Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 Destinations and Schedule

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
MEL gate 9 employed upper deck airbridge for the A380's first venture there. (as well as a lower deck airbridge)
Old Apr 19, 2008, 8:13 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
So as we approach the end of April, with around 4 months until QF receive their first A380, if not sooner, any ideas when the A380 routes will be officially announced ?
Old Apr 19, 2008, 8:23 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I'm still tipping the first route will be a special trip SYD-PEK,
maybe a few days before the 8/8/08
Old Apr 20, 2008, 2:19 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by moa999
I'm still tipping the first route will be a special trip SYD-PEK,
maybe a few days before the 8/8/08
Is PEK capable of managing an A380?
Old Apr 20, 2008, 2:39 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Given the new T3 just opened am pretty sure it will.

Yep.
http://www.thebeijingguide.com/airport/index.html

Indeed, they also have a hanger that can hold an A380
http://www.cityscapemis.com/page/943...rport?country=
Old Apr 20, 2008, 4:09 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Hmmmmmm I just want to select my seats as I have J seats booked for late Jan MEL-LAX

I will ring and pick seats on the 744 just in case I think
Old Apr 20, 2008, 8:58 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by NM
Is PEK capable of managing an A380?
I am in PEK at the moment and the answer is yes. The terminal is gigantic and parts of it are not even open yet.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 8:54 pm
NM

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I am in PEK at the moment and the answer is yes. The terminal is gigantic and parts of it are not even open yet.
The size of the terminal is not the defining factor. Do they have the service equipment capable of ground handling? Are the runways and taxiways approved for A380 operations? I don't know the answer to these questions.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by NM
The size of the terminal is not the defining factor. Do they have the service equipment capable of ground handling? Are the runways and taxiways approved for A380 operations? I don't know the answer to these questions.
Sorry, the two statements I made were not related. So here they are again, separated:

a) Yes, PEK is A380 capable. It has the aero bridges, taxiways, hangars etc. to handle the big bird.
b) The terminal is huge. Gigantic in scale and makes LHR T5 look small (and it is small in comparions). T3 is bigger than all LHR terminals put together. However, while the macro design is quite nice, I found the detail design to be quite ordinary. Plus the space is not used efficiently so it does not make full use of its size.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 9:20 pm
NM

Originally Posted by NM
ok, a little research shows that PEK is ready for the A380.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 9:22 pm
NM

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Sorry, the two statements I made were not related. So here they are again, separated:

a) Yes, PEK is A380 capable. It has the aero bridges, taxiways, hangars etc. to handle the big bird.
b) The terminal is huge. Gigantic in scale and makes LHR T5 look small (and it is small in comparions). T3 is bigger than all LHR terminals put together. However, while the macro design is quite nice, I found the detail design to be quite ordinary. Plus the space is not used efficiently so it does not make full use of its size.
indeed that is what I found with a little research. I wonder which airline will be the first to operate regular scheduled A380 services to PEK (not including any Olympic special charter or one-offs)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.