Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

How is mileage calculated for QF awards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2002, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Over the last few days I have been reading details regarding QF award tickets. Despite having done a search in this group and reading material on the QF official web site, there is still a basic point I don't fully understand: Suppose (just hypothetically) that I wished to get an award ticket SAN-NRT. There are no direct San Diego to Narita flights, so it would have to be ticketed as SAN-XXX-NRT. In this scenario, XXX would be used purely as a necessary transfer point, no stopover. So, would the mileage required be just SAN-NRT, or would it be SAN-XXX plus XXX-NRT? Again, the example used is just for illustration - I am aware that in this case it would not make any difference to the mileage award level required, but there are other cases where it would.
Old Jun 5, 2002, 11:40 pm

All travel is calculated BACK to the point of origin so it would be san-xxx-nrt and double that!
Old Jun 6, 2002, 12:12 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by EDoyle:
Over the last few days I have been reading details regarding QF award tickets. Despite having done a search in this group and reading material on the QF official web site, there is still a basic point I don't fully understand: Suppose (just hypothetically) that I wished to get an award ticket SAN-NRT. There are no direct San Diego to Narita flights, so it would have to be ticketed as SAN-XXX-NRT. In this scenario, XXX would be used purely as a necessary transfer point, no stopover. So, would the mileage required be just SAN-NRT, or would it be SAN-XXX plus XXX-NRT? Again, the example used is just for illustration - I am aware that in this case it would not make any difference to the mileage award level required, but there are other cases where it would. </font>
Intermediate transfer points are not counted, so in your example it is SAN-NRT-SAN as long as there is not a stopover at xxx. All mileage is calculated as round-trip, even if you don't actually travel back to the point of origin.
Old Jun 6, 2002, 7:49 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by number_6:
Intermediate transfer points are not counted, so in your example it is SAN-NRT-SAN as long as there is not a stopover at xxx. All mileage is calculated as round-trip, even if you don't actually travel back to the point of origin.</font>
Not quite totally correct. This is only the case if it is the same flight number that transits through XXX. If the two sectors are two different flight numbers, then the milage is the sum of the sector distances (and return as mentioned earlier).
Old Jun 6, 2002, 8:04 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
Originally posted by number_6:
Intermediate transfer points are not counted, so in your example it is SAN-NRT-SAN as long as there is not a stopover at xxx. All mileage is calculated as round-trip, even if you don't actually travel back to the point of origin.</font>
Not quite totally correct. This is only the case if it is the same flight number that transits through XXX. If the two sectors are two different flight numbers, then the milage is the sum of the sector distances (and return as mentioned earlier).
Not totally correct - they do indeed treat it as a through flight.

I upgraded using upgrade credits last month from SYD to SIN and it only cost me 3 credits - despite the flights concerned being from SYD to MEL and then a seperate flight from MEL to SIN.

It seems they evaluate each flight differently.

Dave
Old Jun 6, 2002, 4:52 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Upgrades are very different to reward flights. By the way, even for upgrades the total distance for the calculation of how many credits is still based on the sum of individual flights. I just so happens that SYD-MEL-SIN is in the same 3-credit band as SYD-MEL non-stop.

Either way the distance (which was the original request) is calculated as the sum of the individual flights, where a flight is defined as a single flight number.

[edited to fix blatent typo - other probably remain.]

[This message has been edited by NM (edited 06-07-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.