Community
Wiki Posts
Search

? improvements coming to QFF

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:13 pm

I wonder where Qantas Club sits with all of this QFF spin off. Will Life members slowly have their membership devalued?
I now look at my QP Life as an insurance policy that means I have the possibility of lounge access when having to fly JQ, which has become more and more of a reality with my organisation's BFOD policy.
I have managed to keep AA Plat thanks to overseas travel (both work and personal) through until Feb 2010 and that is my primary mileage earning point. Thanks also the better transfer rate from MR to SPG to AA, it has become even more attractive.
I have used QP membership very well for the 8 or so years I've had it. It has certainly saved me in the US when flights have gone pear shaped and AC AAngels have come to the rescue (before the candy steal).

Last edited by goback; Apr 21, 2008 at 7:23 pm Reason: Add info about AAngels
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
I think it is a given that they will sell? It is only to whom and when that remain unanswered
And at what price, what format the new program will take, what impact it will have on seats, the pricing of redemptions between the spun organisation and QF, whether it will include JQ and many many other factors. QF will only sell it if the total package contributes to the value to QF shareholders.

Spun programs are not the norm so assuming that because one set of people said it was a good idea does not mean it will happen.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by simongr
Are you able to cite an official source confirming this? The Board were certainly planning to sell the business to APA as well...
Post APA the board certainly considered it:
Old Apr 22, 2008, 3:29 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by simongr
Why stop flying QF? Do you have other options than to fly QF on your required routes? If you are fairly nonchalant about the QF FF program then why not consider another program and still fly QF?
Between Europe and AUS I have quite some choices.
Having (and earning) quite a significant amount on SCs on short BA trips I considered moving to BA. Lifetime Status is the reason I do not put all my money into LH/SQ/NZ
Old Apr 22, 2008, 3:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
So lets just lock in this lifetime status and then reconsider things...
For those who have lifetime elite status on Qantas, I hope that both the airline and the future management of the FFP decide that it is worth honoring current lifetime status after the sale -- and I hope that they decide to stick to such a decision.

Unfortunately, my expectations of the dynamics of a post-spin-off environment fall far short of meeting my hopes.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 3:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tyrolean
Between Europe and AUS I have quite some choices.
Having (and earning) quite a significant amount on SCs on short BA trips I considered moving to BA. Lifetime Status is the reason I do not put all my money into LH/SQ/NZ
Unless doing a lot of US-LHR/LHR-US trips, some may want to consider AA lifetime status. And even if doing a lot of those trips, it is my expectation that if some mergers of US airlines are allowed to go ahead, then sooner than later the restriction on earning AA miles for BA flights between the US and Heathrow will be set aside eventually.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another newspaper article by Simon Cready of the Australian Qantas fix frequent-flyer complaints

QANTAS Loyalty boss Simon Hickey is well aware that the airline's 5 million frequent flyers are a vocal bunch when it comes to expressing their displeasure.

He has seen the complaints about not being able to redeem points, the lack of seats on key routes at popular times and the difficulty in getting upgrades.
<snip>
Other changes will include the ability to pay for taxes and charges using frequent flyer points, as well as to more easily use a mix of cash and points to pay for flights. Qantas estimates that taxes and charges on a Sydney-London return trip of roughly $700 will add about 70,000 points to the 128,000-point cost. The result, says Hickey, is a win for frequent flyers looking to convert what he calls their "invested value" in their points balance.
<snip>
Qantas is not planning to spin off its entire frequent-flyer program and is believed to be looking at an initial public offering of about 40 per cent of the business later this year. But work has been under way for some time on separating the business so it operates as an independent segment, with its own balance sheet.

Strategy planning began in May last year, after Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon appointed Hickey at the helm of the new business. In October, it moved into its own headquarters in Sydney's CBD.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:10 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Unfortunately, my expectations of the dynamics of a post-spin-off environment fall far short of meeting my hopes.
Nicely worded but I hope you are wrong.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 2:05 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Maybe follows NZ airpoints?

As a member of QFF and NZ Airpoints, I know NZ airpoints restructuring a few years ago has been closely followed by Qantas and others.

This would mean:

Points are converted into actual $ which can be used to buy flights, upgrades and the like.

$ are earnt according to fares paid not distance, so expensive domestic business class can earn more than some cheap long haul economy class.

Means it is easier to spend FF points, but earning is harder for those on cheap tickets (but easier for those in F and C).
Old Apr 25, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by libertyuk
As a member of QFF and NZ Airpoints, I know NZ airpoints restructuring a few years ago has been closely followed by Qantas and others.

This would mean:

Points are converted into actual $ which can be used to buy flights, upgrades and the like.

$ are earnt according to fares paid not distance, so expensive domestic business class can earn more than some cheap long haul economy class.

Means it is easier to spend FF points, but earning is harder for those on cheap tickets (but easier for those in F and C).
QF use the minimum 1000 points as their main teaser to fly short haul domestically so going to points for $ like DJ is not going to work for them.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Nicely worded but I hope you are wrong.
Me too. I just hope a spin-off gets delayed and delayed and delayed .... so then we don't have to find out.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 4:39 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
QF use the minimum 1000 points as their main teaser to fly short haul domestically so going to points for $ like DJ is not going to work for them.
Why not? Points are so easy to earn nowadays. Making points more readily available and making redemption PRECEIVABLY easier balances each other out.

Earning a minimum of 1000 points a flight means very little if you need 1m points to redeem a flight.

QF will spin it faster than Warney by saying you can now redeem flights a lot easier, without telling you how many more points you will need.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by Leumas
QF will spin it faster than Warney by saying you can now redeem flights a lot easier, without telling you how many more points you will need.
And that is why these forums exist I don't think QF will be able to hide the true cost of any adverse changes (if any) from this group
Old Apr 29, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: QF WP, QF Lifetime Gold, SQ/*G, Velocity Rewards, IHG Rewards, Hilton Honours, Accor Le Club
*A alternatives

As the majority of my points are from Amex & Diners, I think it maybe time to consider an alternate *A program.

Any suggestions?

I would want no annual fee, ability to have an Australian address and not a dollar/point earner (eg. AirNZ). I'm not worried about status; just the abilty to spend Amex/Diners points and as I anticipate being able to make 1 rtw trip each year from next year I would like the ability to earn points if a *A rtw happens to be attractive than a OW rtw at the time.

The less said about my previous *A experience (650,000 AN points down the gurgler) the better
Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:58 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by LifeTimeBronze
650,000 AN points down the gurgler
Surely this mean that you're still an unsecured creditor of AN, waiting patiently for your payout (0.00000001 cents to the dollar?), just like me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.