Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas keeps it head low in the news lately

Qantas keeps it head low in the news lately

Old Aug 25, 2003, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
QANTAS chief Geoff Dixon vowed yesterday to protect the flagship airline against what he described yesterday as "unlawful union activity".
Old Aug 26, 2003, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Geoff Dixon talk with the unions about further contract staff at MEL airport
Old Aug 26, 2003, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Air France has seen profits fall by more than 95% as a result of the Sars respiratory virus, strikes at home, and the weakness of the global economy
Old Aug 27, 2003, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Air France said on Wednesday that talks with Dutch airline KLM had become more active recently, with the airlines examining what sort of returns an alliance would bring...
Old Sep 10, 2003, 12:16 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Qantas experiences flight delays out of Melbourne due to computer upgrade glitch.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Virgin targets QF's on time performance record
Old Sep 16, 2003, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

while Air France, KLM and Alitalia are set to take crunch decisions on Wednesday on a tie-up that could put them on the path to creating Europe's largest airline
Old Sep 18, 2003, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

QANTAS and Virgin Blue yesterday began round one of the four-airline knockout bout for control of the Tasman.

Gotta love these price wars....how about BNE to AKL though (would love to go in Nov, QF)
Old Sep 22, 2003, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Qantas suffered a marked downturn in international passenger numbers in July as the global aviation industry struggled to recover from the impact of war and the SARS virus.

Maybe now they'l realise that they should have added a premium Y cabin like WT+ - they've lost a lot of premium revenue paxs to BA (whose numbers should start similarly climbing)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Qantas's favoured measure of passenger numbers, international "revenue passenger kilometres", fell 11.7 per cent to 4.21 billion kilometres. The airline's seating capacity, measured in "available seat kilometres", decreased by 11.5 per cent to 5.13 billion. </font>
So, using my simple mathematical approach, means that loads overall were 82% on Intl routes. QF would be with that - appears that they have been getting the right mix of available flights and pax numbers.

(Edited to add last quote and para)

[This message has been edited by QF WP (edited 09-22-2003).]
Old Sep 22, 2003, 7:29 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF WP:

Maybe now they'l realise that they should have added a premium Y cabin like WT+ - they've lost a lot of premium revenue paxs to BA (whose numbers should start similarly climbing)
</font>
As has been said previously, why bother to fly QF Y when you can go BA WT+ and get extra SCs, a better seat and not pay that much more. The only downside is a BA cabin that is too hot. I bet QF are regularly checking how much traffic they are loosing to BA because of this.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 8:35 pm
NM

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by og:
As has been said previously, why bother to fly QF Y when you can go BA WT+ and get extra SCs, a better seat and not pay that much more. The only downside is a BA cabin that is too hot. I bet QF are regularly checking how much traffic they are loosing to BA because of this.</font>
Pitty we can only fly BA's WT+ on the Kangaroo Route and not over the Pacific!
Old Sep 22, 2003, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Pity, cause I'd fly as far as HKG/NRT to connect to BA WT+ to USA...I'm with you NM (particularly because of their high incidence of op upping WP's to J )
Old Sep 22, 2003, 10:18 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF WP:
Pity, cause I'd fly as far as HKG/NRT to connect to BA WT+ to USA...I'm with you NM (particularly because of their high incidence of op upping WP's to J &lt;IMG SRC="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thumbsup.gif"&gt; )</font>
I've even considered flying Syd-LHR-JFK to get WT+ (!)[fn*] but won't do so as long as QF107 remains a daylight flight. The 10.45am-12.45pm departure is so much better than the later afternoon that it used to be (? 4pm ?) cos you don't really get tired till the US transcon.

For the return, however, JFK-LHR-SYD in WT+ beats the hell out of QF108 Y overnight! Try doing it with every seat full, urgh. (I remember being the only one in the cabin many years back, had one row for meals and another whole row for sleeping, now that was fun.)

fn*. the reason being that since you're going to be exhausted when you get there, an extra 10hrs won't make *that* much difference
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:56 pm
NM

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aura:
I've even considered flying Syd-LHR-JFK to get WT+ (!)[fn*] but won't do so as long as QF107 remains a daylight flight. The 10.45am-12.45pm departure is so much better than the later afternoon that it used to be (? 4pm ?) cos you don't really get tired till the US transcon.</font>
Have you priced this option? From the BA web site, picking some randome dates about 3 months out with SYD-LHR-JFK in early December and return JFK-LHR-SYD in mid Feb (to meet any strange fare rules) and selecting cheapest premium economy (ie discount WT+), I get a fare of A$10,861.56. For way less than that fare I get DONE RTW in J and earn heaps more QF FF points, heaps more SC's and lie flat on the same BA flights.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Richard Branson and Chris Corrigan are no strangers to the media spotlight, but their fledgling airline, Virgin Blue, is apparently yet to achieve household-name status.

From the article:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Forty-five per cent of Australians "accept" or "identify with" the Virgin Blue tag, according to the AustraliaScan survey being compiled by Quantum Market Research. That is only 3 per cent more than the number who remain loyal to the Ansett brand more than two years after its last passenger flight.

And with Virgin Blue's $1.4 billion-plus public float expected in the next 12 months, a more worrying statistic is the 22 per cent of respondents who "reject" the brand altogether.</font>
There is obviously something to be said for the negative sentiment associated with Sir Richard (as well as to a lesser extent, Chris Corrigan).

I love one of the quotes in the article:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">...the dominance of Qantas - 68 per cent of the population identify strongly with the flying kangaroo ...</font>
Need I say more - not me

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.