FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   What is JetConnect and does it have J class?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/80816-what-jetconnect-does-have-j-class.html)

Wx4caster Jul 16, 2003 7:04 pm

What is JetConnect and does it have J class??

sorry for the mundane question, but searching for "connect" and "qantaslink" didn't reveal anything useful. My side trip, MEL-WLG-MEL has apparently switched from regular QF service on a 737-400 to "Qantaslink operated by jetconnect" on a 737-300. When checking my itinerary online, it no longer specifically says "business class". Furthermore, the fleet page on the website seems to indicate that 737-300s have only coach cabin, and www.checkmytrip.com seems to think I'm in coach. I called QF, and the agent says I'm still in business.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Much thanks!

og Jul 16, 2003 7:51 pm

I'm sure QF people can give you the corporate line, but from where I sit, JetConnect is QF based in NZ and a cleaver way for QF to get around the high operating costs associated with basing their aircraft and crew in Oz. Planes have a NZ rego painted on them but were sourced from QF or AN. They are the old 733s but may have new seats? If they are the old seats, then the J seats are awful - soft and saggy. Not worth the money unless you can stuff pillows in your back.

From my one flight WLG-AKL the crew were pleasant and professional. Hope the ride into WLG is fun - it's meant to be a bit of a roller-coaster if its windy - which is most of the time. Check out the length of the runway and what awaits one who fails to stop at the end!

Jetkid Jul 17, 2003 3:33 pm

Hi,

Yes all the JetConnect aircraft have J class, the ex AN aircraft (ZK-CZ*) have the old style seats, not very comfortable. ZK-JNF has the new seats, but ZK-JNE does not.

Jetkid

QF WP Jul 17, 2003 9:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by og:
a cleaver way </font>
Luvely accent you hve thar, og

I'll be doing a couple of JetConnect flights before the end of the year (going to hope between AKL, CHC and WLG) - perhaps a perfect time to do a Trip Report.

Excellent post JetKid.

og Jul 18, 2003 3:09 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF WP:
Luvely accent you hve thar, og

I'll be doing a couple of JetConnect flights before the end of the year (going to hope between AKL, CHC and WLG) - perhaps a perfect time to do a Trip Report.
</font>
Geeeez, I thought my spelling was bad (there should be a spell check here too...) - I do hope you do manage to hop from AKL-WLG-CHC - is that hop as in "QF the flying rat" or just hope.......

QF WP Jul 18, 2003 3:23 am

JetConnect, as reported in Market Wrap (P32), AFR Friday 18 July:

"The game is moving on now tht Qantas is ramping up it's own low cost...Jet Connect"

Wx4caster Jul 18, 2003 1:20 pm

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just have to hope for the best. These flights are part of my trip to MEL as a first class Continental OnePass reward. Back when I booked these tickets in January, I wish I had known enough about New Zealand to haved picked Christchurch instead. Of course, I also wish I also wish I had known about something called the WORLD RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIP going on at the same time! Trying to find a room in Sydney (for under $500) was impossible until the Intercontinental opened up some availability on Tuesday with a more reasonable $200 rate.
Anyhow, I was concerned when I saw this JetConnect thing as I've read of several cases on this board where QF change aircraft or configurations, and award ticket holders were reticketed in coach. As bad as the airline industry is here in the US, I can't imagine an airline NOT rebooking a first class award in first, unless there are no seats. At the very least, they would book you in first on the next flight.

Wishing I could find some U availability open up for CHC..

shillard Jul 18, 2003 7:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Wx4caster:
sorry for the mundane question, but searching for "connect" and "qantaslink" didn't reveal anything useful. My side trip, MEL-WLG-MEL has apparently switched from regular QF service on a 737-400 to "Qantaslink operated by jetconnect" on a 737-300. When checking my itinerary online, it no longer specifically says "business class". Furthermore, the fleet page on the website seems to indicate that 737-300s have only coach cabin, and www.checkmytrip.com seems to think I'm in coach. I called QF, and the agent says I'm still in business.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Much thanks!
</font>
NZ Domestic operated by 'Jet connect' for QF appears to be going all-Y. I'm taking the bride to NZ in January, and tried to book J right through to rack up some much-needed SCs, no probs with J SYD-AKL and AKL-SYD, but AKL-CHC-AKL is all-Y.

Haven't been to NZ for around 6 months now, and when last there J was an option on all the main services. Friendly cabin crew, particularly the fellow 'travelling man' I'd often see between AKL and WLG.....

Jetkid Jul 20, 2003 4:37 am

Traveled QF 'JetConnect' in J Sat morning on ZK=JNG (not mentioned in first post), it has the standard QF mainline config with 8 J seats (but no divider). Seats are okay, crew were good, 6 of the 8 J seats had passengers in them, pretty good for a Saturday morning.
Jetkid.

QF WP Jul 30, 2003 7:02 pm

and now Air NZ turns up the heat on QF's Jet Connect

manfromoz Aug 8, 2003 4:40 am

I am flying QF47 SYD-WLG on 03 Sep and back on QF118 on 8 Sep in Y. Both flights are operated by JetConnect and both are 733's at this stage.

I have a some questions regarding upgrading to J.

Is it worth 8,000 miles? I am AA PLT and so check in and lounge access is not an issue. Are the seats the same seats as Y seats or are they proper biz class ones? Does anyone have any recent experiences of this route in J?

Secondly is the upgrade likely to happen. There are currently 5J U0 on the outbound leg. Will more U seats be released is the J's dont sell?

The return has U2 so I should be able to grab those if I decide to.

Thanks for any help
Ben

Leumas Aug 8, 2003 6:36 am

I'm not entirely convinced it's worth the 8K.

There're only 2 rows of 2x2.

The seats are better than Y, but it's the old business seats. You do get better service and a 3-course meal. IFE comes in the form of personal video players.

I was in the first row of Y on QF47 a few months ago, so I was able to observe what's going on up there. BTW, my flight was 100% full, even in J. Although I said I don't think it's worth it, I did find it hard in Y, but that was probably because I just got off a 24hr flight from LHR in J. I'd imagine I'd still find it hard if I was in J.

manfromoz Aug 8, 2003 7:12 am

Does anyone know if there are pictures or info on the 'old' seat anywhere? The QF website only has the new ones.

Leumas Aug 8, 2003 7:52 am

It looks something like this.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/116821/M/

Globaliser Oct 15, 2003 10:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by manfromoz:
I am flying QF47 SYD-WLG on 03 Sep and back on QF118 on 8 Sep in Y. Both flights are operated by JetConnect and both are 733's at this stage.

I have a some questions regarding upgrading to J.
</font>
I have just tried to go on the upgrade waitlist for an WLG-SYD ops JetConnect and been told that I can't, because it's not operated by pure QF.

I'm going to e-mail the Australia office for a (hopefully) more definitive answer but does anyone here have any insight into whether I've been told right?