SYD - WALK TO WOLLI CREEK STATION

Old Dec 2, 2003, 4:02 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Back on topic??...what's a topic (is that like an AXA??)

QF exLurker, welcome to the decidedly off-topic forum, QF..a bit like a wandering mind in a classroom, where every now and again we get jerked back to (on-topic) reality
Old Dec 2, 2003, 4:51 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF ExLurker:

Getting back to the point, which I remind you all is human-powered travel to SYD and other airports, in the Netherlands you can lose your car licence for failing a breath test while driving a bicycle, which are considered to be normal vehicles.
</font>
NSW cyclists are still subject to the same road rules and responsibilities as car drivers (and expect car drivers to be aware of that and treat them as normal traffic too). It IS possible to get busted for a traffic offence (and yes, I do usually stop for the red lights!).

(edited for typo - and I'll stop being serious now)

[This message has been edited by og (edited Dec 02, 2003).]
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA, QF, SQ
Cycle parking at Sydney airport

Originally Posted by og
Maybe not, but I'm sure it's a lot cheaper than parking a car! Then again, I wonder if anyone has ever tried to park their bike there?
My husband and I rode our bikes to the airport on the spur of the moment on Saturday, mostly to check out the duty free shops (as we'll be travelling soon) and because it was New Year's Day and it was likely to be the only place open!

We took the Cooks River cycleway route starting from Hurlstone Park and crossing over into Tempe. After crossing into the airport and looping down and around into the International terminal turnoff, the path just..... ended.

We found ourselves at the car park entrance/exit and 5 lanes of traffic. We hauled our bikes across and over the kerb into the carpark and tried to find a place to park our bikes. Nope... nope... cars only... maybe we should hook up to a luggage cart rack, or is that a security risk? We finally spotted a carpark employee on a bicycle and asked him where to go. He sent us to what appeared to be a staff bicycle area. Not super-secure, but ok.

For those who want to try it out, go to the South terminal arrivals area, follow around to the left past the McDonald's and the covered area leading to the train station, and just beyond that there's like a glass pyramid thing and just near there by a roller door you'll find the bike racks.

We wandered around the shops, had lunch and went up to the observation deck to watch the world go by. A fun way to spend the afternoon.

On the way back, we discovered someone had chalked in an arrow to International Airport just before the path ends, that takes you underneath the highway, which is dirt, and over to just past the carpark entrance where you only have to cross one lane of traffic, not five. We'll bear that in mind for next time.

All up, it took about an hour to cycle each way which is quicker and cheaper than public transport. Given how long I've waited for taxis sometimes (as we're only a $15 fare away) it could even be quicker than a taxi.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:09 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good info msfi. Mrs og and I will be going to CHC at Easter time and I'm really tempted to do it by bike. No worries about the ride to T1 and can cope with the riding in NZ, but the logistics of a bike box and the packing / unpacking seems a daunting task. I'll need to do some research to see if there are bike boxes at QF T1 (can anyone help?). If this all works, we (I) really want to do an extended ride in Canada on long service leave in 2006 (a significant age for me .
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:49 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by og
Good info msfi. Mrs og and I will be going to CHC at Easter time and I'm really tempted to do it by bike.
I'd much prefer to fly, myself
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:21 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dannyr
I'd much prefer to fly, myself
Thankyou Mr/Ms Smartypants (AKA dannyr) . Perhaps I failed to adequately explain how I would ride the bike once it was in a box. But then, maybe airlines would prefer SLF to be pre-packed in boxes so they could be stacked on pallets instead of crammed into seats with ever decreasing leg room.. but I digress.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:24 pm

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
Originally Posted by og
Good info msfi....but the logistics of a bike box and the packing / unpacking seems a daunting task.
Don't make my mistake, I checked my bag in, then the bike and found myself holding my carry on and a four inch long adjustable shifter, which I used to take the bike apart. Well, apparently it was classed as a weapon and they wouldn't let me take it in my carry on. Luckily they stored it for me but I had to get a new one at my destination.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:42 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeyAussie
Don't make my mistake, I checked my bag in, then the bike and found myself holding my carry on and a four inch long adjustable shifter, which I used to take the bike apart. Well, apparently it was classed as a weapon ....
Just think of the things that you could do with that! Undo the cockpit door - bolt by bolt, break into the customs bonded cart after duty free has closed, break apart an economy class bread roll, - the list is endless! Really, how pathetic.

Once we took a Christmas present in our carry-on bag. Unknown to me, Mrs og decided that her sister should receive a biscuit making machine. Unfortunately this looked like a flare gun when X-Rayed. It took quite a bit of explaining until a security officer who made biscuits turned up to see what all the commotion was about.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:38 pm

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
Originally Posted by og
..... break apart an economy class bread roll
It was only about a 4" long model, probably not big enough

Mrs HeyAussie once lost half of a crown of a tooth in a QF mintie (Qantaslink) on the way to BME. It was actually only a couple of days before she became Mrs. Imagine the lawsuit if it had been a US carrier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.