everyone seemed calm.
More info: 1991 delivery date of a/c
Old Jul 25, 2008, 3:46 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by SFU
Aircraft seems to be one of the recent refits, with red Y seats.
c
OJK was the first to get fitted with Y+.... also rumoured to have been delayed at AVV due to corrosion.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 4:52 am

Zoinks.

I have to get this exact flight in a couple of weeks. A trifle unnerving but hey.

Glad to see the passengers applauded when they landed. Too damn right! I'd be thrusting $20 notes into the pilot's palm while declaring my everlasting love. Glad they landed safely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.