Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Upgrading - another technique that works! :+>

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2002, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold

Hi all,

You may recall my post a month or two ago about booking MEL-DUS with the greatest comfort due to travelling with my elderly grandmother. I ended up going with the SAS deal via Japan - QF economy to Japan and then SAS to Europe in business class.

Afer discovering that you can't upgrade until you've been ticketed (an *annoying* feature!) I've been watching availability and we decided to get our tickets anyway last week. Got a call yesterday from QF saying that the routing had been changed to a direct flight from MEL-NRT rather than via SYD. So I thought "Aha! A new flight must be full of empty award seats!", checked it online, and found out that I was right. A couple of phone calls later and we're all flying it in biz. And there's still availablity after 3 upgrades. :+>

A trick to watch out for, eh? We were on QF21 coming back on QF22 but we're now going out on QF179. I'm now hoping that they do a QF180 or something so that I can do the same thing for the return flight. :+>

Audrey
Old Apr 5, 2002, 7:36 am

Very neat! Lucky you! I tried to book the same fare to Europe and was told by SAS that there are absolutely no seats for the month of April. I was told the same about the full biz fare which is a bit over A$5100.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Hi again all,

Just an update: QF180 now exists, we've been rebooked onto it and have used our last remaining points to upgrade myself and my grandmother to biz. Now have to work the credit cards hard and raise enough points to try and upgrade my husband before we fly back in November. If we don't get the last upgrade my grandmother will insist on giving my husband the biz seat which leads to my question: what seats should I reserve on the 767? I had row 23 booked on the 747, the very front row of economy, and for the 767 I'm thinking either 25B or 23D. Anyone know which seat is better and offers better leg room?

Thanks once again for the help FTers have given me with planning this trip - it's really appreciated!

Audrey

Old Apr 10, 2002, 8:16 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Definitely go for the front row seats if you can, but be warned that they are usually exceedingly difficult to reserve; however, judging by your luck so far, maybe you'll do it! (It is very unusual in my experience for there to be more than 1-2 award BC award seats available on a 763; getting 3 is in almost the same realm of probability as winning Lotto!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.