Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas keeps it head low in the news lately

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas keeps it head low in the news lately

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
I wonder if QF will ban the two guys who assaulted Andrew Bolt with a glitter bomb from all QF/JQ flights....
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Reds2011
I wonder if QF will ban the two guys who assaulted Andrew Bolt with a glitter bomb from all QF/JQ flights....
I'm no fan of Joyce, but his reaction was very calm and appropriate. Mind you imho his assailant probably has mental health issues whereas Bolt's seem like thugs.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:15 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The slide continues

It'll be hard for the QF spin doctors to find anything to crow about with this. The slide to the bottom continues.

http://www.traveller.com.au/worlds-b...-awards-gwv9t3
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by og
It'll be hard for the QF spin doctors to find anything to crow about with this. The slide to the bottom continues.

http://www.traveller.com.au/worlds-b...-awards-gwv9t3
They might, of course, have simply stopped reading at the word "Skytrax", as I did.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:13 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Globaliser
They might, of course, have simply stopped reading at the word "Skytrax", as I did.
Ditto.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Well yes - except they quote previous skytrax awards on their website: http://www.qantas.com/travel/airline...ntas/global/en
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:08 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I like this. A guy checks in a can of beer as checked baggage on QF and it, amazingly, survives.

And comes out first.

www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-40577923
Old May 13, 2019, 5:44 pm

Not wanting to start a new thread......

The Qantas Flight 44 (May 13) from Bali to SYD looks like it back tracked some distance (>1 hour) to divert to Broome
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f.../qf44#207f29ed

The QF26 HND-SYD that diverted to CNS on Saturday May 11 had this comment in the press:
“In line with standard procedures, the pilots shut down the engine and the flight diverted to Cairns. While customers may have heard a loud bang, there was never a safety risk with the flight. These aircraft are designed to safely operate on three of the four engines.”

begs the question if they are designed to safely operate on three of the four engines why the flight did not continue to SYD as scheduled. IMHO the only risk would be bad publicity !

The Qantas source lately has stated a 744 has been frequently operating JQ3/4 SYD-HNL for Jetstar recently - is JQ short a 787-8 ?
Old May 13, 2019, 5:55 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Aspen
Not wanting to start a new thread......

The Qantas Flight 44 (May 13) from Bali to SYD looks like it back tracked some distance (>1 hour) to divert to Broome
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f.../qf44#207f29ed

The QF26 HND-SYD that diverted to CNS on Saturday May 11 had this comment in the press:
“In line with standard procedures, the pilots shut down the engine and the flight diverted to Cairns. While customers may have heard a loud bang, there was never a safety risk with the flight. These aircraft are designed to safely operate on three of the four engines.”

begs the question if they are designed to safely operate on three of the four engines why the flight did not continue to SYD as scheduled. IMHO the only risk would be bad publicity !

The Qantas source lately has stated a 744 has been frequently operating JQ3/4 SYD-HNL for Jetstar recently - is JQ short a 787-8 ?
It may be safe to fly a 747 a long distance on 3 working engines (BA did so), but I’d suggest the crew elected to land ASAP if they were not certain that the engine that crapped itself didn’t manage to fully contain the debris. It also may not have had enough fuel to get home even if all was otherwise OK.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The company cannot win in such a situation

If it diverts, then the question is why it diverted if it is safe to continue
If it doesn't divert then the question is why would it continue with a failed engine
nancypants likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by og

It may be safe to fly a 747 a long distance on 3 working engines (BA did so), but I’d suggest the crew elected to land ASAP if they were not certain that the engine that crapped itself didn’t manage to fully contain the debris. It also may not have had enough fuel to get home even if all was otherwise OK.
From a pilots perspective these are both no brainers.
A twin loses or has any problem with an engine and it must divert.
In the four engine a/c the pilots have more options. Narrowed down and put simply it can be broken into two possibilities:
  1. If there is any doubt about the integrity going forward then a diversion is required. eg If the engine failed and maybe was not contained or if the was a fire warning or overheat even momentarily or any other indication that causes any doubt,
  2. If the engine simply shut itself down or was shutdown by the pilots then there is a need to recalculate range and endurance and make a decision about continuing or diverting.
og, nancypants and QF WP like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
From a pilots perspective these are both no brainers.
A twin loses or has any problem with an engine and it must divert.
In the four engine a/c the pilots have more options. Narrowed down and put simply it can be broken into two possibilities:
  1. If there is any doubt about the integrity going forward then a diversion is required. eg If the engine failed and maybe was not contained or if the was a fire warning or overheat even momentarily or any other indication that causes any doubt,
  2. If the engine simply shut itself down or was shutdown by the pilots then there is a need to recalculate range and endurance and make a decision about continuing or diverting.
I was on QF 26 the other day. It was my very first time on Qantas (I live in the States) as well as my first time on a 747. We were cruising right along, with everyone asleep, when there was suddenly a loud noise and the plane starting shaking significantly. It felt like we descended (under control) near immediately. 10 minutes later the pilot came on and announced that there was trouble with the engine and that they had to shut it down. The plane continued to shake and vibrate until we finally landed in Cairns 2 hours later.

That was my first major issue in the sky, and I have to say it was pretty scary. They announced at first that we were safe to continue on to Sydney, but then we could see the course change on the flight map and a bit later they announced that we were going to divert to Cairns "because of the shaking".
nancypants and mikalee like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by fls114
I was on QF 26 the other day. It was my very first time on Qantas (I live in the States) as well as my first time on a 747. We were cruising right along, with everyone asleep, when there was suddenly a loud noise and the plane starting shaking significantly. It felt like we descended (under control) near immediately. 10 minutes later the pilot came on and announced that there was trouble with the engine and that they had to shut it down. The plane continued to shake and vibrate until we finally landed in Cairns 2 hours later.

That was my first major issue in the sky, and I have to say it was pretty scary. They announced at first that we were safe to continue on to Sydney, but then we could see the course change on the flight map and a bit later they announced that we were going to divert to Cairns "because of the shaking".
What happened when you got to Cairns?

Were you rebooked on Qantas domestic services or were some put up overnight?
Old May 15, 2019, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by henrus
What happened when you got to Cairns?

Were you rebooked on Qantas domestic services or were some put up overnight?
Passed through customs in Cairns and then rebooked on domestic flights. We landed around 6 am and I believe my rebooked flight departed at 1:45.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:04 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fls114

Well, of course, there was a FTer on the flight in question. ^

You certainly picked good first time to be on a 747, with one engine out of four inoperative I barely would have woken from my sleep but because you were an eyewitness on board you gave us a first hand account that the loud bang startled all the passengers and the constant shaking meant that not too many people would be going back to sleep.

Yes, yes yes, I know the twin engine aeroplanes are very reliable but personally I prefer the redundancy of four engine aeroplanes, one engine out on a 747 - I'd go back to sleep, one engine out on a twin - probably not going back to sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.