Original Member
Original Poster

New Qantas flights to East Timor

Hi all

Here the URL
http://www.qantas.com.au/newsroom/

"Qantas Flies To East Timor
Sydney, 13 April 2000:

Qantas will inaugurate flights to Dili, East Timor from Tuesday 2 May 2000.

Services will operate between Darwin and Dili four days a week, increasing to twice daily from 31 July 2000.

Qantas Deputy Chief Executive Officer, Geoff Dixon, said the services were in response to a growing demand from Australian businesses seeking travel to East Timor.

"While this is a commercial decision for the airline, Qantas is delighted to be assisting the development of economic and social ties with East Timor, through the provision of regular air transport," he said.

Mr Dixon said Qantas would provide six return flights a week initially, building to 14 round trips, subject to final government approval.

He said Qantas regional subsidiary Airlink, would operate the flights, using 36-seat de Havilland Dash 8 aircraft.

"We know a large number of United Nations peacekeepers in East Timor are also wanting to travel to Australia for short holidays. We expect demand on this new route to continue growing into the foreseeable future."

Mr Dixon said Qantas had contracted Dili-based Timor Airport Services to handle ground operations at Dili Airport.

"Timor Airport Services will train East Timorese in the role of airport services and Qantas trainers will be sent to East Timor to work alongside locally employed staff," he added.

He said the flying time between Darwin and Dili would be approximately one hour and 50 minutes. Return airfares would start from A$400."

I've been waiting for this as I'd like to visit East Timor once things have settled down a bit. An exotic destination on one's doorstep.

I wonder how many American miles one would need from the East Coast of Australia? Given that Bali is 25,000 miles I presume East Timor will be the same.

cheers Peter

Old Oct 1, 2004, 10:46 am

Programs: 4U_regular, LH_SEN, HH_Gold, Starwood_Gold ...
flights to DIL /EastTimor

hi,
are Qantas flights to DIL still going on? i need to go to DIL in january, the only connection i seem to find is through AirNorth, a regional associate.
anyone familiar with this route?
cheers!
carlos

Originally Posted by ffhound
Hi all

Here the URL
http://www.qantas.com.au/newsroom/

"Qantas Flies To East Timor
Sydney, 13 April 2000:

Qantas will inaugurate flights to Dili, East Timor from Tuesday 2 May 2000.

Services will operate between Darwin and Dili four days a week, increasing to twice daily from 31 July 2000.

Qantas Deputy Chief Executive Officer, Geoff Dixon, said the services were in response to a growing demand from Australian businesses seeking travel to East Timor.

"While this is a commercial decision for the airline, Qantas is delighted to be assisting the development of economic and social ties with East Timor, through the provision of regular air transport," he said.

Mr Dixon said Qantas would provide six return flights a week initially, building to 14 round trips, subject to final government approval.

He said Qantas regional subsidiary Airlink, would operate the flights, using 36-seat de Havilland Dash 8 aircraft.

"We know a large number of United Nations peacekeepers in East Timor are also wanting to travel to Australia for short holidays. We expect demand on this new route to continue growing into the foreseeable future."

Mr Dixon said Qantas had contracted Dili-based Timor Airport Services to handle ground operations at Dili Airport.

"Timor Airport Services will train East Timorese in the role of airport services and Qantas trainers will be sent to East Timor to work alongside locally employed staff," he added.

He said the flying time between Darwin and Dili would be approximately one hour and 50 minutes. Return airfares would start from A$400."

I've been waiting for this as I'd like to visit East Timor once things have settled down a bit. An exotic destination on one's doorstep.

I wonder how many American miles one would need from the East Coast of Australia? Given that Bali is 25,000 miles I presume East Timor will be the same.

cheers Peter
Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
I think it is a load of garbage. Just look at the dates, TU02MAY2000? That is over four years ago.

Whilst it would be good for such a service to be started, and might even be subsidised by the AU government as part of a support program, it hasn't happened yet. The sooner it happens though the better, this small nation needs all the help it can get.

Dave
Old Oct 1, 2004, 6:04 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by thadocta
I think it is a load of garbage. Just look at the dates, TU02MAY2000? That is over four years ago.
Dave - there were QF flights to Dili 4 years ago - the date of the original post was April 2000. And yes the flights are now with AirNorth.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:29 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Does anyone know the Award codes for TL? Are they X for econ as well?
Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:41 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
I was able to book a DIL-DRW-CNS-POM one-way for 18k pts (+2500 booking fee and $140 USD in taxes!! ), at over $1100USD for this ticket, that seems like a good deal!

Last edited by hauteboy; Jan 11, 2006 at 3:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.