Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

4 segments enforced for QF status (merged thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 segments enforced for QF status (merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2007, 1:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I would not be surprised if QF raised the bar to 1500 SCs (OWE) / 750 SCs (OWS) although well aware that QF status is very difficult to achieve if based in Aus/NZ compared to those QF'ers living overseas. Let's just hope that QF compensates by providing Emerald/Sapphire only lounges in MEL/SYD/BNE as I am tired of fighting to get a seat when travelling on peak domestic services.
Even 1200 SCs (to requalify platinum) is very hard if travelling only domestically in NZ. A round trip between Wellington and Auckland, for example, every week of the year is not enough.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I think based on IMOA's experience and the changes to the T's and C's it is safe to say that a person won't progress through the QF status chain if they don't do 4 sectors per membership year. I therefore suspect that should a person fly 1400 SCs in a year and yet does not fly the required 4 sectors will still be a NB. Having said that, I suspect that should they fly the required 4 sectors, they would automatically jump from NB to WP.

Might be something to consider for those doing a AONEx or DONEx and crediting to QF yet not flying QF until the end of their journey.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 4:16 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Checking the other way, on Expedia AMS-LHR-AMS is showing as GBP 480 (incl taxes) using the QF designator (again business class).

should save me, not too expensive, as I have to do at least one of those anyway, or a way of banking a couple of sectors to QF, if it works!

now, if we can work out how to do this on AA as I plod on some of the codeshare flights quite easily....

I have not taken the RTW option as I am too busy shuttling through London at the moment.

Last edited by spotwelder; Mar 31, 2007 at 4:22 pm
Old Mar 31, 2007, 4:29 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Ts and Cs

If there has been a change to the Ts and Cs, which appears to be documented earlier, should we not have been told before they were enforced? Is there not a minimum notification time?

off to check my options as I have not seen a QF newsletter in my email for ages.

checked it and not been sent by email as requested.

Last edited by spotwelder; Mar 31, 2007 at 4:43 pm
Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spotwelder
If there has been a change to the Ts and Cs, which appears to be documented earlier, should we not have been told before they were enforced? Is there not a minimum notification time?
There is no change to the T&C in regards to the requirement for 4 segments to be flown however, since it was always in there, just that QF used not to enforce the term

I don't see that there is grounds to complain to QFF in this instance

Dave
Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:47 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I suppose just another no-brainer for those living in SYD/CBR/MEL/BNE as 4 segments would turn out to be quite inexpensive and no real indication of loyalty. Any where else QF seems to be saying - do we really need QFF members there - unless they really are loyal?

OTOH I would guess I will lose my "complimentary" QFPS renewals as my multiple RTs on QF SIN-PER each year get credited to AAnother airline.

With the demise of the AY flights SIN-BKK it appears the best SC values per $ will be CX business class ex BKK (CMB and HKG) or SIN (BKK and CMB) if you can't get to the USA for AA YUP segments. Either of those oprtions would make SQ attainable in a reasonable manner when combined with the flights to get there from Australia.

Happy wandering.

Fred
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:09 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
May have been reported earlier, but the QF web for "your activity" now shows which flights qualify for status. I think this is new.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no change to the T&C in regards to the requirement for 4 segments to be flown however, since it was always in there, just that QF used not to enforce the term

Dave
Agree.

T&Cs can be changed at any time, and often are. This is something that annoys me since by booking or flying you are deemed to have accepted the T&Cs but the airlines are under no obligation to publicise any changes as long as they are posted on the website. How many people read them every time they make a booking or take a flight? Very customer unfriendly, but not applicable this time as the rule hasn't changed.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I suppose just another no-brainer for those living in SYD/CBR/MEL/BNE as 4 segments would turn out to be quite inexpensive and no real indication of loyalty. Any where else QF seems to be saying - do we really need QFF members there - unless they really are loyal?

OTOH I would guess I will lose my "complimentary" QFPS renewals as my multiple RTs on QF SIN-PER each year get credited to AAnother airline.

With the demise of the AY flights SIN-BKK it appears the best SC values per $ will be CX business class ex BKK (CMB and HKG) or SIN (BKK and CMB) if you can't get to the USA for AA YUP segments. Either of those oprtions would make SQ attainable in a reasonable manner when combined with the flights to get there from Australia.

Happy wandering.

Fred
If you are not crediting flights to Qantas, then it would seem quite reasonable for them not to give status; with flights to SIN, you would have no issue making the requirements if you were to credit to QF however you have chosen to credit to another scheme.

As far as cheap ways to get status, I suspect that most members who get get status do sp by the virtue of travel that they happen to do rather than insanely (imo) do travel just in order to get status

It doesn't seem that unreasonable for QF to decide that they do not want to provide the benefits of "loyalty" to those who provide little to no custom to the airline.

I can see how this change is an issue for those living in places like Europe where there are few QF flight options, but not for those in Australia ( even Perth ) .

Dave
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:52 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
There is no change to the T&C in regards to the requirement for 4 segments to be flown however, since it was always in there, just that QF used not to enforce the term...
I'm not convinced that QF is enforcing the 4 segments across the board. I was renewed recently (as WP) without having 4 segments on QF in QFF (actually I had 0 segments and 0 SCs as all QF flights were credited to AA instead). It would be a drastic change in marketing strategy to go from that position to enforcing the 4 segments across the board. What they may be doing is looking at each traveler individually, analyzing profitability and stretching the rules when it is profitable to do so. I believe the software to do this is now being marketed by several sources (and works no matter what FF plan you credit it to).
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
I'm not convinced that QF is enforcing the 4 segments across the board. I was renewed recently (as WP) without having 4 segments on QF in QFF (actually I had 0 segments and 0 SCs as all QF flights were credited to AA instead). It would be a drastic change in marketing strategy to go from that position to enforcing the 4 segments across the board.
From looking at it, especially with them now showing whether the flight was eligable towards the flight segment count and the entry showing number of qualifying segments flown ( which disappears once the 4 is reached ) that apart from the complimentary renewals to those who fail to reach the renewal requirements, that they do intend to enforce it across the board

Dave
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver

Dave
There is a change in the rules in this regard; Award flight segment would previously have counted:
Originally Posted by Pre 22nd 2nd march T&C's
19.1.5 The travel required in each Membership Year to attain or retain Silver, Gold or Platinum status level must include a minimum of four Segments on Qantas or QantasLink.
The rule 19.1.5 has been modified thus:
19.1.5 The travel required in each Membership Year to attain or retain Silver, Gold or Platinum status level must include a minimum of four Eligible Flight Segments on Qantas, QantasLink or Jetstar.
So "Free"/Industry/Award or any QF flight segments not deemed eligible no longer qualify.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
There is a change in the rules in this regard; Award flight segment would previously have counted:The rule 19.1.5 has been modified thus:
So "Free"/Industry/Award or any QF flight segments not deemed eligible no longer qualify.

Hmm.. Well I would agree that someone who has already taken 4 award sectors could well have a reasonable grounds to be awarded status

Dave
Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:49 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by serfty
There is a change in the rules in this regard; Award flight segment would previously have counted:The rule 19.1.5 has been modified thus:
Maybe the rule is changed to remove ambiguity. In the original rules, it states "the travel required to attain or retain silver...etc" seems to implicitly exclude award travel, as award travel is not required and cannot help you attain or retain status.

My reading of the original rule wording would not make me think that award travel counts to your 4 sector count...but QF may have decided to remove any doubt since they are now enforcing it.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Taken on its own "... must include a minimum of four Segments on Qantas or QantasLink" leaves quite a bit of leeway ...

B•s anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.