Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas Announces Non-Stop Services to Buenos Aires

Qantas Announces Non-Stop Services to Buenos Aires

Old Mar 13, 2008, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by willyroo
Dave most of us will look at an airline's website to find its price. Many (probably most here on FT) will then look elsewhere to see if that fare is cheaper.
Me too. I'm struggling to see the advantage of TA's for a simple return INT flight. If someone has an example of where significant savings can be made, I'd be very interested and grateful.

Last edited by deeruck; Mar 13, 2008 at 5:42 pm
Old Mar 13, 2008, 5:21 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by deeruck
Me too. I'm struggling to see the advantage of TA's for a simple return INT flight. If someone has an example of where significant savings can be made, I'd be very interest and grateful.
Aside from my rant above about a certain TA, I'd prefer to go with an airline for a booking simply because you can be reasonably certain that you won't have the fare loaded with a booking fee and you can usually make changes without negotiating a change fee. Likewise you usually won't be slugged with a cc fee as well.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 6:09 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
International tickets with TAs

YMMV

Last year I booked at SIN-LHR-Canada trip with BA Singapore in WT+
Alas not early enough to get the T class fares.....

But my Perth TA was able to pick up the reservation. And because of the the increasing value of the AU$, was able to help me avoid the currency exchange charges as well as save a bit on the base fare. And she was apparently quite happy to pick up a premium fare ticket.

From there it got even more interesting. The AA fares I needed in the US/Canada were checked on aa.com. The TA checked booking the flights through BA (in conjunction with the long haul). A set of fares that were actually a fair bit less expensive . Yes I lost the 1000 miles or so I would have got for booking the 6 segments on the website.... And yes the sticker upgrades worked on ALL the segments, including the one at the airport after thunderstorm disruptions at DFW.

Will it work for all scenarios?..... read the first line again

Oh yes EZE. You might want to check the cost of SIN-SYD-SCL and SIN-SYD-EZE - assuming you can talk with a TA. The savings might be substantial if the fare class seats are available.......

Given that SIN-PER-SIN is roughly the same price as PER-SYD-PER it would be a non-decision for me.....

Happily wandering

Fred
Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:33 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(deleted - duplicate)
Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:35 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
You might want to check the cost of SIN-SYD-SCL and SIN-SYD-EZE - assuming you can talk with a TA. The savings might be substantial if the fare class seats are available.......

Given that SIN-PER-SIN is roughly the same price as PER-SYD-PER it would be a non-decision for me.....
So long as you don't mind travelling round 2 sides of a triangle...(if I got your routing correct).
Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:37 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Courtesy of QF email:

Direct flights from Sydney to Buenos Aires commence on 24 November 2008, flights between 1 November and 23 November 2008 are via Santiago.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

That's strange it says via Santiago since Buenos Aires doesn't start until the 24th anyway.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:59 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by rtwdone4
Don't think CX is sending the 34D (2 Class with OLD products) to Aust.

I think you mean the new 33B with new J and Y Class.

Hopefully when CX gets more 77W they can rotate them to SYD as part of the NA schedule. There is still 1 flight a day from SYD to HKG that has the old F Class
Who said anything about CX 340-300 to Australia. I specifically noted HKG-AKL as the 2-class CX service. I specifically did not mention SYD as they is in a state of transition just now, and sometimes even getting regional config A330 aircraft like they sent to BNE.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
The joys of navigating on a round globe. This illustrates what OG is talking about.

If you are lucky you will get some nice views of Antarctica. But certainly some glimpses of Patagonia and the Argentine coast.
I'd expect eastbound flights to generally follow the jetstream which means it would rarely go below 60 degrees south. EZE-SYD flights would normally take a more polar westbound route, although it might be possible some days to go the east way around..
Old Mar 16, 2008, 3:49 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
lan bus class ex Argentina, half of ex syd

Itinerario
Ida Salida Llegada Vuelo Cabina Equipaje
Viernes 26 septiembre 2008 20:40 Buenos Aires (EZE) 21:55 Santiago de Chile (SCL) LA470
Ejecutiva-D 2P
22:45 Santiago de Chile (SCL) 07:05 (Domingo) Sydney (SYD) LA801
Ejecutiva-D 2P
Regreso
Jueves 16 octubre 2008 11:55 Sydney (SYD) 13:55 Santiago de Chile (SCL) LA800
Ejecutiva-D 2P
15:10 Santiago de Chile (SCL) 17:05 Buenos Aires (EZE) LA445
Ejecutiva-D 2P

Le informamos que al salir de Argentina deberá cancelar un impuesto de salida de 18 dólares. Las tasas y/o impuestos determinados por las autoridades locales sólo se pueden pagar en efectivo y están sujetas a cambio sin previo aviso.

Tarifa
Tarifa Tasas y/o impuestos Total (USD)
Pasajero adulto nş 1 4,738.00 325.81 5,063.81
Descuento 3% LAN.com -142.14 0.00 -142.14
Total 4,595.86 325.81 $ 4,921.67

Notas a la tarifa

Ver restricciones de esta tarifa
Old Mar 16, 2008, 6:41 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by og
Aside from my rant above about a certain TA, I'd prefer to go with an airline for a booking simply because you can be reasonably certain that you won't have the fare loaded with a booking fee and you can usually make changes without negotiating a change fee. Likewise you usually won't be slugged with a cc fee as well.
It all depends. If you book J or F then (good) TAs are almost always cheaper than the airline website. The big players in corporate travel have such a big buying power that they get cheaper fares and still come out cheaper even if they charge a booking fee.
If you use Amex as a TA, then there is no CC fee and no booking fee etc.

The QF $1899 offer SYD-EZE is not a bad deal IMHO.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:46 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by guybaxy
Itinerario
Ida Salida Llegada Vuelo Cabina Equipaje
Viernes 26 septiembre 2008 20:40 Buenos Aires (EZE) 21:55 Santiago de Chile (SCL) LA470
Ejecutiva-D 2P
22:45 Santiago de Chile (SCL) 07:05 (Domingo) Sydney (SYD) LA801
Ejecutiva-D 2P

$ 4,921.67
Similar good prices from GRU, or EZE-GRU(stopover)-xSCL-SYD
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by thadocta
...The airlines produce fares, which are then pushed out to travel agents/consolidators. The travel agents/consolidators are then told what they will have to pay for those tickets, which are generally substantially below what the face value of the ticket will say, the TA will then add their mark-up...Dave
(former travel consultant)
The days of consolidator (nett) fares are going... most airlines now-a-days are heading towards published airfares, with the commission source being set by the airline (anything from 0 to 9%). That's why booking/service fees are common in the travel industry.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:47 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by Chuukie
The days of consolidator (nett) fares are going... most airlines now-a-days are heading towards published airfares, with the commission source being set by the airline (anything from 0 to 9%). That's why booking/service fees are common in the travel industry.
OTOH I just picked one up ex HKG

Good fare class as well....

One of the first rules I encountered when I arrived in Oz 16 years ago.
Shop around and never blindly take the first price offerred,

YMMV

Fred
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by deeruck
Me too. I'm struggling to see the advantage of TA's for a simple return INT flight. If someone has an example of where significant savings can be made, I'd be very interested and grateful.
Waitlisting. Airline websites will generally not let you waitlist for a cheap fare if the booking class is unavailable. Just say I want to book SYD-SIN-NRT-SIN-SYD in D class, but one sector was not avail... If I try to book on the airline website it will just spit out a C or J fare, whereas if I go through an agent I can lock in the 3 avail D sectors and waitlist the 4th.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.