Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

FF Silver not allowed in QC/Business Class check in??

Old Jan 20, 04, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF SG, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, HH Gold

Hi Guys,

A colleague of mine told me that when he was checking in today at 1pm for a SYD-BNE flight that the Qantas Club / Business Class check in isles had a scrolling sign stating "Qantas Club, Business Class and Platinum and Gold Frequent Flyer check-in only". It may have been worded slightly different however it definately, as he says, specifically said "Platinum and Gold" and not silver.

Is this a change??? I thought that was the only real advantage of PS over NB. I assume that there is a good and simple explanation for this. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

PP
Old Jan 20, 04, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have noticed these signs over some check in desks too. Given that the programme still states that PS members can use Business Calss/Qantas Club check in desks , I would doubt that there'd be a problem

Equally wrong I have seen is signs at LHR referring to check in in the 1st check in zone for QF Golds ( rather than platinum ... welll it's only been a year or 2 since things changed )

Dave
Old Jan 20, 04, 2:01 am

Programs: QF WP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Press Photog:
Hi Guys,

A colleague of mine told me that when he was checking in today at 1pm for a SYD-BNE flight that the Qantas Club / Business Class check in isles had a scrolling sign stating "Qantas Club, Business Class and Platinum and Gold Frequent Flyer check-in only". It may have been worded slightly different however it definately, as he says, specifically said "Platinum and Gold" and not silver.

Is this a change??? I thought that was the only real advantage of PS over NB. I assume that there is a good and simple explanation for this. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

PP
</font>
PS are entitled to Priority check-in (regardless of the class you are flying) Qantas Club/ Business Class counters

Could be one of three reasons -
1. They made a mistake when writing the text for the sign.
2. They want to discourage PS from the priority line.
3. They only have a certain amount of characters that fit on the dot matrix display programming lines and such though "stuff the PS, if they know their benefits they'll get them".
Old Jan 20, 04, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
Equally wrong I have seen is signs at LHR referring to check in in the 1st check in zone for QF Golds ( rather than platinum ... welll it's only been a year or 2 since things changed )</font>
And BA's online check-in drop down FF menu, which lists "Qantas Club White", "Qantas Club Blue", "Qantas Club Silver" and "Qantas Club Gold" (or still did as of last October). An easy elevation by one tier, at least for one flight.
Old Jan 20, 04, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikalee:
3. They only have a certain amount of characters that fit on the dot matrix display programming lines</font>
The explanation with the ring of truth about it.
Old Jan 20, 04, 7:01 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Globaliser:
The explanation with the ring of truth about it.</font>
How hard is it to change it to: "QC, J, WP, SG and PS check-in only"?

Dave
Old Jan 20, 04, 7:27 am

Programs: QF WP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thadocta:

Dave
</font>
or to "Anyone except PB status and below in Y!"
Old Jan 20, 04, 1:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikalee:
PS are entitled to Priority check-in (regardless of the class you are flying) Qantas Club/ Business Class counters

".
</font>
A friend of mine has just hit silver. He went to a domestic BUSINESS class checkin line in sydney airport and was told that he could not checkin there but must go to the QC line.
So the girl was wrong?

Old Jan 20, 04, 2:32 pm

Location: Home of the 2001 & 2004 Rugby Super 12 Champions - the Brumbies (Canberra, ACT) and Australia's best ski resort (Thredbo, NSW)
Programs: QF SG (LT PS, 54% LT SG), Priority Club Gold
The check-in at CBR mentions QF PS on the new priority check-in sign. Strange that it's not consistent. I like Dave's suggestion that they adopt the FlyerTalk abbreviations.

And to Chalkie: Guten Morgen, wie geht's? Sind Sie planen auf dem Ski fahren bei Thredbo dieser Winter? Wenn Sie sind, lassen Sie mich wissen und wir gehen, für einen Tag Ski zu fahren.
Old Jan 20, 04, 3:09 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thadocta:
</font>
And think of how much cheaper signage would be to just have QP above the doors...
Old Jan 20, 04, 4:06 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Gold, QF Silver (92.8% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond, SPG, PC. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Craigo....Wenn Chalkie plant Ski zu fahren zu gehen, der bessere Plan, zum mit mir außerdem zu gehen
Old Jan 20, 04, 4:31 pm

Location: Home of the 2001 & 2004 Rugby Super 12 Champions - the Brumbies (Canberra, ACT) and Australia's best ski resort (Thredbo, NSW)
Programs: QF SG (LT PS, 54% LT SG), Priority Club Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF WP:
Craigo....Wenn Chalkie plant Ski zu fahren zu gehen, der bessere Plan, zum mit mir außerdem zu gehen </font>
Wunderbar! Sie sind das meiste Willkommen, zum wir auf dem Schnee zu verbinden und stellen Sie bereit, sind nicht ein snowboarder .

I am planning to do part-time ski instructing at Thredbo so, if I'm successful in the induction training, I'll be spending a bit of time down there this winter.

Chalkie and I have been chatting in German on the ski.com.au forum and I discovered a benefit of that - one can swear without the auto-censor kicking in .
Old Jan 20, 04, 4:41 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">A friend of mine has just hit silver. He went to a domestic BUSINESS class checkin line in sydney airport and was told that he could not checkin there but must go to the QC line.
So the girl was wrong?
</font>
I don't think so (but I could be wrong). I think the separate Business check-in queues (where there is a separate QP queue) are similar to the new Business baggage labels (as opposed to the Priority labels) - they are only for those travelling Business.

I gather the problem arose that so many were able to access the QP/Business lines and get Priority labels that they wanted to give those in the front cabin some extra benefits.

The problem of course is that the literature is behind the times. I suspect the new PS and QP entitlements will change eventually to differentiate between airports which have combined QP/Business queues and those with separate ones. It could say, for instance, "Priority check-in (regardless of the class you are flying) Qantas Club counters, or Business Class counters where there are no Qantas Club counters."

As to which queues SGs and WPs can use, I have no idea since I am only QP PS. I would guess though that they can use any domestic check-in counter they want.
Old Jan 20, 04, 5:10 pm

Programs: DJ Silver, BA Silver, PC Gold, QF, SQ
Last time I checked in at Perth, they had a sign up saying the line was for Qantas Club, Business Class, Platinum, and One World Emerald. The queue was shorter at economy so I checked in there, and was told very politely that as a silver I was allowed to checkin at business.

I've also been confused by the scrolling signs at Sydney, but I've checked in there a few times without any problems (normally I use quickcheck though).
Old Jan 20, 04, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"I suspect the new PS and QP entitlements will change eventually to differentiate between airports which have combined QP/Business queues and those with separate ones. It could say, for instance, "Priority check-in (regardless of the class you are flying) Qantas Club counters, or Business Class counters where there are no Qantas Club counters."

I do not envisage this happening since business class check in is a general One World benefit for ruby, not a special Qantas PS benefit ( such as the additional 10Kg bag allowance )

Dave

Search this Thread