Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas keeps it head low in the news lately

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas keeps it head low in the news lately

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2003, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
while Swiss insists it's on the comeback
Old Aug 20, 2003, 3:29 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
QF WP, I'm just getting in practice for while you are on special leave from FT in a few weeks time.

QF Baggage Handlers Ordered to Work.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Thanks, NM...glad somebody is picking up my mantle of newshound (other than doc)

Qantas's holiday company said it would take an extra 50,000 tourists to New Zealand a year if the alliance between Qantas and Air New Zealand was allowed to proceed
Old Aug 20, 2003, 7:14 pm
NM

Qantas Reorganisation.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 7:17 pm
NM

And Qantas Results for Year Ending 30 June.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Qantas wins on casuals
Old Aug 20, 2003, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

but Qantas posts it's first ever half-yearly loss due to SARS
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:05 pm

Programs: QF SG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF WP:
but Qantas posts it's first ever half-yearly loss due to SARS </font>
Looking through the figures it is interesting to see that whilst the international operations lost $54.5m, domestic revenue also fell by what I deem to be a massive 34.5%. Is Vermin having a major impact?

Also interesting to note the effect favourable foreign exchange movements had on profitability. At over $100m, this accounts for nearly a third of the profit figure!!

May be someone suitably qualified from the finance industry (or OzStamps) can give us their opinion.

(edited to fix dodgy typing)

[This message has been edited by martynriddle (edited 08-20-2003).]
Old Aug 21, 2003, 2:03 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by martynriddle:

Also interesting to note the effect favourable foreign exchange movements had on profitability. At over $100m, this accounts for nearly a third of the profit figure!!
</font>
Gain from foreign exchange was $107m on a net profit before tax of $502m.

Generally this will have been from the gains the $AUD has made over the past year against $USD and generally most other currencies.

Most aviation costs (fuel & aircraft being the major two) are fixed relative to the $USD.

QF have suffered in the past with the devaluation of the $AUD.

The fuel cost paragraph makes interesting reading - it must almost be like gambling with the variables of exchange rates, the oil price & hedging to try and smooth the two -

"Fuel costs decreased by 1.9 per cent, or $29.6 million. The underlying fuel price was 15.8 per cent greater than last year, increasing costs by $209.2 million. However, hedging benefits were $107.6 million better than the previous year. While flying hours increased, fuel efficiency gains from new fleet acquisitions reduced litres consumed per hour, resulting in an overall activity saving of $5.3 million versus the prior year. Favourable foreign exchange rate movements also reduced fuel costs by $125.9 million."
Old Aug 21, 2003, 10:01 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
New low cost domestic airline operated by qantas?

http://finance.news.com.au/common/st...55E462,00.html
Old Aug 21, 2003, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I know BA hasn;t been subscribing to QF's equity-raising efforts but I didn't know BA's share in QF has dropped to 17%.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Qantas Impulse Airlines...here we come??
Old Aug 21, 2003, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

The owner of the labour hire company at the centre of the dispute between Qantas and unions at Melbourne Airport has rejected claims that she provided the airline with low-paid non-union strike-breakers.

Old Aug 21, 2003, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
I know BA hasn't been subscribing to QF's equity-raising efforts but I didn't know BA's share in QF has dropped to 17%.</font>
When there is additional shares issued (eg. share top up schemes, dividend reinvestment plans, preferred or other quasi-equity notes or options) there is always a dilution of the holding as a % of issued capital if the holder (BA in this example) does not take up its quotient.

BA would be happy with their investment yesterday, as the price went up 20c to $3.30.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 5:57 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Seems like Qantas is getting plenty of love from the SMH at the moment, as evidenced at:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...529336087.html

Just glad I haven't stumbled across any of these incidents so far in my travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.