Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page > Award seat availability dependant on status

Award seat availability dependant on status

Old Apr 29, 08, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF SQ VS
Thumbs up Award seat availability dependant on status

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed here previously but I'm not sure where it ended up.

I have access to a Plat QFF number and a Bronze QFF number. Seated at 2 computers each signed into QFF on the different numbers and doing reward availability it is an absolute fact that F class does not display to a Bronze QFF but does to a Plat.

Now I know there are those here who would say that F availability should only go to those who have status not just credit card points and I can understand that viewpoint.

My issues are:

1/ Is this a change in policy and if so has it been publicly declared or has it been done by subterfuge.

2/ If I can identify an F seat on a plat QFF no can I ring QFF using a bronze QFF no and get the seat.

3/ Is it a code error ( ha ha )

Sorry if I am going over old ground

hvb
Old Apr 29, 08, 6:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Did you lookup the F seat using the Plat account first then the Bronze account?

Just wondering if when you search for available fares whether it blocks out those seats - thus if you did this in reverse would the bronze get the F seats?
Old Apr 29, 08, 6:49 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
I am Bronze and can see some F seats SYD-SIN

But STD-LAX Nil and no Y+

When seats are in short supply then maybe status has something to do with it.

Or are they saving premium seats until any time awards are available
Old Apr 29, 08, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simongr View Post
Did you lookup the F seat using the Plat account first then the Bronze account?

Just wondering if when you search for available fares whether it blocks out those seats - thus if you did this in reverse would the bronze get the F seats?
Not sure but I suspect I tried the Bronze first.
Will try again later.
hvb
Old Apr 29, 08, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltS
Actually, this behavior has been observed since earlier this year.

FWIW, seats are not reserved/held until you select a flight.

Functionality for this seems to have been introduced when QFF went to "a sub class of X" for elite WHY awards (replacing T, which was reassigned to represent a Y+ booking class).

Methinks this functionality is being employed for other cabins as well.
Old Apr 30, 08, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Yeah,....proof positive

Even if trying Bronze first and then plat, F only shows on plat.

Me thinks the " enhancements" to the program soon will have something to do with restricted availability.

Dont hold your breath but I think the big CC spenders like me are about to get the old ....." you're only a bronze so you cant travel premium".

On another track the "enhancements" are bound to be tied up with the A380 introduction.........meaning if you're Bronze you're not going to get anywhere near F on the A380 net even for a million points.

hvb
Old Apr 30, 08, 8:07 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by HVB3172 View Post
...On another track the "enhancements" are bound to be tied up with the A380 introduction.........meaning if you're Bronze you're not going to get anywhere near F on the A380 net even for a million points...
Just like SQ and EK -- QF is so good at matching the competition when it works in their favour.
Old Apr 30, 08, 6:57 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Do the T&Cs spell out that Bronze have less access to awards than Platnium.

If not and it does occur then there might be a case under TPA deceptive and misleading conduct.
Old Apr 30, 08, 7:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer View Post
Do the T&Cs spell out that Bronze have less access to awards than Platnium.

If not and it does occur then there might be a case under TPA deceptive and misleading conduct.
What, you mean like how the award availability for MEL-LAX via AKL is much better than for AKL-LAX on the same flight, forcing ex-NZ to go via Australia (at higher redemption cost)? Unfortunately QF can do what it likes here and does not need to spell out who it commercially favours or not.
Old Apr 30, 08, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by HVB3172 View Post
Yeah,....proof positive

Even if trying Bronze first and then plat, F only shows on plat.

Me thinks the " enhancements" to the program soon will have something to do with restricted availability.

Dont hold your breath but I think the big CC spenders like me are about to get the old ....." you're only a bronze so you cant travel premium".

On another track the "enhancements" are bound to be tied up with the A380 introduction.........meaning if you're Bronze you're not going to get anywhere near F on the A380 net even for a million points.

hvb
As someone lucky enough to earn points mostly from flying (albeit I credit to AA) this is a major real enhancement to the top tier. Depending on how my travel profile changes over the next year, if this was confirmed I would most likely switch back to QF to improve my chances of a premium award seat...

Re the SQ A380 seat - I don't think anyone can get an award in F on the SQ A380 at all...
Old Apr 30, 08, 9:17 pm

As a QF platinum I can attest that QF will release more award seats to Plat. members. I have called at least twice in the past two years and seats from LAX-SYD in first have been released by the office in MEL within a day or two..especially on QF8...
Old Apr 30, 08, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA
The plat thing has been around for a while...

This latest round though is extra availability through the online engine without having to call.
Old Apr 30, 08, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by RTW4 View Post
As a QF platinum I can attest that QF will release more award seats to Plat. members. I have called at least twice in the past two years and seats from LAX-SYD in first have been released by the office in MEL within a day or two..especially on QF8...
In which cabin class though?
Old Apr 30, 08, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by simongr View Post
In which cabin class though?
All classes I think. My partner used it for 3 x J tix over christmas last year SYD-ADL-SIN .
Old May 1, 08, 3:42 am

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum OW Emerald
Originally Posted by RTW4 View Post
I can attest also. Managed to pick up an F award seat on QF 107 4 weeks out from departure, which also happened to be the first day of school holidays. That was a full flight!
Same also for QF 8, which changed to QF 12 after the 8 was cancelled.

Cheers

Search this Thread