Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

4 segments enforced for QF status (merged thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 segments enforced for QF status (merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:44 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by hauteboy
I guess another option is to let it expire then try to requal in early May. It's another 200pts but don't really have alot of free weekends to requalify for this now.
I'm pretty sure QF would give you gold (instead of silver) if you don't requalify provided you had decent activity sometime in the past 5 years (say >3K SCs in at least one of the past 5 years on QFF). They do have a soft landing and <4 segments isn't an issue with the right activity pattern.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by number_6
I'm pretty sure QF would give you gold (instead of silver) if you don't requalify provided you had decent activity sometime in the past 5 years (say >3K SCs in at least one of the past 5 years on QFF). They do have a soft landing and <4 segments isn't an issue with the right activity pattern.

So there is comprehensively a soft landing? I'll end up withabout ~3500 status credits this year, but if I break 500 next I'll be surprised. Damn using all the miles I've made for the next years travel But if I'm going to be hit straight back to either NB or silver, then I may as well do a plat challenge and start being an Aass...
Old Feb 9, 2008, 3:44 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
unless you have lifetime status
You had to rub this in, hadn't you? . I will reach lifetime SG in June, provided they don't get rid of lifetime status before then.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Qantas have had a "soft landing" for at least the last 10 years. So, for those who stopped flying so much they went, say, from WP to SG, then from SG to PS and eventually NB.

The issue here relates somewhat to the min 4 QF / JQ eligible segments. Does a "soft Landing" still apply now Qantas are enforcing the 4 segment rule?

alect has posted they gave him a soft landing to SG from WP without crediting 4 QF segments to QFF in his most recent "year".

Last edited by serfty; Feb 10, 2008 at 3:36 pm
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
You had to rub this in, hadn't you? . I will reach lifetime SG in June, provided they don't get rid of lifetime status before then.
OR, that YOU don't get rid of your lifetime!

Dave
Old Feb 9, 2008, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
good luck
Old Feb 9, 2008, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
1) I don't understand how QF thinks this is economically attractive: if someone flies 1,200 QCs on QF -- how much does QF get paid versus how much do they spend for lounge access? I can't imaging they don;t get paid "more". If they get paid 2 cents per miles for a 2,500 flight, that's $50. I don't think they pay more than $25 for access. But most QF Plats fly C or F, where lounge access is free anyway, and most flights are a loot longer.

2) I would think, at least base on US law, that QF would have significant liability for selective enforcement if they lured people into the programme (with inferior redemption levels) and got them to allocate substantial miles towards QF FF, only to change to application of the rules to require 4 segments, when otherwise they never have in the past.

Maybe it will happen. Maybe there are other economics I don't understand...but I think this is inconsistent with previous practices and doesn't make sense.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by nologic
1) I don't understand how QF thinks this is economically attractive: if someone flies 1,200 QCs on QF -- how much does QF get paid versus how much do they spend for lounge access?
If a Qantas Frequent Flyer flies with Qantas, then Qantas gets profit from the fare itself, increases their revenue and due to scale it costs little to give them lounge access before their flight.

If the same FF flies with AA, then Qantas only receives a payment towards the cost of the FF points from AA, is likely to be charged for lounge access and doesn't benefit from the increase in their aircraft loads, credit card surcharges etc. That payment also goes towards the liability later when a FF member redeems their points.

In the case a person is flying AA, crediting to AA but flashing their Qantas Plat card at the lounge to get access, Qantas gets nothing except a bill.

2) I would think, at least base on US law, that QF would have significant liability for selective enforcement
I'd love to see someone attempt to go down the 'sue Qantas' path. It's clearly in the T&C's, and the T&C's are so written that they can be changed at any time with little notice. I also presume Qantas would have ensured that any legal action would have to be taken in Australia. Good luck!

Maybe it will happen. Maybe there are other economics I don't understand...but I think this is inconsistent with previous practices and doesn't make sense.
I presume Qantas doesn't want people who never fly Qantas and only contribute small revenue to Qantas to get a free AA Lounge Access card. In the case of someone who flies AA only just enough to get a Gold or Plat FF status, then discards earning on Qantas until first thing the next year to repeat, I can see the reasons why they might object to that.

It is unfortunate though, that some people are unfairly caught up in this due to circumstance rather than Qantas being able to actively target those who they feel 'abuse' the system the most.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
In the case a person is flying AA, crediting to AA but flashing their Qantas Plat card at the lounge to get access, Qantas gets nothing except a bill.
My guess this is very few QF Platinums: I suspect the vast majority fly numerous OW airlines where QF happily sells miles to those carriers and is well compensated for this activity, offsetting the cost of luange access by a wide margin.

I'd love to see someone attempt to go down the 'sue Qantas' path. It's clearly in the T&C's, and the T&C's are so written that they can be changed at any time with little notice. I also presume Qantas would have ensured that any legal action would have to be taken in Australia. Good luck!
I think US fair trade practices and consumer protection law would apply in the case of a US citizen. I don't think the small print of supposed T&Cs which lure you in under one scheme and then apply selective enforcement or change the rules of the game on a retroactive basis trump general consumer protection laws.

I presume Qantas doesn't want people who never fly Qantas and only contribute small revenue to Qantas to get a free AA Lounge Access card.

It is unfortunate though, that some people are unfairly caught up in this due to circumstance rather than Qantas being able to actively target those who they feel 'abuse' the system the most.
Qantas clearly wants this revenue, and I doubt in the aggregate that it's small. Qantas has been merrily collecting this revenue and renewing status for years, and I suspect they are very pleased -- economically and otherwise -- with this arrangement.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forget QF WP, without the four segment rule, QF SG - which still provides for AC access (with drink vouchers) when travelling oneworld) (if not F/L's) - is very easy to attain in the US (for < USD1000).

I think the situation has been that a regular US traveller would credit a minimum flights on AA each year to QFF to get the SC's for SG, then post the remainder to AAdvantage (better earn/burn rates, far less 'taxes' on redemption etc.)

The 4 segment rule at least forces such players to send some direct fare revenue to Qantas before being awarded any status.

Last edited by serfty; Feb 10, 2008 at 3:52 pm
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:20 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
While I still fly QF SIN-PER-SIN (though Tiger is looking a lot more interesting) and I suppose I would still fly them domestically (if for no other reason to keep miles active - normally not a problem for me but my son may need a flight soon), I will admit that the changes to the redemption rates have made a big difference in my choice of airlines. Last year BA got the choice thanks to reasonable WT+ fares SIN-Canada.

With the advent of QF Y+ and the removal of the BA (and JL) status bonus for AA elite members the question becomes a it less clear-cut. Even so on questions of status mileage then perhaps I would fly QF metal - given approximately the same price.

Looking at a DONE4 to attempt to return to EXP status I suspect that the QF single flight number on the SYD-LHR and SYD-JFK segments will tip the choice in QF's direction for one of them. But that segment along with PER-SYD may be the only QF flights I chose. Only if enough people made the same decision would QF reconsider? And given we live in the "cheap and convenient" society for the average flyer that won't happen.

What would perhaps change my mind? Award seats per se don't thrill me one way or another. But QF really does sit in the stingy corner on upgrades. I don't see any changes but international flights should never fly with more than 2 empty premium seats IF people have asked to pay for them with miles and they sit empty as a result of people NOT paying for them with dollars. WP and SG clear at 48 hours, PS and QP at 24, non-elites at checkin. Would this change availability SYD-LAX or SYD-LHR. Unlikely. PER-NRT? ADL-SIN? Maybe.

Just lounge access is not worth the butt in seat miles for QF membership. Completing four flights is not an issue (Even if AA wanted to enforce it in their program). Remember these are supposed to be frequent flyer memberships with loyalty to the program holder. Not a record of how much you (or your company) can put through an affiliated credit card.

[End rant]

I credited about 270 miles from the Telstra Telecard program in 2007 to my QF account. No flights.

Happily wandering on OneWorld flights (except for QF)

Fred
Old May 6, 2008, 9:12 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Had my 'soft landing' status change go through a few days ago.. I'm only Gold now. But will try to requal for WP again this year.
Old May 6, 2008, 11:33 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Had my 'soft landing' status change go through a few days ago.. I'm only Gold now. But will try to requal for WP again this year.
You might want to update your profile.

<--------- This bit in particular.

Dave
Old Jul 15, 2008, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would AA code, QF metal receive a tilde? Anyone has actual experience?

Last edited by TerryK; Jul 15, 2008 at 6:46 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 15, 2008, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME, it needs to be a QF (or JQ) flight number that earns points/SC's in the QFF program. So:
  • QF flight number on AA metal - Oui
  • AA flight number on QF Metal - Non

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.