I need help with Reds

Old Apr 11, 2003, 2:43 am

Programs: CX MPO Gold; QFClub
NM, the Cullen's should certainly meet with approval - just hope your friend can resist opening it on first sight! It'd be shameful to drink it now, that one will just get better for another 10 years...

But if he does open it, hope you get to enjoy some

Indeed, QF WPI've had the pleaseure of visiting Cullen's. DrD and I spent a very enjoyable week in Margaret River a couple of years ago (shamefully easy to get U class redemptions BNE-PER if you're willing to travel on Christmas night and return on New Year's Day!) While the Cullen's wines are doubtlessly top drawer, we actually found their cellar door extremely disappointing: nothing available for tasting, generally unhelpful. Now, perhaps we struck them at a bad moment, but it's tainted the brand for me.

Shouldn't deter anyone else from enjoying what is a very good drop, but for now I personally prefer to imbibe the offerings of the region's many other top estates (Leeuwin, Vasse Felix, Cape Mentelle, Evans & Tate etc. etc.), which were a complete joy to visit! That personal touch counts!
Old Apr 13, 2003, 10:53 pm
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
QF WP thanks for the carry box ... and the SMS this morning. Good to meet Mrs. QF WP as well. Collected a good scotch at BNS on the way out as well, but like the Cullen, it won't see the light of day in Australia again.

I might be a bit quiet for a few weeks as I expect to be kept busy in the US. Anyway,thanks again and I will report back on the recipient's verdict.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 1:33 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
QF WP thanks for the carry box ... and the SMS this morning. Good to meet Mrs. QF WP as well. </font>
Knew you'd make better use of it that I would putting it away somewhere...thought I should send you off this morning in a fiting and proper way. Likewise, great to meet Mrs NM and little NM's. Enjoy the trip (may it speed by) but look forward to the next one!!!!!!!!!

(Edited to correct quoting error)

[This message has been edited by QF WP (edited 04-14-2003).]
Old Apr 14, 2003, 1:38 am

Hey QF WP,
Isn't it about time we had another meeting in BNE?
I was in the QC BNE today for a meeting and as I sat drinking a cup of coffee, I realised it has been a couple of months.
Even if it is just the BNE chapter I am sure we can muster a couple of people.
Cheers
Iain

------------------
Better living through chemistry.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 6:28 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Count me in, just give enough notice (so I can get permission from the boss).
Old Apr 14, 2003, 9:18 pm
NM
Original Poster

It will need to be between 5th and 12th May! Unless of course you want to have it at the LAX, LAS, DFW, or MCO Admiral's Club lounge.

What's that you say, no entry to non flyers? And no free drinks? Hmm, better stick to early May in BNE then. Could double for my bon voyage. How about Thursday 8th May?
Old Apr 14, 2003, 9:43 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
I'll try for that date as well NM, but might be interstate - see if I can get back in time - assume will be late PM.

IainF and og, enough notice? We'll have to start a separate thread for this....
Old Apr 15, 2003, 12:53 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MrsDrD:
!PS. QF WP, cellaring some fine MR reds, hope they are well nurtured in BNE's rotten climate (for wine, that is). </font>

You need one of these:

http://www.kleenmaid.com.au/products.asp?pageID=1&cat=4

Old Apr 15, 2003, 1:21 am

Thanks Shillard - that'll be the perfect present for me (say 1-2 years time when Mrs QF WP and I move again into brand new house).

Think I'm going to follow MrsDrD into wine storage company, as my Chermside home we're moving into doesn't have any storage capacity, unlike my unit I'm selling (had underground storage). I know that if I leave with my parents, it might not survive until 30 April...they both love Red!!
Old Apr 15, 2003, 6:15 am
NM
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by shillard:

You need one of these:

http://www.kleenmaid.com.au/products.asp?pageID=1&cat=4
</font>
Hey, I don't know about storing 144 bottles of wine, but I reckon if you can get the temp down to about 3 degrees, it would make a wonderful beer fridge. Must be able to hold at least 200 stubbies .
Old Apr 15, 2003, 10:12 pm
NM
Original Poster

Hmm, speaking of 200 beers, here was tonight's haunt - The Flying Saucer in down town Fort Worth. Here is the beer list, including 70+ beers on tap and 215 beers on the list.

My selections tonight were Fat Tire (number 42), Anchor Steam (number 18), and Full Sail (number 70). A favourite of one collegue is Rogue Dead Guy (number 50), which at 6.6% alcohol is deadly for people trying to drive on the wrong side of the road.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 1:01 am

Programs: EK, VA, QF, AC etc
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
With great thanks and appreciation to all on this forum, and appologies for anyone who thinks this topic should not be posted here , I today purchased a Cullen (Margaret River) Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 2000 for the trip east. With on-the-spot approval from QD WP and srong recommendations from the experts at The Grape at Indooroopilly, I am confident it will meet with approval. Only cost $60, so don't anyone tell my US friend as he is expecting to pay me $70-$100 for it . I'll just tell him that US$50 should cover it!
</font>
**** fine drop! (Even if Ive got a problem with one eye)

The only problem is that it needs another 2-4 years before hitting it's straps :-)

Seriously, it'll be good drinking now.

And 'hello' to anyone in Indooroopilly or Toowong. Spent some time there a while back.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 1:12 am

Programs: EK, VA, QF, AC etc
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MrsDrD:
I've had the pleaseure of visiting Cullen's. ... While the Cullen's wines are doubtlessly top drawer, we actually found their cellar door extremely disappointing: nothing available for tasting, generally unhelpful. Now, perhaps we struck them at a bad moment, but it's tainted the brand for me.
</font>
Sorry to hear that. While a little while ago, the last two times I've visited Di and Vanya (respectively) were holding the fort and happy to talk with My main complaint was the lack of room.

If you're in .au (or similar) the winery has a mailing list which is well worth being on. There are often "experiemental" wines not widely available - eg a straight petit verdot.

For those not local Di Cullen, one of the original Margret river growers, has recently passed away.

See http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/p...081820,00.html
Old Apr 17, 2003, 11:04 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Hmm, speaking of 200 beers, here was tonight's haunt - The Flying Saucer in down town Fort Worth. Here is the beer list, including 70+ beers on tap and 215 beers on the list.
</font>
Sadly their large selection does not include the finest beer made in the US: North Coast Old Rasputin. Probably illegal in Texas (it is 9.2% alcohol). Made in Fort Bragg (California) in the imperial stout style, but richer, sweeter and almost like chocolate. Very thick. Wonderful beer, every bit as good as the Belgian triples. The LAX Four Points hotel serves it in their beer bar off the lobby (limit one per customer).
Old Apr 19, 2003, 12:46 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF WP:
Thanks Shillard - that'll be the perfect present for me (say 1-2 years time when Mrs QF WP and I move again into brand new house).!!</font>

Be sure to let me know when you do, I'll make sure whomever you buy it from knows I sent you. I can safely say that you'll be looked after. :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.