Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

4 segments enforced for QF status (merged thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 segments enforced for QF status (merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2007, 4:18 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It would make a difference on the rest of their travel (eg US domestic)
Originally Posted by spotwelder
QF Plat is semi essential for me. I am permanently on-call to travel to Australia from London. I have used the assured seat in Y several times over the last few years. I find the luggage allowance useful as the crash bag now attracts a Ł240 bonus on BA flights, whereas it can be carried on QF flights at no extra charge.
The example on which I commented was a person who travels once a year in F SYD-LHR-SYD. Such a person has no need for lounge access in the USA or to invoke the assured Y seat. My comment was in relation to a once-a-year F traveller not qualifying for status and not missing out on much, and I stand by that comment. You situations are very different from the example on which my comment was based.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:16 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by serfty
Was thinking about some possible reasons for this and hazard a guess there may be quite a few US based QFFers; almost certainly more than there are Oz Based AAers.

QF SG status or better in the US get's one AC access (including complimentary beverages) whenever flying AA (or oneWORLD). AA Plat Status does not come with this access unless flying internationally.

By picking certain flights and fares in the US on AA one could attain QF SG in two days of travel for less than USD1500. By forcing four QF segments it would make it just that 'lil bit more difficult to do so.
Actually you can requalify for WP for under $1300
They've already extended my status till Apr 08, should I worry about they might revoke it before then? I've had flights on BA/AA but no QF segments.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by hautebo
... They've already extended my status till Apr 08, should I worry about they might revoke it before then? I've had flights on BA/AA but no QF segments.
I can't see Qantas revoking status after granting it.

If you've got 'til Apr '08, then I guess you will need four Eligible QF segments between May 1 and then. Any QF segments flown this month probably won't count towards the "four".

Last edited by serfty; Apr 9, 2007 at 10:30 pm
Old Apr 10, 2007, 3:41 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by serfty
I can't see Qantas revoking status after granting it.

If you've got 'til Apr '08, then I guess you will need four Eligible QF segments between May 1 and then. Any QF segments flown this month probably won't count towards the "four".
That's good. Last minute weekend MR's to Australia/NZ are pretty pricy.
I should be able to SFO-YVR runs sometime later this year. I was suprised they extended my WP early, I'd only earned 420 SC's at the time they extended it. Some planned BA flights posted to my BA account instead of QF.

Last edited by hauteboy; Apr 10, 2007 at 3:48 pm
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:33 pm

Programs: QF WP and Lifetime Silver; BA Gold
I wonder whether QF will now start checking the identification of those making domestic flights as I suspect a few overseas FFs desperate to retain QF status will simply have their friends fly four domestic segments under their own name to satisfy this requirement.

i was always surprised by how a mere FF card could result in a boarding card at check in. and much more horrified that any old holder of a Chairman's Lounge card and even their guests need just announce themselves for a boarding card to be issued.

would QF ever know?

would it care?

perverse incentives indeed.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:30 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by da.....L
I wonder whether QF will now start checking the identification of those making domestic flights as I suspect a few overseas FFs desperate to retain QF status will simply have their friends fly four domestic segments under their own name to satisfy this requirement.

i was always surprised by how a mere FF card could result in a boarding card at check in. and much more horrified that any old holder of a Chairman's Lounge card and even their guests need just announce themselves for a boarding card to be issued.

would QF ever know?

would it care?

perverse incentives indeed.
Good Idea, I was thinking about that, too.
Passing my Goldcard to my friends, they enjoy the QP and I get the Segments.

I see no porblem in not checking the identity. With your card you have done identification enought. I am delighted that there are other countries than some in europe where you do not need an ID-Check to fly.
When I started to fly in Germany I never had an ID to prove my identification. In the beginning the ticket was enought. With electronic tickets the Frequent-Flyer Card is sufficient. I see no security problem. My luggage and I are security screened?
There are some countries in Europe that enforce the ID checking (Italy, France, Luxemburg, UK,…) but there are some that do not (Germany, Austria,…) and they do not have security problems.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:08 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
QF flight number, operated by AA. (SFO-LAX) Yes or no?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:22 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Spiff
QF flight number, operated by AA. (SFO-LAX) Yes or no?
Yes, but can only be booked as part of Australia-LAX-SFO.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by number_6
Yes, but can only be booked as part of Australia-LAX-SFO.
Understood and thank you. (I'm actually looking at SFO-LAX-AKL-LAX-SFO)

I'm trying to grab 4 segments and stay as short as possible this year. Next year, I'll plan a longer stay as I now know I need to make a QF trip each year until I hit Life SG.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:24 am
Original Member

...as I now know I need to make a QF trip each year until I hit Life SG.
Ah, the value of lifetime AC access. You already have life Sapphire (from AA) but need QF for the AC part. When QFF is spun off as part of gutting QF, the life SG is almost certain to end (for those who haven't already qualified), so it is a bit risky in view of the current situation.

QF has about 30 codeshares in the US, with varioius airlines (used to have LAX-PHX on HP/US, for example, but that has been discontinued); so you can get 2 extra segments from almost anywhere in the US as part of a QF ticket to Au/NZ.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
Ah, the value of lifetime AC access. You already have life Sapphire (from AA) but need QF for the AC part. When QFF is spun off as part of gutting QF, the life SG is almost certain to end (for those who haven't already qualified), so it is a bit risky in view of the current situation.

QF has about 30 codeshares in the US, with varioius airlines (used to have LAX-PHX on HP/US, for example, but that has been discontinued); so you can get 2 extra segments from almost anywhere in the US as part of a QF ticket to Au/NZ.
Will QFF really get trashed so badly that purchased Lifetime Club is a safer bet than working for Lifetime SG?
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Will QFF really get trashed so badly that purchased Lifetime Club is a safer bet than working for Lifetime SG?
There is nothing to say that anything will happen at all to the Qantas Frequent Flyer scheme , just speculation.

Dave
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:37 pm
Original Member

Lifetime QP seems pretty high risk to me. Access to Qantas Club locations is assured for the next 20 years, but no guarantee about AA and BA lounge access in the long term. QF already has some lounges today which don't allow QP access, and this could grow.

One of the partners in the QF buyout specializes in spinning off FF plans, so what do you think they have in mind for QFF? Of course nothing has been announced -- they didn't even announce their plan to take 36% of the sale price back out of the airline in the first year, until the law required them to make such a disclosure. The QFF changes will be announced as "today we are ..." rather than "next year we are ...". Do you really think they would leave over a billion on the table, just to keep the FF members happy?
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:33 pm

Programs: QF SG, AA Plat
I just noticed that my QFF Full Summary page used to have a eligible flight count on it, but its now gone.

In the flight summary page it still has ~ next to the appropriate flights.

Chrisb.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chrisb
I just noticed that my QFF Full Summary page used to have a eligible flight count on it, but its now gone.

In the flight summary page it still has ~ next to the appropriate flights.

Chrisb.
Have you met the 4 flight requirement? If so, that will be why it has disappeared

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.