Wiki Posts
Search

Status Credit Run EX Brisbane

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2007, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Status Credit Run EX Brisbane

First time poster, long time reader..

Hiya's, I have been reading the forum for a while and some of the tips and tricks have been most useful. My current job (contracting to Defence) means that I generally fly out and back to Brisbane once a week. I checked my Qantas Club account last night and was surprised to see that I am 45 points from Platinum (by 31 Dec 07). but this time of the year generally means that I wont fly until early next year.

I am after any advice on (as usual) the cheapest means of getting those 45 points Ex Brisbane.

I have some travel that I have to take to Sydney so that (23 Dec - QF505 Ex Bris, 24 Dec - QF548 Ex Syd) should get me down to 25 points..

I have checked Jetsatr's pricing and they seem to be the way to go doing just a day trip to Macay or similar..

Anyone have any other suggestions? I will be flying internationally 4 times next year so the Platinum rating will be very convenient

Cheers

Sal
Old Dec 16, 2007, 4:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to Flyer Talk Saladin

jetstar is non SC earning unless you are on full fare

a simple round trip one-way high economy fare and one-way cheapo is probably best, or a longer round trip (>600 miles) in any booking class

what dates do you have available for travel?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 4:28 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Take it those two flights you have are discount Economy.

So you need 25 SCs.
Cheapest way would probably be to upgrade one of those Syd-Bris flights to Business (40SCs), then the other leg would get you 10SCs

Edit:
Noting that Biz on your two flights is pricing at $498 (that is probably a $350 cost to you versus a $150 red e-deal)

Other next easiest would be a SYD-CBR run (maybe on the afternoon of the 24th) Red/Flexi to get 30SCs (would cost $340 though so no real benefit versus upgrading)

I would upgrade 548 on the way back and have a nice pre-Xmas dinner!!

Last edited by moa999; Dec 16, 2007 at 4:37 pm
Old Dec 16, 2007, 4:28 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BD*S, Hertz 5
Welcome to FT Saladin!

I think that a quick return flight late in afternoon would be a good way to get the remaining SC's.

You could get a red-e-deal rtn. to MEL and this will net you 30SC's but the cheap seats ($160) are going to be thin on the ground this close to christmas and new years.

Personally I would catch JQ18 in Starclass BNE-SYD for $239 then catch the cheapest back. There seems to be plenty of availability for this fare. This gives you 40 SC's.

Have fun in the First lounge!
Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by sailrob81
... Personally I would catch JQ18 in Starclass BNE-SYD for $239 then catch the cheapest back. There seems to be plenty of availability for this fare. This gives you 40 SC's. ...
This would be my advice. I flew JQ35 SYD-MEL on Saturday for $241 and the 1125 QFF points and SC's posted Sunday.

Fly back in a Red e-deal from $120 ...
Old Dec 16, 2007, 7:00 pm

Just to echo the previous you'd struggle to pick requirements more tailor made to starclass on JQ18
Old Dec 16, 2007, 7:58 pm

I would note that JQ18 BNE-SYD is a daily morning (8.25am) plane - $239 for Starclass (40SCs).

To be clear, suggestion is to

Cancel QF505 (Sun 23rd 5.55am departure) - $27.50 rebooking fee to get QF credit
Rebook JQ18 *Class (Sun 23rd 8.25am departure) - $239 cost
---
Total cost $266.50

If the OP needs to take a flight as early as QF505, next best option is upgrade one of the currently booked flights to Business (cost about $350)

---
Offtopic..
Interesting that JQ817 and JQ819 (ie the Jetstar Domestic flights) show up in the QF booking system, but JQ18 doesn't (JQ International)
Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Thanks all for the very useful advice.. I am currently at the QClub at Bris International about to board JQ18 to Sydney (which will get my first 40points0 and the return trip will be the remainder. Decided to not do the trip on the 23rd from an Economy point of view (pun intended...). The trip down will be so that we can get some work squared away and so that my group can plan our Hong Kong Trip for early in the New Year (Baggage handlers will NOT disrupt our travel!!!! )

Thanks again and will post again in the future.

Cheers

Sal
Old Dec 26, 2007, 5:42 pm

Saladin,
Congrats in advance on the QF WP status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.