Search

J Line Check In Protocol

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2008, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: SG, PR, Avis Preferred and so on
J Line Check In Protocol

Dear Esteemed FT'ers,

Again I seek your advice, this time in relation to the use of the J check in at SYD Intl for a coming trip. I am travelling with family in Y (Mrs CFC, Ma & Pa and a couple of siblings for whom emotional attachment varies on whether I am drinking from their fridge or them from mine) and only myself as a SG and bride as NB hold any status.

Is it possible for them to tag with me into the expess lane, or so I have to knock back to the masses? Obviously not an issue at all unless the line in one is greater than the other.

I have seen one man with status carry a football team into the priority check in at DOM but unsure as to the protocol at Intl.

Also, any point in visiting the J lounge a SYD given the bar wont be open and I will have had breakfast? Anything to see or same old same old and pretend to enjoy the company of the family?

As always feedback appreciated.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 7:15 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Normally you can not take a football team of non status pax to any express counter. Domestic or International. But QF often allows their status pax to do so as long as they are all together. I'd surprise me if they would send your folks to the Y line.

The international J lounge is not very great. I personally think they have gone the wrong way with this renovation. You can bring one guest into the lounge and they do enforce this rule (they might let children in).
Old Jul 14, 2008, 7:29 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
I have done so without any problems when all the passengers are on the same PNR. If different bookings then it may not be seen as the right move.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I bascially concur with NM, the one PNR (or TCP'd ) booking.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by cfcwaytobe
Dear Esteemed FT'ers,
Also, any point in visiting the J lounge a SYD given the bar wont be open and I will have had breakfast? Anything to see or same old same old and pretend to enjoy the company of the family?

As always feedback appreciated.
I thought the bar was always open in the Intl QP!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I personally think they have gone the wrong way with this renovation.
There was a renovation??! You've got to be kidding me.

If there's only one thing the J lounge is good at it's probably escaping from the somewhat disorganised under-renovation airport.

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
That's what I thought too. When I was last in the SYD Intl QC I was sipping sparkling white at about 10am in the morning.

Perhaps first thing in the morning it may not be open.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 3:28 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
The bar is always open for international. My wife has no issues with drinking at 7am. Although she also tells me the new J lounge is quite suitable but likewise failed to notice that it had been renovated and claimed it looked pretty much like the old F lounge before they renovated that.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... along with the post mix served slightly fizzy amber liquid ...

Last edited by serfty; Jul 14, 2008 at 5:19 pm
Old Jul 14, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BD*S, Hertz 5
It's always 5 o'clock somewhere.

I have checked the parents and sister in with me whilst on the same PNR when i was an SG at the J desk. Not a problem though i think a football team is a bit much.

Didn't try to get into the lounge but the irish pub in MEL provided a suitable venue for pre-drinks.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:15 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by nonce
Although she also tells me the new J lounge is quite suitable but likewise failed to notice that it had been renovated and claimed it looked pretty much like the old F lounge before they renovated that.
And I always thought the renovation of the J lounge was done to encourage people to go for Platinum.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:21 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by sailrob81
It's always 5 o'clock somewhere.
Surely you mean 12 o'clock?

Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:44 pm

And I always thought the renovation of the J lounge was done to encourage people to go for Platinum.
You mean go for Gold?

Why aim for the Intl J Lounge when WP will give you access to the Intl F Lounge instead, which is much better than the J Lounge?

Not to mention that QC members can also access the Intl J Lounge. You can't (not directly anyway) buy your way into the F Lounge.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:30 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Well the only time I have been there was before my WP qualifying flight and boy did the "refresh and enhancement" scare me into comitting to staying WP.
I felt embarassed over the fact that I gave my brother a QP pass before he fly to LAX, it probably made him wonder what all the fuss was about!
Old Jul 15, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
As others have said, if on the same PNR then you are fine.

I am embarrassed to say that I have taken a small crowd through the premium check-in with a few people on separate bookings. But only would do it if the premium area was pretty empty and the staff don't seem to mind as long as others aren't being held up.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 8:52 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Well the only time I have been there was before my WP qualifying flight and boy did the "refresh and enhancement" scare me into comitting to staying WP.
This is exactly what I meant. Once people have seen the new J lounge they will try everything they can, to either stay Platinum or become Platinum. What a brilliant plan!

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Jul 15, 2008 at 8:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.