Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas keeps it head low in the news lately

Qantas keeps it head low in the news lately

Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:09 am

Programs: QF WP/LTS
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
One NEWS report I saw TEN at 5 said it was the plane that took the Pope home but obviously not
This link shows the plane to take the Pope home was called "Longreach"
http://media.watoday.com.au/?rid=39809

The accident photos are also called "Longreach"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7524733.stm

So it would seem to be the same plane (or does Qantas have multiple planes with the same name??)
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by asiaflyer
This link shows the plane to take the Pope home was called "Longreach"
http://media.watoday.com.au/?rid=39809

The accident photos are also called "Longreach"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7524733.stm

So it would seem to be the same plane (or does Qantas have multiple planes with the same name??)
ALL QF 744's are fitted with the Longreach name - it is the class name for the 744 in Qantas service (much the same as all A320's with Ansett were known as Skystar's).

Dave
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:14 am

A lot of that airline's B747-400s are called Longreach.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:30 am

Programs: QF WP/LTS
Originally Posted by thadocta
ALL QF 744's are fitted with the Longreach name - it is the class name for the 744 in Qantas service (much the same as all A320's with Ansett were known as Skystar's).

Dave
Well that's my learning for today. Gee what a boring system.

Perhaps in these tough times they could start trying to generate revenue from the naming - perhaps in support of inflight duty free sales they could start names like "Winfield Red", "Marlboro"...
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:43 am

Longreach is the town where Qantas began its early years. All 747 bear this title

At the front of each aircraft there is a city which is individual. Such as 'City of xxxxxxx"
Old Jul 25, 2008, 4:54 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
[mod hat]

Yes we all want to report the QF30 incident - however there's a separate thread - please follow it there:

QF30 emergency landing MNL

Any posts in this thread regarding the above will be deleted.

Thanks

[/mod hat]
Old Jul 27, 2008, 3:49 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...g/1227922.aspx

QF Dash 8 landing gear "not working"
Old Jul 28, 2008, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
More TT competition for Qantas - Fancy MEL-AKL on DJ?

VIRGIN BLUE CELEBRATES NEW MELBOURNE-AUCKLAND ROUTE WITH $199* FARE
Monday 28 July 2008: Virgin Blue Airlines today announced it will commence flying between Melbourne and Auckland with daily return services starting from 22 September, 2008.*

The new trans-Tasman flights will be operated by Virgin Blue’s international subsidiary Pacific Blue using 180-seat, Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

Seats on the new trans-Tasman service go on sale from 11.00am (AEST) today with special one-way launch fares of NZ$179* from Auckland to Melbourne and AU$199* from Melbourne to Auckland (including taxes, fees and charges).

The launch fares for travel between 22 September and 13 December, 2008 are on sale until midnight 31 July or until sold out, and are available via the airline’s web site (www.virginblue.com.au). ...
The MEL-AKL-MEL launch fare is AUD364, AKL-MEL-AKL is NZD400 ...
Old Aug 7, 2008, 1:52 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Qantas Announces A380 Delivery Date

Qantas announced today that it would take delivery of its first A380 aircraft on 19 September 2008.

The Executive General Manager of Qantas, Mr John Borghetti, said the airline would welcome its first A380 aircraft into the Qantas fleet at a ceremony at Airbus' Toulouse factory and fly it via Singapore to Sydney, where it will land on Sunday morning, 21 September.

Mr Borghetti reconfirmed that Qantas would operate its first A380 commercial passenger service from Melbourne to Los Angeles on 20 October 2008, and its first Sydney-Los Angeles service on 24 October.

"This is the first of 20 A380s to join the Qantas fleet, with a total of three being delivered by the end of 2008," he said.

"We will be progressively introducing A380 services from Sydney to London via Singapore from early 2009."

Mr Borghetti said the Qantas A380 would offer the airline’s customers the best cabin design in the sky.

"Our Creative Director, world-renowned industrial designer Marc Newson, has overseen the design and development of all four classes on board - First, Business, Premium Economy and Economy - and all cabins will provide new levels of comfort, innovation, and style," Mr Borghetti said.

"The A380 is an exciting addition to the Qantas fleet, and our customers and staff are all eagerly awaiting its arrival."
Old Aug 7, 2008, 2:14 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by thadocta
ALL QF 744's are fitted with the Longreach name
Many BA aircrcaft have the same name "Chatham Historic Dockyard"; I'm sure I've seen it on various 747, 757 and Airbus types. Someone once explained the significance but I forget what it was; something to do with the design of the flag on the BA livery I think.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 2:40 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by James S
Many BA aircrcaft have the same name "Chatham Historic Dockyard"; I'm sure I've seen it on various 747, 757 and Airbus types. Someone once explained the significance but I forget what it was; something to do with the design of the flag on the BA livery I think.
Yeah they all have it, and many people confuse it for the aircraft name just like Longreach. It's the name of the Union Jack tailfin design - during the Utopia paint scheme which featured various international artworks it was just for Concorde, it was subsequently standardised across the fleet. I've always felt that it does look very smart.

Pretty sure you knew that James S, so just adding for the sake of the thread really...
Old Aug 11, 2008, 6:44 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Qantas hosties suspended for hotel high jinks in New Zealand

QANTAS has suspended two New Zealand cabin crew after a drunken night during which a female flight attendant set off a fire alarm and caused the evacuation of a five-star hotel in Queenstown.

Many of about 200 guests at the Crowne Plaza hotel were dragged from their beds and sent into the street and two fire engines rushed to the hotel after a fire-alarm access point was smashed on July 31.

The false alarm cost the flight attendant $1500 to cover damages and the cost of the call-out.

Crowne Plaza boss Brett Wilson told New Zealand publication Mountain Scene: "Someone smashed one of the alarm call points after a big night out. We know exactly who it was and the guest has been charged $1500 for the call-out fee and to fix the call point.

"It was a fairly big stuff-up by the guest and when she was asked why she did it, she said she had no idea and she was upset and disappointed with herself. She left next day."

Mr Wilson said the matter had been dealt with by a senior colleague and the company had taken a dim view of the incident.

He said the other guests had been far from happy with the evacuation.

"We were about 75 per cent full, so that's about 200 people, and we aim to get everyone out in about three minutes," Mr Wilson said. "(The guests) were very disgruntled."

Qantas said yesterday it was still investigating two crew members involved in incidents in Queenstown.

A spokeswoman said flight QF2783 from Queenstown to Christchurch on July 31 was delayed because of technical problems.

She said crew were accommodated at a nearby hotel and scheduled to fly out the following morning.

"Following an incident at the hotel, two cabin crew members were stood down pending an investigation," the spokeswoman said. "Replacement cabin crew subsequently operated the service."

The second flight attendant is believed to be a male staffer involved in a separate incident.
The Australian
So workflyer where have you been
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Post SkyTrax - Qantas wins the "Best First Class Lounge" Award 2008

QANTAS wins 2008 World's Best First Class Lounge Award

"This lounge in Sydney is the flagship for Qantas. Designed by Australian Marc Newson, the lounge concept for both product and staff service has been modelled around the finest quality you would expect to find in a 5-star hotel or restaurant, and the best part is that the concept is being so well delivered by Qantas" added Plaisted.

Last year's winner of the award, Thai Airways First Class lounge at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport, remains well placed in 2nd for 2008, ahead of Qatar Airways First Class Premium Terminal at Doha Airport (3rd), Lufthansa's exclusive First Class lounge in Frankfurt Airport (4th) and a consistent achiever in the World Airline Awards, Cathay Pacific Airways First Class lounge at Hong Kong International Airport in 5th place. ...
Code:
BEST FIRST CLASS LOUNGE : 2008

Rank Airline           Airport  2007

1   Qantas              SYD     12
 2   Thai Airways        BKK      1
 3   Qatar Airways       DOH      2
 4   Lufthansa           FRA      3
 5   Cathay Pacific      HKG      4
It a BIG jump from 12th, although I'm surprised either of the previous SYD lounges rated as high as even that.

Of course, where does that leave l'il bro MEL FLounge; surely it's better than the Wing.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 11, 2008 at 11:03 pm
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
SMH reports Qantas is rated 3rd overall in the World's Best Airline in the SkyTrax 2008 Airline of the Year awards (up from fifth in 2007). Plus best Economy catering.

Most interestingly, NZ won best transpac.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 4:58 am

Programs: Qantas, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
Originally Posted by BiziBB
... best Economy catering.
I suppose it's nice to know the meals are up to scratch, but I'm not sure how comforting this would be if the tail fell off...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.