Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

New Sydney airport tax..ripoff or what??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2001, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS

Among all the commotion of the last month, nobody seems to have noticed this new and decidedly nasty 'present' from Sydney airport! As of mid-September, all departures *AND ARRIVALS* through SYD international cop a $17.50 charge, ON TOP of all the previous taxes!

This means that for the privilege of doing an international trip via SYD (incoming or outgoing) you are now up for $38 + 2x$3.40 + 2x$17.50 = $79.80!! (and of course if you buy your ticket in Australia right now, there is also the $10 'bail out Air NZ' charge just to really sink the boot in!)

I think I am correct in saying that this is, by a HUGE margin, the highest airport tax of anywhere in the world! What's the message here..'Hey world, stay out of our country!!'?
Hasn't it dawned on some people in high places that right now we need INCENTIVES for people to come here, not the reverse in spades!

Of course, you can try to avoid flying via SYD, but this isn't always possible (specially given the schedules of our beloved 'Sydney airline')..besides, now that Sydney has gotten away with it, the other airports will surely be in there for their cut before long.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 3:44 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Connections at SYD have always been horrible, with the terrible design of the place and the stupid bus system from domestic to international. This is just another incentive to avoid an airport that was already well worth avoiding. We can only hope it will lead to more airlines flying out of other cities.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 10:25 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by whughes3:

I think I am correct in saying that this is, by a HUGE margin, the highest airport tax of anywhere in the world!
</font>
I'm pretty sure that London is higher than this.
Old Oct 13, 2001, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Flying out of London to a non-EU city in economy class costs you GBP 20.00 , but if you fly in Business or First, (and that includes to places like Switzerland) it will cost you a whopping GBP 40.00 ! Now that's about AUD$100.00 !
Old Oct 14, 2001, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Is that all London airports, or just LHR? In any case, it would seem that the great majority of people still pay much less that the across-the-board Sydney charges.
Old Nov 4, 2001, 10:23 pm

Whuges I'm hearing you on this issue...I just started a new post on this subject only to find the questions have been raised..

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by whughes3:
Among all the commotion of the last month, nobody seems to have noticed this new and decidedly nasty 'present' from Sydney airport! As of mid-September, all departures *AND ARRIVALS* through SYD international cop a $17.50 charge, ON TOP of all the previous taxes!

This means that for the privilege of doing an international trip via SYD (incoming or outgoing) you are now up for $38 + 2x$3.40 + 2x$17.50 = $79.80!! (and of course if you buy your ticket in Australia right now, there is also the $10 'bail out Air NZ' charge just to really sink the boot in!)

I think I am correct in saying that this is, by a HUGE margin, the highest airport tax of anywhere in the world! What's the message here..'Hey world, stay out of our country!!'?
Hasn't it dawned on some people in high places that right now we need INCENTIVES for people to come here, not the reverse in spades!

Of course, you can try to avoid flying via SYD, but this isn't always possible (specially given the schedules of our beloved 'Sydney airline')..besides, now that Sydney has gotten away with it, the other airports will surely be in there for their cut before long.
</font>
Old Nov 5, 2001, 2:04 pm

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
And don't forget the 'Ansett' tax of $10.

Considering the beating that Qantasalltheway took for having a political message on his tag I would hate to point out the bleeding obvious. ;-)

Can't wait for it to be privatised to watch effeciency soar and prices being reduced.
Like the banks....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.