Search

upgrading an award flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2003, 7:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
upgrading an award flight

Is it possible to upgrade a flight award? I was unable to find any F inventory so wound up getting J LAX-SYD. It sounds from the QF plan terms that upgrades to award tickets are not allowed -- but it does not say so, just implies it. So my question is whether anyone has managed to use upgrade credits or miles to upgrade an award flight?
Old Aug 11, 2003, 7:51 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Can't do it, I am afraid. If F becomes available closer to the date, try and change your booking. Not likely though, any Z class which becomes available will go to those on the waitlist.

Dave
Old Aug 11, 2003, 9:29 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
or pray to the op-up Gods, number_6 that they put you in F - again highly unlikely, but you never know (after all, you are Plat!). What Dave said is very true, unfortunately.

Perhaps you'll get that first op up. Best of luck.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 12:57 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I would dobut it very much, but you never know. Sometimes the op up gods do smile. My mother is a QF Bronze and she was on an award ticket MEL-SIN-LHR-BKK-MEL and her partner was on a (cheap) paid Y fare. When they checked in at LHR to return to MEL the agent (BA I assume) offered my mum an upgrade to J for LHR-BKK. SHe said that was very nice of them but she wanted to stay with her partner, so they upgraded him too. LOL.

That's what you get for having zero status.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 4:26 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Thanks for the info, it was what I expected but I was hoping that the ambiguity in the QFF T&C's was there for a reason (apparently not). The problem with the trans-pacific flights is that there are dozens of QPs on board so it really is marginal status. As more than 2/3 of this trip is in J (returning AKL-LAX in 2 class) I am not unhappy with it, and being vacation I don't have to sleep on the plane for a change. I'll just consume QF's St. Henri supply (meager as it is).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.