"Married" Connection - Award Tix

Old Oct 11, 02, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
"Married" Connection - Award Tix

I need an understanding of the following:

I cannot book a free award seat from AYQ to CNS because res is saying not available. However I can book an award seat from AYQ to Darwin (get this) connecting through CNS.

So what happens if I book it this way and just get off in CNS and don't do the CNS to Darwin portion? Afterall I would be getting the AYQ-CNS portion that I want on the day I want. Is there a way to do this without messing up the remainder of any other part of my trip or return flights back to the USA?
Old Oct 11, 02, 2:11 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Firstly, QF awards are all calculated as return trips, so it will cost you the points for AYQ-Darwin and return, even if you only want to go one-way.

If you are intending to return, you will likely find the remainder of your intinerary has been cancelled because you failed to reboard in Cairns. Any checked baggage will be tagged and sent to Darwin. Not reboarding in Cairns will likely cause QF some angst as they page you and hold up the flight trying to locate you. So they won't look lightly on the exercise.

They certainly do some strange things with inventory on multi-sector routes. This is not unique to award seats. I have had similar things in D class (RTW Business class) and there was no flexibility. In that case I wanted to join the flight at the interim port, but had to route to the originating port and fly both sectors. There was nothing the reservations people could do, even as a platinum paying customer.