Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

4 segments enforced for QF status (merged thread)

4 segments enforced for QF status (merged thread)

Old Mar 26, 07, 8:34 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Enforcement action.

Does this mean that my QF plat will get a soft landing to QF Gold, or that I will be forced to lifetime Silver on renewal?

I guess that I can plod to lifetime Gold but waitlist status on 1W is what it is all about to me, so I need an Emerald card. I could have done the AA Plat challenge in about 4 days of discount Y last week. Oh well, I might hAAve to consider other options.

Can you book the mileage redemption on the codeshare QF part of BA flights to meet this, or do they only book into BA part of the aircraft?
Old Mar 26, 07, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Another thought?

Book a full Y fare xxx-LHR-BKK/HKG/SIN on QF codeshare with BA operating the xxx-LHR sector. Get off at LHR and ask for a refund? Would that count All that they can do is charge you for the full Y sector anyway.
Old Mar 26, 07, 11:31 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by spotwelder View Post
Book a full Y fare xxx-LHR-BKK/HKG/SIN on QF codeshare with BA operating the xxx-LHR sector. Get off at LHR and ask for a refund? Would that count All that they can do is charge you for the full Y sector anyway.
Sounds like a very expensive way of attaining / maintaining status, especially if you need all 4 segments.
Old Mar 26, 07, 1:57 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF doesn't have traffic rights xxx-LHR, thus no fare tariff is filed; so in your example of the fully refundable Y ticket booked on QF, if you get off at LHR you still pay for LHR-BKK/HKG/SIN, making this very expensive indeed. And it would have to be done 4 times (so this would be over USD 10,000 -- maybe a record for most expensive way to get FF segments). Kind of an anti-MR.

The bottom line: must travel to Australia at least once a year to maintain status on QFF.
Old Mar 26, 07, 2:29 pm

I travel on some full Y tickets within Europe on BA flights which carry the codeshare, anyway. I would assume that they would default to the IATA full Y fare for the sector flown, not the full price to Asia. Therefore, not a great additional cost. I will ask. QF does have traffic rights MAN to LHR, it is just how you get to use it...

If you purchase a LHR to SYD, is that one or two segments? I guess that I would probably take LHR HKG SYD anyway to split the flight, but I am not sure, otherwise, it could be two returns a year to oz...
Old Mar 26, 07, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess that I can plod to lifetime Gold but waitlist status on 1W is what it is all about to me, so I need an Emerald card. I could have done the AA Plat challenge in about 4 days of discount Y last week. Oh well, I might hAAve to consider other options.

Can you book the mileage redemption on the codeshare QF part of BA flights to meet this, or do they only book into BA part of the aircraft?
Do you have any trips to Asia to do? AMS-LHR-SIN r/t would meet the requirements for status for example

Failing that, looking on EF, there is a r/t C fare listed by QF (C042EU2 ) for GBP404 for AMS-LHR and a single fare of GBP243

Dave
Old Mar 26, 07, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you purchase a LHR to SYD, is that one or two segments? I guess that I would probably take LHR HKG SYD anyway to split the flight, but I am not sure, otherwise, it could be two returns a year to oz...
As long as you stopover or change flight numbers en-route , then it will be 2 segments

Dave
Old Mar 26, 07, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Do you have any trips to Asia to do? AMS-LHR-SIN r/t would meet the requirements for status for example

Failing that, looking on EF, there is a r/t C fare listed by QF (C042EU2 ) for GBP404 for AMS-LHR and a single fare of GBP243

Dave
Thanks Dave, the reason that I might not get to Australia this year is that I am too busy with crashes in Portugal, Canada, the US and Russia. Not exactly wonderful for Asia or Australia. However, I am sure that our friends in Indonesia will require some attention shortly (three 737 write offs in three months) and that will give me the chance to pick up the QF sectors.

In the mean time, I do have some paid for J trips to AMS to do later in the season. Only pain is that AMS is the only airport with a decent BA service from LGW and I guess that QF segments will require me to drive past LGW on the way to LHR. Still, needs must! Are you sure that the fares are QF fares and not just the standard YY IATA fares for the route?

Last edited by spotwelder; Mar 26, 07 at 4:02 pm
Old Mar 26, 07, 5:32 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Thanks Dave, the reason that I might not get to Australia this year is that I am too busy with crashes in Portugal, Canada, the US and Russia. Not exactly wonderful for Asia or Australia. However, I am sure that our friends in Indonesia will require some attention shortly (three 737 write offs in three months) and that will give me the chance to pick up the QF sectors.
Just make one of your trips to one of those places as an ATW fare and spend a weekend routing to the USA via Asia and Australia. Only need to do that once.
Old Mar 26, 07, 5:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Originally Posted by NM View Post
Just make one of your trips to one of those places as an ATW fare and spend a weekend routing to the USA via Asia and Australia. Only need to do that once.
You can have 8 QF flights on a single xONEx, thus a well-timed one could meet the 4 sectors requirement for 2 qualification years.
Old Mar 26, 07, 6:20 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
You can have 8 QF flights on a single xONEx, thus a well-timed one could meet the 4 sectors requirement for 2 qualification years.
Actually can have 10 QF flights (4 in Oz, 2 to/from Oz, and 1 codeshare in each of Europe/NA). And can buy 2 more, if really desperate, making for 12 total. But getting the year split is a bit tricky; simpler to just visit.

Given all of the non-Australia based WP renewals with below threshold SCs, this new 4-QF flight enforcement seems a bit odd and contradictory to the recent renewal policy.
Old Mar 26, 07, 6:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I was ignoring codeshares. 2 europe->oz, 4 in SWP, 1 to nth america and 1 LAX-JFK (or vv).
Old Mar 26, 07, 7:11 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
.... could meet the 4 sectors requirement for 2 qualification years.
Would they let you do 8 sectors in one year and 0 in the next? QF doesn't have the two year rythm of LH so I think you will need to do 4 sectors per year. I need to hurry to get lifetime status before my work will take me abroad....
Old Mar 26, 07, 7:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

You would need to time the RTW so that 4 sectors are in the first qualification period, and 4 in the second. Eg say my qualification period ends each April. If I schedule a RTW to have 4 QF flights in/before April and 4 QF flights in/after May, then I meet both year's requirements.

Not really important to most QFFers based in Australia or NZ. May be important for those based in Europe, Asia or the Americas.
Old Mar 26, 07, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by serfty
From the T&C's.
19.1.5 The travel required in each Membership Year to attain or retain Silver, Gold or Platinum status level must include a minimum of four Segments on Qantas or QantasLink.
I'm sure that if Qantas are going to start enforcing this rule, that these T&C's will need to be altered so that flights on Jetconnect and Australian Airlines would qualify.

I was not so sure about jet however, so I rechecked a copy the email referred to in the OP:I think that bit about Jet is new, maybe that's part of the reason for the issue to be raised in the newsletters.
OK, since I posted that on March 21st, Qantas have revised the text of the rules.

Under the heading: Effective 22 March 2007 They now read:
19.1.5 The travel required in each Membership Year to attain or retain Silver, Gold or Platinum status level must include a minimum of four Eligible Flight Segments on Qantas, QantasLink or Jetstar.
It's now:
  • Eligible Flight Segments (rather than "segments"), &
  • Qantas, QantasLink or Jetstar.
I still do not know where this leaves "Australian Airlines" or "Jetconnect" exactly, but when booked on one of these flights you see "Operated by .......... for Qantas" I would think they are indeed eligible. Still not sure if codeshares are eligble in this regard.

Search this Thread