General Comments

Old May 8, 1998, 11:59 am
Original Member
Original Poster

General Comments

I'm wondering if anyone knows the best advice for this. I fly regularly on Qantas between Australia and the U.S. I've always chosen American miles but find it difficult to redeem them for free flights on Qantas. I'm wondering if I were to choose Frequent Flyer to earn my miles on rather than with American if my award chances will improve.
Old Jun 30, 1998, 11:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: CX,HX,DL,UA
I think Qantas, American and Canadian Airline have close relationship with each other, so I think joining either one of these programs will be the same in getting an award seat
Old Jan 29, 1999, 9:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: QF Platypus UA PE MM HH Diamond
When I sought to redeem a UA M+ award on an Ansett flight, no seats were available. AN then advised me to use my Ansett points for an award flight, as award flights were available using those points. I suspect QF works similarly. My experience indicates that airlines continue to look after their own first, and alliance partners second. Will be interesting to see if that really changes as Ansett joins Star and Qantas becomes part of oneworld. If you switch to earning through QF rather than Aadvantage, remember that there are no tier bonus points added on the Australian schemes, just class of ticketing bonus. UA's 100% bonus for Prem. Execs has no Australian equivalent.
Old Jan 29, 1999, 10:24 pm
MMM

Programs: TK E+ *A GOLD, TAM OW Sapphire
Koala:

Something interesting happened to me this Xmas. I wa seeking to get a Award ticket to fly SYD or MEL -> AKL ! Well,... my main FFlyer program is with VARIG so I went straight to UA to try to book a ticket (Star alliance thought ....). No way ,... couldn't get it months ahead. The second option was Thai (Star again ...). No way !

So ,... I got it with AirNZ on the first try ! Detail : to travel on the 21/DEC on a very busy 737 service across the Tasman !

My conclusion was that UA would never give the award ticket to me on this route just because I could be taking a place of someone PAYING SYD->USA !

If you stick to the local airlines ,... for sure you have a better chance. Doesn't matter if it is star, oneworld or whatever !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.