Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Around Australia?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2000, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Around Australia?

Hi all, I am about to fly to Australia from Ireland for the second time. i have flown Qantas always and will have about 70 K QF FF pts to Use. If anyone could help me with any or all of the following questions I would be greatly appreciated.
1. Is the limit that one can cash in domestically in Australia is for 11000 km?
2. What has happened with FF pts and the new GST?
3. Going from Syd clockwise around Australia, ie Mel, Hob, Adl, Perth, Dar, Car, Brs, Syd; will this be covered by FF pts , and if not will I be able to pay for the difference?

4. for 70K, has anyone any other suggestions which could be used in/around Aus?

Many thanks

Paddy
Old Mar 2, 2000, 5:54 am

Paddy

The tax office just announced its ruling this week that awards issued for FF points will not be subject to the GST.

You can travel more than 11000km on an award ticket but you can't have more than one departure from your city of origin nor more than 2 stops or transits at any 1 city.

Once you go over 11000km though the points required increase dramatically. Up to 11000 km costs 30000 points in economy, but fly 11000 - 14600 km and it will cost you 60000 points. You may as well get 2 11000 km awards allowing 22000km of flying for the same 60000 pts.

If you are going to do that amount of flying you may as well upgrade to Business Class which only costs 37500 pts for the 11000 km trip.

The routing SYD-HBT-MEL-ADL-PER-DRW-CNS-BRS-SYD comes to 10892 km and so could be done for the 30000/37500 points. Adding Auckland or Denpasar to the trip would add another 30000 points economy or 45000 points in Business Class.
Old Mar 2, 2000, 10:55 pm

Paddy,

You won't be able to do the circuit you want to, as it's more than 11,000km. Also, Qantas doesn't fly direct from Hobart to Adelaide. If you check out qantas.com.au and follow the links to "Frequent Flyer" then "Earning and Redeeming Points" then "Earning Points", you'll get a handy page that teels you how many points you would earn beween each pair of cities. Just make sure you select "Economy", and it will give you the number of points you would earn (which is the same as the kilometres between cities). Just remember that if you can't get a direct flight, then all the stopovers count toward the kms.

Good news though!. If you go to Launceston instead of Hobart, it's a total of 10,830 kms (provided you can get a direct Perth-Darwin flight).

Make sure you book well in advance (especially if you are going Business Class).

Check out frequentflyer.com.au for more local tips.

Cheers!
Old Mar 3, 2000, 12:12 am

The routing I've listed above recognises that you can't fly HBT-ADL directthat's why it is listed as SYD-HBT-MEl-ADL..... and that does come in under 11000km as indicated.
Old Mar 9, 2000, 7:58 pm

Hi Paddy

I'm not sure if the rules are different for International members, but there used to be a wonderful option of using 30,000 points (which is the maximum number of points that can be charged for any trip inside Australia) and for those poitns get one round- Autralia ticket that covers all your destinations. There was a rule prohibiting back-tracking, and maybe a rule stating a maximum numberr of stop-offs/legs.
I'd contact Qantas via their web page & see if this is still possible. Also, as you have points to spare - 37500 for business class is a pretty good deal instead of 30,000 economy, as Business class tickets get you into the Qanta club lounges too !

Note that you only accrue Qantas FF points AFTER you've flown the particular journey, so when you are here, you'll have the point from your trip into Aust., but not from your journey home - those wil have to wait for another time.

Old Apr 21, 2000, 12:14 am

You may find that access to Qantas Club for Business Class travellers is only available for international flights, not domestic flights.

Also, you may find that there is now a limit of 5 stopovers for a multi-sector itinerary.

Old Apr 21, 2000, 3:03 am

You may be interested to know that AN apparently does not have similar stopover restrictions on their 30,000 (37,500) point award.

I was looking into the following itinerary last week and got the go ahead from AN.

MEL-CBR-SYD-AYQ-ASP-DRW-KNX-BME-PER-ADL-MEL

Very limited on the DRW-KNX leg though as you have to fly on the weekend BAe146 service, weekday flights are with Air North and apparently points can not be used. Although you could skip the DRW-KNX leg and fly to BME direct.

[This message has been edited by WorldFlyer (edited 04-21-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.