REx and Qantas

Old Feb 6, 03, 9:30 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci
REx and Qantas

Anyone have any info about how these two will tie together?

I know they are using T2 at YSSY, and have stipulated that they will feed into both Vermin and QF.

My problem is that I will have to fly from Sydney to Bathurst next week, and departing from T2 - which has a QF Club - being a lowly Gold, I will not be able to access the lounge.

With Vermin about to announce an FF program, is it about time that REx affiliated with both Vermin and Qantas?

If their flights carried a QF flight number, I would be able to get into the lounge.

(Since it leaves at about 0715, I want my caffiene fix).

Dave
Old Feb 6, 03, 9:49 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thadocta:

If their flights carried a QF flight number, I would be able to get into the lounge.

Dave
</font>
Docta, if they get all this tied up by then you would have to be ticketed on the QF codeshare operated by Lex to get into the lounge. If you are on the LEx flight number - no go I think.
Old Feb 6, 03, 1:03 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Dave, you could purchase a QF fully refundable fare for the same day - say SYD-NCL. This would get you lounge access in T2, then once in, use the couresy phone to cancel the flight for a full refund.

This might not be ethical, but would work. Also note that soon you might lose the 1% service fee for billing it to your credit card, as well as costing you the government charges for credit transactions, so it is not a no-cost option, but is a very low cost option, unless the refund takes as long as that for IainF.
Old Feb 6, 03, 10:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
Dave, you could purchase a QF fully refundable fare for the same day - say SYD-NCL. IainF.</font>
SYD-NCL is a bit drastic just to get into the lounge - it starts at $2000 or so.

Guess you meant SYD-NTL (the Newcastle in NSW, rather than UK)

Joking apart, its a neat idea.
Old Feb 6, 03, 10:14 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kangaroo route:
SYD-NCL is a bit drastic just to get into the lounge - it starts at $2000 or so.

Guess you meant SYD-NTL (the Newcastle in NSW, rather than UK)

Joking apart, its a neat idea.
</font>
Yep, you are right. I have NCL on my mind as I have booking to LHR-NCL in the system. Thanks for kindly (and respectfully ) pointing out the error of my ways.

Note to self: make sure my LHR-NCL booking is actually NCL and not NTL or I will be home faster than I wanted!
Old Feb 6, 03, 11:49 pm

Doc

Check your just me e-mail
Old Feb 7, 03, 12:15 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by meloz:
Doc

Check your just me e-mail
</font>
Have received it - you have obviously never used the lounge at T2 in Sydney.

Dave
Old Feb 7, 03, 6:50 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thadocta:

(Since it leaves at about 0715, I want my caffiene fix).
Dave
</font>
Can't help you there, Dave. I'm probably doing NTL-SYD-NTL on the day (three days next week), but my 717 doesn't land until 07:15.

FWIW, I doubt they will end up carrying QF flight numbers - most of the regionals that use the QF booking system & baggage handling - AeroDuck, Brindabella, etc - use their own flight numbers. They award QF points at the rate of 1 per mile (no 1,000 min), but don't award status credits.

*******s.

Old Feb 10, 03, 5:40 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Now that Qantas have installed or are installing check in kiosks inside the Qantas Club lounge in Sydney can they really check that you are checking in for one of their flights. Have a fake itineriary made up and then have an old boarding pass.
Only problem it is a bit of a long walk, about 10minutes, from Qantas Club in the Qantas terminal to Gate 39 at T2.
It would depend on how much time you got and how desperate you are for a coffee.

------------------
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Old Feb 10, 03, 3:22 pm

Programs: QF SG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by shillard:
Can't help you there, Dave. I'm probably doing NTL-SYD-NTL on the day (three days next week), but my 717 doesn't land until 07:15.
</font>
How long from door to door does it take to do SYD-NTL? Am thinking of coming up tomorrow night to watch the Waratahs spank the Crusaders and would have thought that all up it is just as quick to drive?
Old Feb 10, 03, 6:09 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by martynriddle:
How long from door to door does it take to do SYD-NTL? </font>
Depends on the time of day.

I always find it quicker to fly - and I drive FAST.

Going from the Sydney CBD to the airport is what, 15 minutes max? Arrive 20 minutes before departure (35 min), 40 minutes gate-to-gate (75 min), 20 minutes to Newcastle CBD (95 min).

CBD to CBD by road usually takes me 100-140 minutes, depending on the time of day. I average 12km/h faster than the posted limit, wherever possible, and up to 140km/h on the F3.

By train it's 2.5 hours, assuming no trackwork.

Quicker option is via AeroDuck to BEO, cuts about 5 minutes off the airport-Newc CBD run and 5 minutes off the gate-to-gate time, but no status credits and only 88 points.

Let me know if you need some accomodation recommendations.

Old Feb 10, 03, 6:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by martynriddle:
How long from door to door does it take to do SYD-NTL? </font>

I always find it quicker to fly - and I drive FAST. The only exception was a "cannonball run" style trip one morning where we got from Cooks Hill in Newcastle to Campbelltown in under 90 minutes.

No, that's not a typo.

Going from the Sydney CBD to the airport is what, 15 minutes max? Arrive 20 minutes before departure (35 min), 40 minutes gate-to-gate (75 min), 20 minutes to Newcastle CBD (95 min).

CBD to CBD by road usually takes me 100-140 minutes, depending on the time of day. I average 12km/h faster than the posted limit, wherever possible, and up to 140km/h on the F3.

By train it's 2.5 hours, assuming no trackwork.

Quicker option is via AeroDuck to BEO, cuts about 5 minutes off the airport-Newc CBD run and 5 minutes off the gate-to-gate time, but no status credits and only 88 points.

Old Feb 10, 03, 6:38 pm

Programs: QF SG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by shillard:

</font>
Doesnt look as though there are any flights for tomorrow at the right times so car/F3 it is. Hopefully I can do N Sydney to Newcastle in a couple of hours if I leave at 4.30pm (game starts at 7.30pm so gives me a little leeway).

Cheers for the offer of accomodation advice - will probably just head straight back home after the game.
Old Feb 10, 03, 8:57 pm

Doesnt look as though there are any flights for tomorrow at the right times so car/F3 it is. Hopefully I can do N Sydney to Newcastle in a couple of hours if I leave at 4.30pm (game starts at 7.30pm so gives me a little leeway).

Cheers for the offer of accomodation advice - will probably just head straight back home after the game.
</font>
QF2154 Departs SYD 16:55, overnight @ NTL, depart NTL 06:30 the next morning on QF1647.

Gets you to the field by 18:30, and you can be back in North SYD by 07:45 the next day.

Old Feb 10, 03, 11:55 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bundy Bear:
Now that Qantas have installed or are installing check in kiosks inside the Qantas Club lounge in Sydney can they really check that you are checking in for one of their flights.</font>
They do sometimes by swiping your card through a machine at the reception counter to check that you are flying that day. I had it done to me in MEL but only by one person and I went in a few times (must give up the fags)

------------------

Search this Thread
Search Engine: