Citibank Platinum

Old Sep 1, 2001, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Citibank Platinum

I know a few folks who have a Citibank std and Citibank Gold and understand that points accumulated on these cards can be converted into QF points.

In the mail the other day I got an invite for a Citibank platinum card, and was just wondering if anyone out there could fill me in on a few bits & pieces with this card.

They seem to offer something called Citibank Platinum Take Flight. The information I have says:

Unique. Flexible. Fly to any destination, any time, with Reward Points that are directly redeemable for the cost of your flight. The cheaper the flight, the fewer Reward Points you need. You can also combine points with cash to travel sooner or fly further.
* No joining fee
* Fly oin the dates that best fit your schedule
* No limit to destinations
* Reward points never expire
* Earn frequent flyer points when you fly with Take Flight
* Our preferred airline is Qantas. (Non-Qantas flights may be booked when when a QF flight does not meet your requirements).

Has anyone got any thoughts about the above? Anyone out there got one of these cards? Is it any better than the normal Citibank or QF Telstra Visa card??

They've also got something called the Unlimited Rewards Programme. It says...With Citibank Platinum you have the freedom to choose any reward you desire. The programme works in two ways:
1. Choose how you wwant to be rewarded - it can be anything at all - if we can find it and buy it, it's yours.
2. Exlusive rewards. Choose your reward from the exclusive Platinum Rewards catalogue or from our Standard Rewrds catalogue, which includes QF FF points.

The reason why I am not sure is the annual fee is like $250, as opposed to about $90 for a standard Gold card.

Any comments or thoughts appreciated.

MD
Old Sep 2, 2001, 9:31 pm

I have had a Citibank Platinum Card since its introduction some 2 years ago.

The card is basically a "enhanced" gold card, with some bells and whistles.

The two programs you refer too are somewhat simpler than they sound, and not that attractive in terms of point usage, unless you have points to spare.

The unlimited rewards, and take flight both work on the basis of XXXX points = XXXX dollars. You select a flight or gift or any product, Citibank buys it for you, and deducts an agreed number of points.

Generally, 10,000 citibank rewards points = $6.00 to $9.00. Thus a airfare that costs $3,000, would require 3,000,000 points (or 300,000 Qantas style points).

I haven't used it yet.

Hope this helps.

Old Sep 3, 2001, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for that info. It's good to get a straight answer - I called Citibank and they just went on & on and didn't really tell me a thing.

It seems that it is probably not worth getting the crad, considering the $250 p.a. fee.

Cheers
MD
Old Sep 4, 2001, 5:53 pm

No problem, It drove me insane as well when they rambled on about it !!!

The card also has a shocking concierge service. The best part is the hotel bennefits which I have actually used on a number of occasions.

As to whether its worth getting, if you travel allot, and stay at their hotels maybe....if not, probably not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.