FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   A380 Destinations and Schedule (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/781735-a380-destinations-schedule.html)

swdke Jan 21, 2008 12:26 pm

A380 Destinations and Schedule

I just receved a Qantas Frequent Flier Newsletter - Winter 2008 email, and it states:

"We are scheduled to be the first airline operating the Airbus A380 in the U.S. with service starting in the fall of 2008 from Los Angeles to Melbourne and Sydney."

I was wondering, have they released flight numbers and scheduled dates of service? Is Qantas flying to both MEL and SYD? Does Qantas have two A380's coming, or how do they plan to serve both cities?

ANstar Jan 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by swdke (Post 9109272)
I just receved a Qantas Frequent Flier Newsletter - Winter 2008 email, and it states:

"We are scheduled to be the first airline operating the Airbus A380 in the U.S. with service starting in the fall of 2008 from Los Angeles to Melbourne and Sydney."

I was wondering, have they released flight numbers and scheduled dates of service? Is Qantas flying to both MEL and SYD? Does Qantas have two A380's coming, or how do they plan to serve both cities?

I think they are due to get 3 this year. so they could possibly do a dlaiy service to SYD and something liek 3 weekly to MEL on the A380 (Much like the 332 will only do 3 or 4 weekly)

ThomasBne Jan 21, 2008 1:55 pm

deleted

DownUnderFlyer Jan 21, 2008 2:05 pm

So far the QF schedule only shows 744s operating between LAX and SYD/MEL for October - January. So your best bet is too book something and to hope for the A380 but not to expect it. They might have one daily flight and you might very well be on one of the other departures.

jakesterUK Jan 21, 2008 2:07 pm

Their first two planes are built, and the first one is due to fly on the 14th January (apparently) - so maybe it's already taken to the skies.

You can find out more at: -

Wikipedia Delivery Schedule

Picture

MSN014 and MSN015 are due to be delivered to Qantas, but there are no delivery dates at this time. There are 4 more Singapore Airlines Aircraft and 4 Emirates planes to be deliverred before Qantas get their first.

Emirates are supposed to be operating theirs to JFK, and as they are due to get theirs before Qantas, this may be a bit of creatve spin (unless the serial number sequence is not the same as the delivery order). But I'm sure there's someone who knows more than me who will give you an accurate response!

:cool:

777 global mile hound Jan 21, 2008 2:44 pm

Will reward seats be allowed in First?

eoinnz Jan 21, 2008 3:57 pm

Melbourne - Los Angeles will be the first route the A380 will operate however it will not be the first flight. That will take place from Sydney. To where I don't know but most likely Los Angeles as well.

ozzie Jan 22, 2008 3:24 am

Originally Posted by jakesterUK (Post 9109916)
Their first two planes are built, and the first one is due to fly on the 14th January (apparently) - so maybe it's already taken to the skies.

You can find out more at: -

Wikipedia Delivery Schedule

Picture

MSN014 and MSN015 are due to be delivered to Qantas, but there are no delivery dates at this time. There are 4 more Singapore Airlines Aircraft and 4 Emirates planes to be deliverred before Qantas get their first.

Emirates are supposed to be operating theirs to JFK, and as they are due to get theirs before Qantas, this may be a bit of creatve spin (unless the serial number sequence is not the same as the delivery order). But I'm sure there's someone who knows more than me who will give you an accurate response!

:cool:

My understanding is that the serial numbers are not in order and that QF is to be the second A380 customer. Someone's bound to correct me here though ....

abcedaria Jan 22, 2008 4:35 am

Isn't that the last iteration of the red rat on the tail of the b*s?

perthite Jan 22, 2008 6:29 am

Originally Posted by abcedaria (Post 9113383)
Isn't that the last iteration of the red rat on the tail of the b*s?

Looks that way, but one of the A380's has been sporting a roo on its tail for a while. See this pic from July. http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=648148

NM Jan 22, 2008 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by ozzie (Post 9113244)
My understanding is that the serial numbers are not in order and that QF is to be the second A380 customer. Someone's bound to correct me here though ....

Note that the EK aircraft are A380-861 model where the 61 is the designator for the Engine Alliance GP7270 engines. This engine type was not certified until December 2007, some 12 months after the A380-841 with the RR Trent 970 engines. SQ and QF are both receiving A380-841 models.

So it is possible the -861 deliveries to EK may be delayed slightly, especially the test/certification aircraft (MSN 007 and MSN009).

Its also possible that EK do not plan to operate to JFK with their initial deliveries. Just as Qantas has plans to operate to LHR, but has noted that LAX will be the first international route with LHR to be added later when sufficient aircraft have been delivered. So its still possible that QF's claim to be the first to fly the A380 commercially to USA will hold true.

Kiwi Flyer Jan 22, 2008 5:41 pm

First EK A380 flights to JFK are in October and already loaded into the schedule. Unlike SQ no surcharge ^

littl_flier Jan 23, 2008 5:46 am

Originally Posted by eoinnz (Post 9110538)
Melbourne - Los Angeles will be the first route the A380 will operate however it will not be the first flight. That will take place from Sydney. To where I don't know but most likely Los Angeles as well.

Just a thought but it could be good publicity for QF to bring home the Olympic team home from Beijing on the A380. Given the delivery is expected in August, I wonder if this would be a possible option?

adampenrith Jan 23, 2008 6:33 am

Mel Lax

Its official - well as official as it gets!!!
www.news.com.au - has an entry at 1230 today Wed Jan 22 that the first A380 will work the MEL-LAX route.

The loadings must require it - the competition must require it - unusual for SYD not to be getting something good first - BUT QF is very focused on the bottom line these days. So focused its the only thing that matters.

The only time this focus will move away is when there is nothing but red to be seen - and then the QF board may focus on why the pax all went elsewhere.

Adam

Traveloguy Jan 23, 2008 7:34 am

Originally Posted by adampenrith (Post 9120052)
Its official - well as official as it gets!!!
www.news.com.au - has an entry at 1230 today Wed Jan 22 that the first A380 will work the MEL-LAX route.

The loadings must require it - the competition must require it - unusual for SYD not to be getting something good first - BUT QF is very focused on the bottom line these days. So focused its the only thing that matters.

The only time this focus will move away is when there is nothing but red to be seen - and then the QF board may focus on why the pax all went elsewhere.

Adam

It's actually nice to see QF not being so SYD centric. The populations of the two cities is not that different after all.