Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas keeps it head low in the news lately

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas keeps it head low in the news lately

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2004, 12:13 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
$55 fee for paper tickets

Sorry a bit slow on this one.

www.nzoom.com

Consumer groups described as outrageous a Qantas decision to slap a surcharge on paper airline tickets that would cost almost as much as some of its air fares.

The airline announced it would charge travel agents a $A55 fee if they requested paper tickets for domestic flights from July 1.

Old Apr 14, 2004, 3:32 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html

interesting changes!!! knew it had to happen one day
Old Apr 14, 2004, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by d00t
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html

interesting changes!!! knew it had to happen one day
I still demand that there always be someone up the pointy end to feed the dog.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:47 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I still demand that there always be someone up the pointy end to feed the dog.
Geez - if there is no longer a use for that space up front for the crew, maybe it can be put to another use. Goldflyer, take note!
Old Apr 14, 2004, 6:01 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
I rather agree og. For those that are a little shy, such news should be greeted with shouts from on high. More room to swing those arms and arrange that drawstring pj bag across the waist before lurching forth in your best model swagger down the business class aisle. In fact what a sanctuary for those in the know here on the QF Forum that the place up front is basically ours to enjoy. Now lets just keep it our secret.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, GoldFlyer, you wouldn't be shy of the dog, would you? I think that's a great solution. But the dog must still be there, to prevent any human touching the controls.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 10:11 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Size Does Matter

VIRGIN Blue says size does matter, especially when it comes down to a difference of 7.5cm and a plane seat.

I am not sure they have their figures correct, and they have not mentioned the extra cabin width of the A320 vs 737, but hey, lets not let facts get in the way of a media story. but I do know that 29 is less than 30, which is less than 31 and 32 in anyones language. Lets hope those JetStar slimeline seats are very slim indeed.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 10:15 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Qantas and EADS to supply RAAF tankers

QANTAS had teamed with European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS) to become the preferred tenderer on a $2 billion aircraft contract, Defence Minister Robert Hill announced today.

This has been a long time in the making and a lot of competition between Airbus and Boeing (with their KC767 tanker). The US has ordered 100 of the Boeing KC767's, but Australia has opted for the A330 variant.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 11:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Frustrations over new airspace system

www.nzoom.com

Referring to Virgin Blue incident last month in Queensland.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NM
VIRGIN Blue says size does matter, especially when it comes down to a difference of 7.5cm and a plane seat.

I am not sure they have their figures correct, and they have not mentioned the extra cabin width of the A320 vs 737, but hey, lets not let facts get in the way of a media story. but I do know that 29 is less than 30, which is less than 31 and 32 in anyones language. Lets hope those JetStar slimeline seats are very slim indeed.
Looks pretty likely that there's been some manipulation going on. 72.5 cm = 28.3 inches, 80 cm = 31.2 inches. 28.3 inches is like Euro charter configuration - not sure that JetStar is going to be that tight.

Do people really notice an inch of extra width in the seat? It was a surprise to me when I found out about the A320 family, after having sat in them on a number of occasions. I think that DJ is probably right in the sense that 2 inches less face room/knee room (which is what's actually important for comfort, not "leg room") is much more immediately noticeable. But then JetStar just sounds horrible all round.

Incidentally, when is someone going to pass a law which will require the media to distinguish between pitch and "the room between seats"?
Old Apr 17, 2004, 5:42 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Reported elsewhere, but more on QF SYD-HKG-LHR via the SMH of 17 April 2004:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...140097268.html

"Under the new agreement, Qantas has the potential to offer four Hong Kong-London flights immediately, increasing to seven flights a week in 2006," chief executive Geoff Dixon said.

GD may well say "Potential" to do extra flights immediately, but wasn't that the spin with DFW flights, ORD flights, and the skybed two years ago?

Last edited by og; Apr 17, 2004 at 5:46 pm Reason: adding the quote and comment
Old Apr 18, 2004, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Post From the papers 17-19 April

Just months out from a float, shareholders of WA regional airline Skywest have been left in the dark by a surprise takeover approach from the Singapore-based investor who ended former Victorian Premier Jeff Kennett's experiment with talkback radio...

An arbitrator has ruled that American Airlines must pay the union that represents its pilots $23.2 million after the airline violated contract terms through improperly using a subcontractor...
Old Apr 22, 2004, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Post From the papers 23 April

Virgin Blue shares have struck turbulence, struggling to remain above their issue price amid fears of rising competition as analysts concede their initial estimates for the budget carrier's earnings were too optimistic...

Boeing said Thursday it expects earnings per share for the first quarter to "significantly exceed current analyst average estimates as a result of good performance across its core businesses."...
Old Apr 26, 2004, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Post From the papers 27 April

Boeing is to introduce its new roomier 7E7 Dreamliner with an order from All Nippon Airways...

Last edited by QF WP; Apr 26, 2004 at 7:44 pm Reason: Adding the paper icon to the title....nothing sinister
Old Apr 27, 2004, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Post From the papers 28 April

Virgin Blue has held talks with Asian carriers including Malaysia's AirAsia, Singapore-based Valuair and Thai Airways International to set up a discount air service...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.